Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 674 Unique Visitors
9,056 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,711 Page Views | 19,043 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

What is an "As-Built"? (You do this and why it 'Matters')!9352

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

A WGAN Member emailed me...

"Hi Dan, I hope you don't mind me asking you technical questions. You know this stuff inside and out.]

A prospect emailed him:

"I’m looking for someone to scan existing office space to provide an as built of both above and below existing ceilings. Is this something you’re able to perform? Thank You ..."

The WGAN Member writes:

"I have no idea what that means. I'm guessing that's more than what the camera does or is it just me not understanding?"

----

I replied,

Hi [redacted],

Thanks for reaching out.

Typically, when someone is asking for an as built, it is a signal that they are about to renovate an existing space using CAD and that they either do not have existing CAD files of the space (typical) or that the space has changed significantly from when it was originally designed and the existing CAD is of no value.

It turns out that when you create a Matterport 3D Tour, you are also creating all the data that is necessary to construct the "as built" - that's the Matterport MatterPak (which contains a point cloud and object file).

Clients typically need the Matterport Object File (.obj) converted to a Revit (.rvt) file or SketchUp file (.skp) or .dwg file.

(We Get Around offers Matterport MatterPak file conversion - and related - services. )

When you scan the space for an "as built" you need to:

✓ scan a deep mesh (no black spots in your mini-map); keep the camera closer between each scan point
✓ open all closets regardless of how messy. Scan to see the floor and ceiling spaces in closets
✓ don't attempt outside spaces, unless we talk

Rather than offering the Client the MatterPak directly, ask them what CAD program and that use and ask if they perfer a .skp, .rvt, .dwg or something else. Ask how and why they will use the file. That insight may trigger other services to offer (ask me when you know more).

The question of how to price will come up.

Unlike residential real estate, it will take you longer to scan all those open closets, and get a dense mesh (so that they will love you and want to engage you again).

Three recommendations on pricing:

1. include the converted file in the cost of the project (MatterPak + We Get Around fee)
2. charge at cost for the MatterPak + We Get Around fee
3. mark-up the additional expense 2 to 3 times

Pricing depends on whether you want the cost per SQ FT number to be the lowest and make $$$ on the additional service.

Does this get you started?

Best,

Dan

P.S. In the long run, creating "as-builts" is a great business to be in. You should be able to make more money on creating "as-builts" than doing residential real estate listings.
Post 1 IP   flag post
New Westminster B.C.
thorn604 private msg quote post Address this user
quick correction - the .obj file is not used to build an accurate as-built... it is the .xyz point-cloud file that you would want to create an accurate as-built using an industry standard CAD program.

If the MSP is a competent/experienced scanner, we can create the as-built drawings for them from their MP scans.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@thorn604 Thanks!

Hi All,

Here is an excellent case-study of Matterport to "As-Built" for McDonald's restaurant refurbishment by UK-based @AngusNorriss with Imagineer Consulting

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
101751 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?