Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 732 Unique Visitors
9,055 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,766 Page Views | 19,092 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
Except for disabling a few lighting incongruity scans and maybe shortening a couple of long driveway runs, this job is finished. The processing engine gave up on it back at 325 scans, so I kept scanning then did some finagling. My only issues with it are 2 tilted areas and I would really, really like to navigate through the intro run of 360 views with the up arrow key! If MP implemented matterposts into 360 views, I think I could do it.

I'm starting what may ultimately become a 1000 scan model early tomorrow morning, and I now do so with confidence that it will actually work!

Another idea I stumbled onto while doing this would be to do a long path on, say, the north side of a hallway during the day, then scan the same path again on, say, the south side at night. This would add great depth to communicating different personalities of a space depending on lighting conditions.

I was wondering how to do the same thing with, say, a convention room set up for different events but, of course, the geometry would kill that. BUT, you could have several matterposts in 1 door linking to different scanned setups.

I really love this stuff. I welcome your criticisms, reactions and ideas and yes, Metroplex, I am still visible as an ethereal reflection in 3 or 4 scans. Also let me know if the links do not work or get flaky. Thanks.

And a shoutout to craigsauer for a hint!

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=h9cg5FUdoQH
Post 1 IP   flag post
UserName private msg quote post Address this user
Hopefully they'll convert that to a VR model. Your blue dots also work as advertised.

Post 2 IP   flag post
Vizocube private msg quote post Address this user
Please share info how you were able to install external links in to mattertags

Thanks
Post 3 IP   flag post
smcclell private msg quote post Address this user
It is something Matterport is working on at the moment. The process is covered by NDA at the moment but I presume that they will release the function soon enough.

Some people (Beta testers) are able to use them so that they can refine the process and how they are used etc.
Post 4 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
Wow, very well done and would look stunning in VR.

Love all the outside scans,
Post 5 IP   flag post
CDM private msg quote post Address this user
Hospitality - Same room different set ups - we are going to implement the 360 image for these. That way the viewer can get a walk through view of the room and a view of what it looks like set up. The matter tag will read "click highlight reel for room set up options" or something like that.

Any other thoughts please share on how to show different banquet room set ups easily.

THX
Chris
Post 6 IP   flag post
Vizocube private msg quote post Address this user
This is more towards Matterport wish list I guess...We were asked by hotel marketing team if we can include external links in tags to mark their common space and be able to book rooms, check out menus and make table reservations. As well as lounge area guest list reservations, book cabanas etc. Would be very nice if this happens sooner then later.
Post 7 IP   flag post
immersiveprop private msg quote post Address this user
Did Matterport charge you more for processing such a big model? Their site says you only get 200 scans per model count.
Post 8 IP   flag post
UserName private msg quote post Address this user
Here's what a tweaked 360 photo might look like. Click the photos to "try to" see a larger version. That doesn't seem to work too well in the forum.

The top ORIGINAL is a scene from the Little Hawkins Island property. The bottom ENHANCEMENT photo is sharper, reveals more detail, has more contrast, deeper shadows and a more colorful green yard light glow (seen in the photo's lower left corner and barely visible in the ORIGINAL). The enhanced sky is bluer, but we can adjust it or any object in a photo to make things appear any way we like. Companies even exist that tweak skies for realtor photos (link)

At the very least, I might sharpen a photo if the camera that took it didn't show as much detail as one could possibly obtain via photo enhancement. Compare the bushes, walkway tiles and the distant house in the ORIGINAL and the ENHANCEMENT to see how moderate sharpening brings out details. Depending on how you play with colors and light, you can make a 360 photo appear more like dawn, twilight or even mid day.

Double-click the image here to perhaps see even larger photos. The bigger the photos, the better you can see the differences. Those difference may not be very apparent when looking at these small photos. If you could view full screen images, which you can't, you'd see that the enhanced version has a larger dynamic color and contrast range than the original.

Also Note how much greener and vibrant the lawn in front of the white house appears in the ENHANCED photo. I'll assume that the sky wasn't "kind of white", as seen in the ORIGINAL photo, the day the scan was taken. The tweaked photo may enhance reality but the original photo doesn't capture reality either. In the real world, for example, objects as seen in the original, don't seem a tad blurry to our eyes when we view them with our eyes.

If I have time, I might stitch together a few of these screenshots and see how they look in Gear VR. If we maxed out the tweaking, we'd come close to creating a very colorful fantasy VR gaming environment.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Cabrahams private msg quote post Address this user
SO I am in discussion to do a property that's 18,000 sq.ft.! I'm about to explain that not only will this take two days to scan but also it will most likely (why I'm posting here - to confirm), also have to be done in two separate models.

Has anyone done a model this large and how many scans did it take.

The number of scans that have worked seems to be getting larger from my discussions w Matterport, though I haven't seen a property this large.

Thanks in advance.

Charlie
Post 10 IP   flag post
Little Hawkins was 11,000+ plus a lot of outside. I linked 3 models but the links have stopped working.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Cabrahams private msg quote post Address this user
I have scanned a 13,000 sq.ft. home that was just around 300 scans and worked fine. Again I keep hearing the 500 # batted around out there.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Mine honked out at 325. processed for 4 days and was still spinning when I deleted.
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Sunset inside and nighttime outside

Sunset in living room (close to the window)

Night scan in the terrace near the fire place

@HarlanHambright

About showing different lighting in the same model (for example: day, sunset and night)

Above are a few examples I took a while a go.

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@HarlanHambright

About a space configured differently with two passes at it - such as a conference room set up with stadium seating and then U-Shape seating - I could imagine shooting a 360ยบ View or two to show the re-configured room.

I have not had a chance to test walking the same path with the camera 3 feet over to show the change.

I would to shoot a sound-stage empty and then filled. In this case, as long as the "path" for the camera remained the same (except three feet over), it (should) not be an issue with the "mesh" creating "walls" ...

Dan
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@HarlanHambright

So, @Tosolini beat you by seven scans in this 400 scan model ...

17,500 sf

Big

Keep in mind that Matterport supports models of up to 200 scans and up to 10,000 sf.

While many of use have greatly exceeded these numbers - I recall that I did about 350 scans in each of the two models above - I ALWAYS duplicate the model; then delete scans to get to 200.

Why?

Because large models can crash webGL.

We always manage clients' expectations that while we will shoot it as one model, we may need to divide the space in two so that it either processes or does not crash webGL.

Dan
Post 16 IP   flag post
101749 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?