Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 473 Unique Visitors
9,022 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 40,828 Page Views | 20,383 Unique Visitors | 44 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Ashton KutcherCBRECommentaryEntertainmentNews CorpTravel

Sweet Deal: Matterport Equity for Influence2392

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Sweet Deal: Matterport Equity for Influence

I could imagine that today’s Matterport news (9 August 2016) - Matterport Adds Strategic Investors – is about buying into market penetration faster in news, entertainment, travel and hospitality and commercial real estate more than about raising cash (if any). That’s brilliant. For Matterport Service Providers, this is great news. More on that in a New York minute.

I could imagine that Matterport has been aggressively pursuing commercial real estate powerhouse, CBRE, the world’s largest commercial real estate services provider. Though I have no direct knowledge of any of this, I could imagine that CBRE said we’ll promote you. We can help you get traction faster, BUT, you have to pony-up some equity to make it worthwhile.

I could imagine a similar conversation with global mega-media giant News Corp. with major media holdings in newspapers, magazines, television, film cable, internet and ding-ding-ding real estate listings such as realtor.com (to name one of MANY). Again, I could imagine Rupert Murdoch personally telling his super-smart lieutenants to move fast. Move big and make sure you get a piece of the action for us because anything we do will add a huge amount of value to Matterport.

And, trading some stock for some influence will Ashton Kutcher is golden. For a Silicon Valley-based company, Hollywood may not be the easiest door to open, unless you are the guest of an A-lister. Yeahhh! Brilliant. What a great way for Matterport to fast-track Matterport Spaces 3D/VR Tours of behind-the-scenes tours of sound stages for the fans, to integrating Matterport in storylines and Matterport Spaces of homes of A-listers for sale. And, that's just the start of the possibilities. Did someone say, "VR meets Hollywood"?

And, the only thing I know about Luminari Capital (love the name) is that they are in investor in Roku. (I our Roku) Seems like a great way to open doors for tech meets entertainment.

Notice that in Matterport’s announcement today, there was no mention of the amount of money raised.

“These investors offer us significant experience and relationships in some of our fastest-growing industry segments, such as commercial real estate, media and publishing, travel and hospitality, and more," Inman News wrote quoting Matterport VR of Marketing Linda Itskovitz. "The investment is to fund Matterport’s growth, and just as important are the strategic relationships that come about from having these additional investors.”

I could imagine that no money was raised. Or, just a de minimis amount. Simply, Matterport gives out equity and gets immediate street cred resulting in fast-tracked meetings and deals. It is all very strategic and it’s all very exciting.

Inman Connect also wrote: “We’re excited to welcome strategic investors who believe in the power of 3D immersive media, VR and Matterport’s ability to transform industries,” said Bill Brown, CEO of Matterport, in a press release. “They bring a wealth of experience in residential and commercial real estate, travel and hospitality, vacation rentals, and media publishing, and they share our vision of giving people the freedom to experience any place at any time.”

For the Matterport User Group Forum community - Matterport Service Providers and Real Estate Agents - we all are first quintile people. We “get it.” Matterport 3D/VR is the visual storytelling tool for any/all spaces, and with the recent announcement about outdoor scans, THE solution for indoors and now OUTDOORs (very soon) too.

Yet, many of us feel like pitching Matterport is like trying to roll a snowball up a mountain. (And, we enthusiastically do so.) Today’s news will soon translate to feeling like chasing an ever increasing in size snowball down the mountain as our phones and email boxes light-up with prospects ready to be clients and we have the high-class problem of too much business. ("Yes. Please deliver that cash to our loading dock and we'll (try out best to) move you closer to the front of the line." )

Surprisingly, just two major trade media outlet covered the story today, TechCrunch and Inman News. Once the deals start happening as a result of today’s news, look for major media coverage (and adoption) beyond a couple of tech savvy trades.

We (all) get it. Soon everyone will get how the world is changing and we’re the pioneers in something big. Turns out it’s a sweet deal for us too. Soon, everyone will have Virtual Reality on the Brain powered by Matterport.

What else? What are your thoughts about today’s announcement by Matterport?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
StevenHattan private msg quote post Address this user
Sure would be nice to chase a snowball. Too bad it doesn't snow in Georgia! ;-)
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@StevenHattan

Soon, all of us will experience Atlanta Snowmageddon 2014

It may not be 2016. It may not be 2017. But it WILL happen and those of us in early will be ready to make snow angels that we have the foresight and fortitude to be an early adopter.

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
StevenHattan private msg quote post Address this user
Well, whatever happens, happens. I will continue to grow my business everyday and add relevant services that make sense.

I'm going to hit 300 models later this month so I hope all this hard work pays off eventually.
Post 4 IP   flag post
101269 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?