Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseAdviceBLK360Museums

BLK360 Help Scanning Advice Complete Resort Hotel9873

Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
Dear forum.

We are scanning a large pool area similar to this model with the BLK360 on Wednesday.

I would like to just get some advice and feedback from the members on here that own one or used it for similar jobs. As we are purchasing a used BLK360. And we cant test it before we shoot have one day window with the client. As its season and shutting down everything is tricky but arranged.

Questions / Advice

1. Settings for BLK, no need for point cloud only need to use as Matterport model with the best imaging.

2. Will be scanning at sunrise zero cloud cover.

3. What is the distance between scans, and what is ideal to fill in the mesh/ floorplan

4. How many scans and how long would it take to do a model like this? As its a working resort.

5. What iPad are you sung with the BLK360, as we don't want the App crashing like on previous jobs doing over 250+ scans and it just bombs out?

6. What would you charge for space between 50,000 - 1sqft? sqft ? Just as Matterport not as Revit export.

7. What other solution will you use if not the BLK360, as the matterport won't be able to handle big outdoor spaces? We tried many a time and just does not work. The new cortex also doe snot work, as it is not reliable. As seen with some members models on here. For indoor yes it works. The solution also needs to take rich media embeds.

Thank you in advance.
Post 1 IP   flag post
3DVirtuallyThere private msg quote post Address this user
You could try shooting at night with alot of lighting
Post 2 IP   flag post
@3DVirtuallyThere yeah I have been thinking of that. The problem is it turns into an outdoor nightclub and has three restaurants on the pool areas. So to get them to shut down all is a problem. Mornings is better as we can just move people to one of the other 5 pools on the property. Give them some complimentary gifts for the inconvenience.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Cupix 3D Tour courtesy of Cupix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard
7. What other solution will you use if not the BLK360, as the matterport won't be able to handle big outdoor spaces? We tried many a time and just does not work. The new cortex also doe snot work, as it is not reliable. As seen with some members models on here. For indoor yes it works. The solution also needs to take rich media embeds.

What are the use cases by your client? How important is the dollhouse view?

Why not capture with Cupix SLAM app paired with an Insta360 One X and publish to Cupix 3D Tour platform? With Cupix, you can shoot outdoors without issue and it is likely that you could do the shoot within a few hours.

WGAN-TV: Cupix SLAM App
Videos: How to use the Cupix SLAM App

Dan

Video: WGAN-TV Cupix SLAM App Short Story #331-Demo Part 1 of 6
Video: WGAN-TV Cupix SLAM App Short Story #332-Demo Continuation Part 2 of 6
Video: WGAN-TV Cupix SLAM App Short Story #333-Video Presentation and Demo Part 3 of 6
WGAN-TV Cupix SLAM App Short Story #334-Video Presentation and Demo Part 4 of 6
Video: WGAN-TV Cupix SLAM App Short Story #335-Video Presentation and Demo Part 5 of 6
Post 4 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod thank you for taking the time to make this post. I will have a look at it. Can be interesting.

But I need advice now for the BLK360 as I have to do the scanning tomorrow for this client as we have a very short window to wow them.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Gerhard

Perhaps some of your questions might have been answered here?

WGAN-TV Leica Geosystems BLK360 Mashup with Matterport: 1st Look with Chris Hickman

Here are WGAN Forum discussions tagged: BLK360

Dan

P.S. Hopefully, some Matterport + BLK360 Members will post about your questions ...
Post 6 IP   flag post
BLK360
Dealer
Philadelphia
MikeChawaga private msg quote post Address this user
1. Settings for BLK, no need for point cloud only need to use as Matterport model with the best imaging.

- HDR3, Low density

2. Will be scanning at sunrise zero cloud cover.

- The BLK does not have problems with sun just check quality in MP Capture

3. What is the distance between scans, and what is ideal to fill in the mesh/ floorplan

- HDR 3, Low Density

4. How many scans and how long would it take to do a model like this? As its a working resort.

- Looking at a full days work. BLK is slow on MP capture. The only reason to BLK is to get more accurate dimension and ability to shoot outdoor. Not sure what you are going for here. Floor Plan?
- Ask hotel when low-activity

5. What iPad are you sung with the BLK360, as we don't want the App crashing like on previous jobs doing over 250+ scans and it just bombs out?

- iPad Pro with lots of RAM

6. What would you charge for space between 50,000 - 1sqft? sqft ? Just as Matterport not as Revit export.

- $6,000

- Insta 360 or new Ricoh 7K
Post 7 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
Here is a BLK experiment I did last week that may offer some insights for your pool scan. I was looking for an outdoor space to capture during a wide light variation. I ended up at Seattle's Fishermen's Terminal near sunset.
- I have the latest BLK firmware 1.2.2 and Capture 3.0.5. Settings: HDR3 Medium (the default)
- This model has 21 scans and they took a long time (for simplicity think ~5 mins per scan). You'll need a new battery every ~20 scans
- It's quite impressive how far apart the BLK can register scans. I had no problems scanning 20m (65ft) apart. When I tried to push it further, it started getting lost
- In 30% of my scans, I experienced random No Camera Connected errors appearing right after the data transfer to the iPad. The two devices were close and the only workaround was to restart the Capture app. This would be a nice bug to fix
- The overall quality of the images seems improved
- On another experiment during a hot day and under direct sunlight, the BLK started failing because of overheat. A limitation to keep in mind if you are going to scan the pool during the day

Post 8 IP   flag post
3DVirtuallyThere private msg quote post Address this user
That's impressive, every reason to use the best equipment!!!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Tosolini @MikeChawaga thanks guys for the input.

Was a rocky start. Only managed 18 scans in 3 hours. Staff walking in the frame space not setup etc. Will have to do it over 3-4 days. As it is around 150,000 sqft.

Settings HDR 2 MED Mesh

Scans took between 3 - 5 min each.

Transferring to the iPad took another 2 - 3 min. I contacted the Leica agent and he said you can just scan and as soon as it's done go to the next point and scan as its already on the iPad.But this was not true and had to wait sometimes up to 5 min for that to happen. I had two Ipads one Pro 3 years old and another last years model, 4GB RAM. I don't know if its a RAM issue? But I think he was thinking of the Leica capture app. Said why not use that and I had to explain that it's about the user experience and not the scan data. If Leica can make their own player will be great.

Was impressed with the distance and how it filled the area around it.

Biggest two pains are: Time to capture and you cant edit the Panos and reupload them. In the Leica capture app, I was shown how you can do it when I attended a Leica workshop. So it is mindblowing that there are two companies already offering this, but not Matterport. Thye could never give us a straight answer regarding this. Like I recall seeing a Beta proof of concept of removing the camera out of a mirror and done by a genius in this forum. But was told by Matterport to stop with his third party app. How wonderful is that? Got to love the innovation here.

Imagine your workflow there are some people in the model. You go home open your editing software, do awareness fill get rid of the people and reupload the to the tour. Oh wait another space scanned that can be added to the 100,000,000 or is there something else comming ?

Transitions are okay, a lot of ghosting feels like the old Matterport transitions. This can be improved also.

Fill with a floor plan view, yes doing way fewer scans and its outdoors - 10/10, time to capture - 1/10

The HDR is in another league, way different than traditional HDR. Sun does not look to blown out and looks like an orange dot. Images are crisp and clear. Had one scan that was how to put it looked milky on the bottom half. Sorry, I can't share as I signed an NDNA with the client. I will share this with Leica so they can improve on this, or do troubleshooting to see what has caused this.

Going from the main entrance through reception and out again took 4 scans, got give alignment errors and the line of sight was straight. So just redid them. But was able to do some sections between 10meters - 20meters and that wowed me. Just imagine this system can go faster.

Also had to restart a couple of times either the iPad or the BLK. Or it just loses connection while standing right behind the camera. So this cost us another 20 min delay +

Overall it is impressive what this kit can do and the applications, not just in Matterport. And is opening a lot more markets and creativity we did not think about in the past. And this camera is an investment because they won't be upgrading it very soon, by soon only in a couple of years I was told. They have not unlocked its full potential yet and there are more interesting features on the horizon, some inside info....

Have another 3 days ahead of us, but will incorporate Matterport camera also in the mix just to save time as there are three medium-sized restaurants also connected to this pool club area. Unfortunately, I won't be able to share the model as mentioned but will have another 28 projects like this we got contacted for. Yes, it worth the time because you can charge so much more and anyone doing this and trying to do it for next to nothing aka undercutting service providers, good luck as you will just hang yourself in the end. As with this, time = money. Or just stick to scanning one-bedroom apartments.

Will keep you guys posted if any other interesting things happen on this shoot. Been a hot long day.

I just hope the ipads can handle this job as I don't want to run into the nightmare of getting to 250+ scans again and the iPad just goes dark. Not going to be very happy. But otherwise this small device will blow your mind and we are happy to incorporate it in our services and workflow.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like a good learning experience overall, although frustrating because of the tech limitations. The original BLK app is one of the worst UI I've experienced and I try to avoid it. The benefit of going HDR3 is that you could use the Point Cloud in other apps if necessary, but it doesn't seem to be a requirement. All the best and congrats on the multi location contract.
Post 11 IP   flag post
101437 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?