Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 40 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Capture AppFloor PlansProblemsScanningStrategy

Help Please: Scanning a Large Venue over 12,000 SqFt - Need Advice9899

3dFlex private msg quote post Address this user
Hi folks, I have the challenge of scanning an Art Gallery/Event Venue here in Charlotte 'Foundation for the Carolinas', https://www.fftc.org/. It's a big deal and I want to get it right! Ths size is over 12,000 Sq ft on 2 floors (1st and 4th).

Questions: Is there an issue uploading scans of this size?
Are there certain technics to employ?
What's the best pricing plan for uploading so many scans to MP?

Oh, and lot's of big glass windows too! I have 8 days to prepare for this.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Jerry
Post 1 IP   flag post
DougMagners private msg quote post Address this user
@3dFlex
Hi Jerry,
What is the goal of the scan? Just the virtual tour for a marketing application or do they need accurate point clouds for design work?

Best,
Doug
Post 2 IP   flag post
Hi Doug,

The goal is to have the Matterport Scan rendered on a 3rd party application that will allow the planners to virtually furnish the space to suit the end-user for event planning.

Thanks,
Jerry
Post 3 IP   flag post
DougMagners private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Jerry,
That is something new to me. The reason I asked is because if the scan is intended for internal use only (not for marketing to the public), I would recommend introducing objects in the scene, such as furniture or other things that can be used as unique targets to help the system work in a large area. To that end, I would also recommend printing the April tags from Matterport's website and putting those up to help with alignment. Again, recommended if this is not for public consumption (but may be necessary regardless).

I'm relatively new to Matterport so I'm sure others have more tips for a space like this, but this comes from my experience using other LIDAR scanners in the past.

Best luck and I look forward to seeing what others recommend and how this all turns out!

Best,
Doug
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Jerry @3dFlex

Welcome to the WGAN Forum ...

1. Under promise and over deliver - let your client know that you will be delivering two separate models: one for each floor. While you can try to do it in one model - scanning the four-stories of stair cases to get there - if you don't have a current iPad, some WGAN Members have reported challenges when models start to get large. So, if you experience problems while trying to keep it in one model, duplicate the model. One is for the 1st floor and one is for 4th floor. You can "connect" the models either with deep links at the elevator and/or embedding the other tour in MatterTags.

2. Are you on Matterport Classic Pricing or Matterport new Pricing?

3. Unlike a house where you charge X and include X months of hosting, I would charge a smaller upfront amount and charge monthly for hosting, maintenance and support (where the pay back occurs in around month 18. Charge an additional amount - same pricing model - to publish to Google Street View.

4. It's likely that the camera will end up in the glass reflection: you too if you are not careful getting out of the reflection.

5. If you do decide to scan the four flights of stairs, you may want to watch video 17 - WGAN-TV Scanning Mirrors and Stairs - in the WGAN-TV Training Academy.

Please share the finished model, once done.

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Hi Dan,

Thank you for your response to this situation. Under your advice, I've informed the client that I will be delivering two separate models. I'm not sure if they need to have them connected or not but if they do the 'Deep Link' at the elevators sounds like the most feasible option.

With this being a large open space I'm very concerned with alignment issues. I would add props or 'April Tags'. However, the client wants to maintain openness as they will be using a 3rd party application to add virtual furniture on an as-needed basis. My plan is to use an over-scan technic of scanning every 2 - 4 ft instead of 5 - 8 ft.

As for the hosting situation, this client has its own Matterport account and wants me to transfer the product to them. So they'll most likely publish to G-Street View or Maps.

I'm with the new Pricing format. I think I can maintain up to 25 Spaces for one monthly price.

I'm looking forward to this challenge and will share the model once complete. Thank you so much for your help.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@3dFlex

Thanks for your kind note.

Based on the link you provided of the space, no April Tags necessary. This will be an easy, full-day scanning experience. That's great that you can shoot two floors as separate models. This way you are not spending 1-2 hours scanning stairs (which can be hard to do) and cause other challenges.

You should be able to scan every 5-8 feet in the space pictured. If you run into problems, then start to reduce the distance between scans. Watch your iPad like a hawk that the scans are being placed where you expect them to go. If they end up in the wrong place, delete that scan immediately and move closer to the last successful scan.

In a recent post tagged - large - you will see a drawing of how to scan a large open space.

Since you are transferring the model - the ownership - of the space to your Client, you'll want to charge X one-time payment (no recurring revenue). That also reducing your chance of offering Google Street View. That said, if you start a new WGAN topic on "Google Street View Value-Added Services" ... there are value-added services that you could offer your client.

Since you are on Matterport New Pricing, there is no charge for processing. And, since you are transferring the two models to your client, the models will not count towards your 25 spaces ...

Best,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thank you for your help, Dan. I'm feeling more confident about this shoot now.

So while scanning, as long as I don't get any bad alignment notices then am I to assume that the scan is congruent and would not have issues because of its size when published? Basically, would I know before leaving the shoot if my product is good?

Thanks for the tip about watching my iPad. I have noticed the scans sometimes are a little off the mark.

Since I will be transferring the finished product to my client I think I should copy it if possible for my portfolio. Once transferred I don't think I have access to it anymore, correct?

Best..
Jerry
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dFlex
So while scanning, as long as I don't get any bad alignment notices then am I to assume that the scan is congruent and would not have issues because of its size when published? Basically, would I know before leaving the shoot if my product is good?

Yes. This should be an easy-peasy shoot, based on the link you shared.

If the scan is a little off the mark on your iPad, I would not worry about it. You will know when it is a problem. The scan shows up someplace completely unexpected. With the space you shared, I would be surprised if you had this challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dFlex
Since I will be transferring the finished product to my client I think I should copy it if possible for my portfolio. Once transferred I don't think I have access to it anymore, correct?

Yes. Keep a duplicate of the space and archive it (will not be able to use on your website) so that it does not "count" towards your 25. Ask your Client for permission to share the space on your website. Based on the kind of space it is, your client would likely be happy for it to be shared everywhere. (Social media option needs to be set to on.)

I am not a lawyer. I don't give legal advice. If it was me, I would want to share the Client's version of the space.

Looking forward to hearing about the process and seeing the result.

By the way there are are least two ways to share the two floors on one Single Property Website:

WP3D Models WordPress Plugin - Single Property Website
CAPTUR3D - One Page Website

Best,

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@3dFlex

Here's how to add value for you to publish to Google Street View for the Matterport 3D Tour described above:

Panoskin Custom Builder: Google Street View Tour on Steroids

Best,

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@3dFlex

Just in case, please see this WGAN Forum discussion:

Video>Matterport: Scanning Repetitive Spaces

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
101421 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?