Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 732 Unique Visitors
9,055 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,766 Page Views | 19,092 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
Is anybody doing scans for Airbnb or similar home sharing services? I was just looking over the site to see what sort of videos they had of properties, and I saw that they don't seem to have any video tours or any sort.

I have a bit of a connection to one of the founders of Airbnb that I could reach out to to see if they might be interested in adding 3D Showcase capabilities to their site so that we could reach out to property owners to offer to scan their properties.

As it stands now, it looks like if an owner did want their property scanned, there would be no way for them to embed the 3D Showcase on the Airbnb site.

Craig
Post 1 IP   flag post
Orange, California
Vrbo.com at least has video tours, but it may only allow links to youtube videos.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Tim private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah mate, a global approach would be fantastic I think...
Post 3 IP   flag post
fabien private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

I think that Airbnb have freelance photographs to do the job so I don't know how you can prevent them to directly buy and use Matterport on their own but if you have a good contact there, then I will be very curious to know about the pricing and their interest regarding this technology. I've read an interview of the French CEO of Century 21 and he said that the cost for a freelance photograph is around 150€. However, they are more looking at home staging tools like Magicplan so I hope that Matterport is working on that.

Regards

Fabien
Post 4 IP   flag post
Missoula, MT
rpetersn private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Craig...

I love your idea here. I'm a "Matterporter" and own two properties that we list on both VRBO & AirBnB.

Here's a link to my VRBO where I have one of our Matterport Tours linked WAY down below the "Owner Info":

http://www.vrbo.com/171639#ownerprofile

I have the link labeled "CLICK HERE - Wilma Condo Virtual Tour".

I've offered my scanning service to a few other VRBO owners and haven't found much traction yet. I suspect that this is partly because VRBO owners are regularly getting hit up with lots of spam for various new services.

What it would take is a "global approach" as Tim notes. I see that VRBO partnered up with "Sphere" to allow for the inclusion of a single 360 panorama to be connected. I went ahead and created one of these as well:

To see it on VRBO, go to the top of my listing (on a desktop) and click on the grey "360" button that overlays the main image:

http://www.vrbo.com/171639

I then wrote to VRBO about the potential option of including our Matterport Scans in this same way....but no luck. Just got a boilerplate/robot response back.

Anyway...a long-winded response here, but I think this is a HUGE market for Matterport if a relationship could be created between one of these bigger listing companies (VRBO / AirBnB).

Craig, if there's anything you think I/we can do to assist...please let me know!
Post 5 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Craig

I would definitely be interested in doing work for AirBnB. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help make this happen. If you would like to hold a conference call between all of use who have shown interest to discuss in detail a plan going forward just let me and the others know.

Best regards
Gary
Post 6 IP   flag post
Orange, California
Ron, it's nice to see the 3D Showcase for your condo along with the "Sphere" 360. Really shows how superior the 3D Showcase is, even for a small space like that.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Orange, California
Gary,

I just completed a scan of a very nice home in Palm Springs, CA for some friends with some VRBO connections. I'll see if I can generate some interest with them.

I'm going to reach out to my AirBnB connection, although I have to think that through a little, because my connection isn't direct and I have to be a little careful how I approach him. I'll post back here in a few days with hopefully a bit of a plan for how to proceed, even if that plan is probably going to just be a conference call with interested parties to make a plan.

Craig
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thanks Craig I look forward to your update.

All the best
Gary
Post 9 IP   flag post
Orange, California
It took me a little longer than I hoped, but I finally made contact with one of the head guys at Airbnb. He said he was busy this week, but would talk about my email with some of the other guys there and get back to me. And he said if he didn't get back to me by the 12th I should email him again.

So that's the update so far. Will post again when I get his response.

Craig
Post 10 IP   flag post
Missoula, MT
Thx for the update Craig!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Sweet
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thank for the update Craig
Post 13 IP   flag post
Orange, California
Realized I haven't updated in a while: after getting a little bit of the run around, I have an actual phone meeting on Thursday with someone from Airbnb. Will post a real update after that meeting!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Thanks again Craig for updating us. Good luck with your meeting on Thursday.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Missoula, MT
Ditto...thanks again Craig. Look forward to hearing what you learn and best of luck.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Orange, California
So I had my phone meeting with one of the product managers at Airbnb this morning, and it went pretty well. He seemed to really like the 3D Showcase and had a lot of intelligent questions about how it could work for Airbnb property owners. He said he would talk about with his coworkers and discuss it further.

No concrete plans were established, but he suggested that a path forward might be to do a pilot run with a number of properties in a market, in order to try to assess the potential return on investment for a property owner who invests in a 3D Showcase.

I'll contact him again in a couple weeks if I haven't heard back.

Overall it was a pretty upbeat and positive meeting. Fingers crossed that the other people at Airbnb get excited about it.

Craig
Post 17 IP   flag post
👍 We will try and g up a couple of free demos to airbnb accomodation providers in order to access feedback...
Post 18 IP   flag post
markmc90 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the update. I look forward to hearing more.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thanks for the update Craig, sounds promising. I'll keep my fingers crossed as well in hoping that an opportunity comes from your discussions with Airbnb.

All the best
Gary
Post 20 IP   flag post
vmysin private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Craig! Any update on the Airbnb meeting? @craigsauer

Viktoria
Post 21 IP   flag post
Orange, California
I sent a followup email a couple weeks ago but got no response

I'll try again in a week or so.

Craig
Post 22 IP   flag post
Good luck Craig, I hope they get back to you next time.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Orange, California
Just tried another followup with my contact at AirBnB yesterday, and was pleased to get a reply this time! I mentioned that Matterport had made (or announced...) a number of big improvements since we'd last talked. He wrote back and asked for more details, which I provided (including the news this morning about Apartments.com, which I thought might be of interest).

He continues to seem very interested but also says his team is very busy and couldn't do anything about integrating Matterport into AirBnB anytime soon. I imagine that if Matterport corporate is making deals with the likes of Apartments.com they should be reaching out to AirBnB through their own channels as well.

Sorry the news isn't more, but I thought I'd share.

Craig
Post 24 IP   flag post
Thanks Craig for the update. We can only keep our fingers crossed that AirBnB will see the light and recommend to anyone listing a property that they should include a VT in their property page.
Post 25 IP   flag post
smcclell private msg quote post Address this user
I had not seen this post before now and had been recently using AirBnB thinking is the perfect service for VT's as you are not likely to see the property you are going to till you get there!

It is strange they have not adopted even video yet, it seems to me to be a issue of consistency in quality maybe.

You have done great to be talking with them already and now it's just a matter of time till they see it emerging in the industry and they'll come right to you

*edit
Does anyone know if the hosts are able to source their own photographers or must go through AirBnB?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Max_Sodomovskiy private msg quote post Address this user
They meet regularly https://www.airbnb.ru/meetups/ Go someone to meet them. Then tell us.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Hilton Head Island, SC
CathieRasch private msg quote post Address this user
My husband's family has a home on Hilton Head Island that they market on www.vrbo.com. We would be happy to help with this project if there is anything that we can do, just let me know.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Hi Cathie, does your family have any contacts with the management at HomeAway. If there is a management team for the UK I'd be glad to pitch for everyone at least as a door opener.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Noel private msg quote post Address this user
@smcclell
The best way to get to Photograph AirBnb properties is to register via
https://www.airbnb.com.au/careers/departments/position/2243
It is to keep the Quality control and a standard of photography
Post 30 IP   flag post
101749 36 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?