Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 732 Unique Visitors
9,055 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,766 Page Views | 19,092 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum

How much should I rent my Matterport camera?447

Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
I've got a request from a local photo / video real estate agency to rent my camera (and cloud space) as they try to figure out if they want to buy their own.

Aside from the competitive aspect, which I'm not too worried, I was wondering if you had this kind of requests before. If so, would you mind sharing how much you charged for a day of camera use?

Feel free to message me directly if you prefer a private conversation. Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Jamie private msg quote post Address this user
I'd be careful. The small amount you can rent it for may not be worth the risk if they break it. Also it gives them the feel for it and might make them get their own.
You can't do the work for them?
If you price the rental high enough, it may force them to just get you to do it.

Make sure you let them know about processing fees
Post 2 IP   flag post
CarlosFHdz private msg quote post Address this user
I would recommend taking a refundable deposit in case they break it.
Post 3 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
I get inquiries quite often for people wanting to have a so called POC so they can determine if they want to use my services, ya right . But in every case so far these have turned out to be people who are looking at buying there own camera and want to pick my brain if the camera can do this or that and I have never had a job come of it. To date I have no idea if any of them ever purchased a camera and you can be dame sure that MP wont tell you if they did.

If these people are so interested do like I did quote them a price and if they're serious they will pay you to shoot the POC, they can even take part in the shoot. They can then decide if they want to purchase a camera or not but at least you made something out it instead of wasting your time. But what ever you do don't rent out your camera.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Thanks all for the answers. The proposal I got is for $45 / day + processing fees for 10 test models. Not a bad deal if you are on the other side :-)

As you can imagine, I'm declining this opportunity.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Wow, did they expect you would go for that?
A price for rent (and like Gary said, don't do it) should be in the hundreds with a few thousand damage deposit, plus credit card details.
You are risking getting a new competitor and a broken camera.
I would never do it
Post 6 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with Jamie, your are renting a high end camera. It would be classed in the same category as a cine camera and they rent for hundreds a day. The price you are charging is what someone would pay a day for a DSLR minus the lens. You should also check you insurance I'm sure it wont cover damage to your camera.

On the credit card front tell the renter that you will take a $5k deposit and it will be refunded once the camera is returned in good working nick. This may be a scam and you will never see your camera again. Of course they have no idea that they can use the camera if you shut down your account but that another story.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
I passed the opportunity as all the arguments you listed make complete sense to me. Thank you again!
Post 8 IP   flag post
ccctucker private msg quote post Address this user
When I get asked about the camera from agents, I deeply discourage them from buying their own. It's not for the reason of competition, it's about the reality that this is a technical job that takes time to master. I am sure that anyone can do it, but most people won't take the time to do it right and it will just become another tool that sits in the shed (being charged $50 a month) because "it didn't make a magical perfect job." Or they get that room from hell that due to sunlight or a mirror, it won't register immediately- another reason to put it away. Many of the agents I have met didn't give me the impression that they have patience or time to do this. Why not educate them from failure...
Post 9 IP   flag post
crullier private msg quote post Address this user
CCCtucker, you have some very valid points. There is always some type of learning curve and time investment. Realtors are usually very busy.
Post 10 IP   flag post
You can always tell them you should get your realtors license as well.
The realtors that want to do their own photography are generally not very busy selling things. The ones I work for are normally busy on their phone or running around. They don't have time to do photography
Post 11 IP   flag post
crullier private msg quote post Address this user
^ correct.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I've only had 3 realtors tell me they should get a matterport themselves.
My response now is "you're not to busy? Oh, most of the guys I do this for are so busy selling houses they wouldn't dream of doing this. If you wanted, you can come work for me?"

If they have any ego, they will dismiss it so quick and lose the idea through embarrassment
Post 13 IP   flag post
101749 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?