Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 674 Unique Visitors
9,055 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,711 Page Views | 19,043 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

Matterport: Why Kill Others Tools/Solutions?2665

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @jntooker
Out of curiosity, does anyone know why MP chose to disable 3rd party SW? I understand the T&C have been violated but does anyone have any idea if they are actually opposed to 3rd party development? In other words, what is their motivation - is this a power play or a failure to adapt?

@jntooker

I have been using the Matterport Camera since July 2014.

While Matterport has made great progress improving its platform, among the most improvements were there ...

Matterport disabled these three (3) tools:

MP2SQFT Beta Square Feet/Meters Calculator Tool by @Metroplex360
MatterPoint XYZ Point Cloud Download Tool by @Metroplex360
2D Furniture Planner Tool for Matterport Models by @Metroplex360

Matterport asked two developers to take down their Matterport to Google Street View solutions:

✓ MP2SV (backstory)
✓ MP2GSV (backstory)

In this discussion, the developer quotes from a Matterport email requesting the take-down for violating the Matterport Terms of Service:

---------

"Hello Alexander [at Howner.com],"

"I work at Matterport, and after a long discussion with the executives here, we have confirmed that Howner’s “Matterport Spaces 2 Google Street View” conversion process does violate our Terms of Service and we cannot make an exception here."

"To be clear, here is key section in our Terms of Service:"

"Section 7.1.2: “You may not: (a) host any digital copy of Showcase Imagery or take other measures to make Showcase Imagery available to users directly from Your servers or any third-party servers provided on Your behalf; or (b) download any digital copy of Showcase Imagery to a local computer and redistribute such digital copy (or any modified version of such digital copy or other derivative work) for any purpose.”

"We know you have invested time and effort into this, so this is not the news you wanted to hear. We do wish to foster a rich third-party environment and believe you could be a great contributor. We are aware that some have expressed confusion over our Terms of Service -- we may improve and clarify them in the future. If there is any question in your mind, you can always reach out to us to ask for clarification at beta@matterport.com, before you invest significant time in project in the future."

"So we are asking you to please remove the service. Can you do this within 48 hours?"

"Thank you,"

[Redacted]
----------------------

What's missing from that email is why Matterport wanted to kill Matterport to Google Street View conversion and publishing?

Matterport needs to be transparent and authentic with us (all).

While I can image that Matterport plans to offer Matterport to Google Street View conversion and publishing service - to add a huge amount of value to Matterport Service Providers and our clients, it should at least allow 3rd party solutions to live until it reserves this feature exclusively for itself. (Even though the smaller, agile 3rd party solution providers will do a better job.)

Considering that it is easier to locate Big Foot than at least one previously announced service two years ago - but not released feature - 3rd party developers provide a valuable service to the entire eco-system.

We would like to see Matterport tell us WHY and be transparent and authentic in its answer.

When @Metroplex360 asked Matterport this question on 14 June 2016:

"It would be WONDERFUL if our Matterport tours could be exported as street view tours. This would open us MSP providers up to offering an additional product and would also potentially begin a formal relationship with Google. Google has been promoting the Ricoh Theta S as a Streetview Solution. How many more Matterport Cameras could you guys sell if you were offered as solution there too?"

"From a technical aspect, I cannot imagine that this would be difficult to offer as Matterport's technology is already so advanced and already knows how to map each scene. Google's Streetview format should be easy to master for the wizards at Matterport!"

It was disingenuous of Matterport to reply:

"This is great! We're always on the lookout for new opportunities like this. The more demand there is more for Matterport Spaces, the more business our customers will get -- everyone wins! I've passed it on to the team here, keep the ideas coming..."

Had Matterport REALLY meant that, they would have been THRILLED when @Metroplex360 launched MP2SV.com to convert and publish Matterport Spaces to Google Street View.

What do you think?

WHY has Matterport killed five extremely useful tools/solutions that solved real problems for Matterport Pros and added a ton of value to Matterport Pros and our clients?

#frustrated

Dan

P.S. I have asked a question - WHY - that 10,000 monthly Visitors to the We Get Around Forum want to know ...
Post 1 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
No CEO in its right mind would have pulled the plug like this, a it did not cost them anything for the development of the 3rd party apps, instead it could create more awareness for Matterport and business. Wonder what the investors have to say about this?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Standard
Wandsworth U.K.
RobinLycka private msg quote post Address this user
@JC3DCX I´ll tell you what the investors have to say about this: "Why are they doing this and not us? You need t oshut this down immideitaly so we can make our own solution for it and monetize on it."

I have to date not met an investor who has been genuinely interested in other things than getting their ROI. After all that´s what they do. Their biggest fear is "enabling users" and "open source", because there is no money in that. They always have an exit strategy.
Post 3 IP   flag post
101751 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?