Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 473 Unique Visitors
9,024 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 40,828 Page Views | 20,383 Unique Visitors | 46 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360 VideosBoatsPilot EraPilot OneScanningYachts

Yacht Matterport scanning & challenges12826

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys,

I have a request to do a 90 foot yacht/boat. At this point I do not know whether they want a 3D tour or or want me to walk through it with my Pilot Era and record a 360 degree video walk through. I have emailed to them asking to confirm even though their request has come under 360 video service title.

If it is the video it should not be a problem. I can either put it on my head and walk through the whole boat or keep it on a tripod in one spot for 1 minute with me hiding, then pause the video, come to it and move to a new spot and repeat.

However if they want a 3D tour I remember somebody has mentioned once it is a challenge if water is not calm as a Matterport camera thinks it is unstable and cannot scan properly.

If somebody has done boats especially those that are sitting on water is it a big problem with doing it with a Pro2?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Orange, California
craigsauer private msg quote post Address this user
I've done a yacht while it was docked and a few smaller houseboats on a lake, and had no problem with either. The yacht had a lot of glossy wood paneling inside that was difficult but otherwise it went well.
Post 2 IP   flag post
castaway private msg quote post Address this user
Just a few theories I've run by others who tested them on yachts with decent results.

If you scan it? Recommend scanning from the lowest deck up, if you can protract the scan over days to make the most of civil twilight before dawn, just after dusk, as a way of protecting the MP camera from infrared(reflected and refracted off water, atmosphere/haze, glare, etc.), at least mirror marking portholes if not all done in civil twilight before the sun is over the horizon.

I'd be careful with markings for glass, chrome, mirrors, as far as how markings can extend beyond the floor you mark them on, blocking movement

For the upper deck? I'd do the transition from inside to out at civil twilight only, super low scans (tripod all the way close to the ground as possible), strictly during civil twilight, to where you can see the outline of the upper deck.

From there i'd make a circle of trim around the vessel (removing everything outside the vessel), leaving enough room for a circle of mirror markings between the trim and the vessel's edge, markings arrow for the mirror markings pointed towards the vessel as though the outside world were a big mirror). I'd take a screenshot of the scans I had there, make a duplicate and continue from the duplicate, adding low scans (to be hidden on upload), then carry on with the rest of scanning on the upper deck.

Before uploading, I might make a duplicate and remove(on a conspicuously-marked duplicate only) the initial low low scans I did before I'd marked the trim and mirrors (in case their alignment is whacked).

Maybe okay if you're at sea on absolutely glassy water.

But be in a dock, around ships, and/or in non-glassy-still water, aside from the ships motion maybe causing instability of the scans? The surroundings will all be moving up and down with the water, which you know what that's going to do to alignment.

Whereas the scans done after everything outside the deck has been removed (with trim and mirror markings) as far as aligning to? Leaves the sunlight and alignment with indoor scans as the main obstacles. At least in theory. But it's helped/worked before.

Unless they have mirrored ceilings in the yacht and then maybe video on a gimbal and be done with it

Hope this helps.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Gladsmuir private msg quote post Address this user
Hi @Wingman,
This tour is of a small hotel barge.
The vessel was moored for the 3D tour, and on open water with the engines running for some of the 360s.
Neither presented any major problems, but I did have to repeat some of the latter shots as the land/water/sky showed signs of misalignment.
The biggest issue was trying to get two feet away from the nearest object in such a confined space.
I shot additional 360s in corners so I could grab the widest stills possible.
kind regards
Oliver

Post 4 IP   flag post
Deasunmac private msg quote post Address this user
@Gladsmuir very nice tour. Good work Oliver.
Regards
Des
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman

Congrats on your potential engagement. Very exciting.

WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Yachts | Boats | Airplanes

Are you able to use your Labpano Pilot Era for close-up work? I find that when I use the Labpano Pilot One for 360 panos up close, I get distortion. (I do set the stitching focus at 2 meters: the closest setting.)

Please do share the results of your project.

Again, best wishes on this potential gig.

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
@DanSmigrod

I do not really see any difference whether a focus distance is set to 2m or to infinity. I have just made two 360s in the same spot with a door frame being about 30cm from the front lens. One was set to 2m and another to infinity.
No stitching errors or distortions on either 360 in front where the door frame is close but small stitching errors appear when you inspect it closer to Nadir/Zenith.
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Thanks guys. it is good to know that even if it is docked on water there should be no problem with scanning it with Matterport.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
I have finished the super yacht. It has taken me two days with about 10 hour of scanning in total.

I have been asked to do detailed scanning so I have about 500 scan points over three decks. Technically four if I count a fly deck. It is like a huge 4 bedroom house which indeed has 6 bedrooms if I count crew quarters near the engine room. I will share it when I can.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Wingman

Cool! Looking forward to seeing the super yacht. Sounds very exciting.

Thanks for sharing it when you can.

Best,

Dan

P.S. Thanks for ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Wingman
@DanSmigrod

I do not really see any difference whether a focus distance is set to 2m or to infinity. I have just made two 360s in the same spot with a door frame being about 30cm from the front lens. One was set to 2m and another to infinity.
No stitching errors or distortions on either 360 in front where the door frame is close but small stitching errors appear when you inspect it closer to Nadir/Zenith.

Interesting! I wonder why I have had bad distortions / stitching errors with up-close furniture/door frames (even when making the lens "flat" to the closet thing).
Post 10 IP   flag post
Paulo private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman

Congratulations! Looking forward to see the result.
Do you mind sharing any issues you had during scanning or advices/best practices on scanning the yacht?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Gladsmuir private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman That will be an interesting tour to view!
@DanSmigrod I have also had consistent scanning errors when the Matterport is 12 to 18 inches from window / door frames / stair rails.
At 24 inches the issue seems to be resolved.
Anyone else got any experience of a solution?
Oliver
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Gladsmuir
@DanSmigrod I have also had consistent scanning errors when the Matterport is 12 to 18 inches from window / door frames / stair rails.
At 24 inches the issue seems to be resolved.

Thanks for letting me know.

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
101274 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?