Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
WGANTV Live at 5ZillowZillow 3D Home

Shoot Matterport 3D Tour: Publish Many Places (Including Zillow 3D Home?)9779

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: WGAN-TV How Matterport Will Scale Exponentially with Matterport CMO Chris Bell | Short Story #741 - Zillow 3D Home (Part 1 of 2)

Video: WGAN-TV How Matterport Will Scale Exponentially with Matterport CMO Chris Bell | Short Story #742 - Zillow 3D Home (Part 1 of 2)

Hi All,

As a Matterport Service Provider, I could imagine that you would like to shoot a Matterport 3D Tour once and be able to publish many places. The Matterport integrations with Google Street View, VRBO/HomeAway and Realtor.com/Homes.com are examples of shooting once/publish to multiple places.

On WGAN-TV Live at 5 Thursday (11 July 2019), I asked Matterport Chief Marketing Officer Matt Bell about if/when we will see a Matterport integration with Zillow 3D Home.

Please see the two WGAN-TV Short Story videos (#741, #742) above.

Your thoughts?

----

Here's a transcription of this portion of the show:

Dan Smigrod: 00:38:13 Well, as a photographer that would to shoot once and publish many places, the VRBO, HomeAway accomplishes that, the Google Street View integration accomplishes that, the Realtor.com accomplishes that. Among the next logical places, it would seem like Zillow would be just an...

Chris Bell: 00:38:38 Zillow. Yeah, Zillow is not a partner. Zillow has been pretty public about... They're not a partner at this time, who knows how this all shakes out. They've been pretty public about their intent and interest in providing this type of a service directly through their website, their app and their tech. We would certainly welcome the opportunity to work with them in any form or fashion. Right now they have a solution that works, I believe with both cell phones and 360 cameras if I'm not mistaken that produces a limited 360. It feels like you're nailed to the floor and you can look around a little bit, maybe not up and down. I don't mean to denigrate it but it's certainly not as rich an experience as one can have, but we would absolutely welcome the chance to integrate with them as well.

Dan Smigrod: 00:39:33 What do you think is holding that relationship back? It just seems like a natural for both organizations?

Chris Bell: 00:39:41 We certainly think it's natural for people to want to do it on the Matterport side. We have no qualms about that at all. I'm not sure what Zillow's management is thinking, you'd have to ask them that. They have been-

Dan Smigrod: 00:39:54 We've had them on the show. We tend to think that it just seems like... Again, I may be reading into the tea leaves here but I suspect Matterport wants a logo on that integration and that's holding it back. I'm I just completely off base?

Chris Bell: 00:40:12 Yup.

Dan Smigrod: 00:40:13 Okay.

Chris Bell: 00:40:15 Yeah. That's not our ultimate endgame is to put the Matterport logo on everything. We like to promote our brand, we like to have our logo out there. I really think you have to ask Zillow what their strategy is. Zillow is a fantastic company with an amazing footprint. We'd be foolish not to entertain the opportunity to publish there. That's what I'll say about it and I hope at some point Matterport immersive 3D and immersive 3D as a medium is everywhere. That's what we all want.

Dan Smigrod: 00:40:55 I guess we would all hope that 3D would be minimum table stakes anywhere. That said, the integration with VRBO, with Google Street View, these are 360 integrations.

Chris Bell: 00:41:10 Right.

Dan Smigrod: 00:41:14 Take what you can get and then hope that eventually it turns into 3D?

Chris Bell: 00:41:19 Well, it goes to the point you made just before this comment, which was you want to have the ability to shoot once and publish many places and we want you to have that as well. Some of this is dependent on the partner's willingness. Like if you look at Vacasa, they don't seem to have any issue with taking a full Matterport model and making it publicly available. Our philosophy around this is to try to serve our customers, our Matterport customers, eco-system customers in a way that's at least more convenient for them as a stepping stone to get to where we all want to be, which is fully immersive 3D.

---

Best,

Dan

P.S. Watch the entire show here:

Transcript: WGAN-TV How Matterport will Scale Exponentially with Matterport CMO Chris Bell
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: WGAN-TV How to Make Money with Zillow 3D Home with Zillow Sr. Director, Product Development, 3D & Computer Vision Josh Weisberg and Zillow Senior Development Manager, Mitch Dawson (Thursday, 9 May 2019) Short Story #541

Video: WGAN-TV How to Make Money with Zillow 3D Home with Zillow Sr. Director, Product Development, 3D & Computer Vision Josh Weisberg and Zillow Senior Development Manager, Mitch Dawson (Thursday, 9 May 2019) Short Story #542

Video: WGAN-TV How to Make Money with Zillow 3D Home with Zillow Sr. Director, Product Development, 3D & Computer Vision Josh Weisberg and Zillow Senior Development Manager, Mitch Dawson (Thursday, 9 May 2019) Short Story #543

Video: WGAN-TV How to Make Money with Zillow 3D Home with Zillow Sr. Director, Product Development, 3D & Computer Vision Josh Weisberg and Zillow Senior Development Manager, Mitch Dawson (Thursday, 9 May 2019) Short Story #544

Hi All,

In the WGAN-TV Short Story above, I mentioned that executives from Zillow were my guests on WGAN-TV Live at 5 too.

In the WGAN-TV Short Shorties (#541, #542, #542, #544) videos above, I asked Zillow Sr. Director, Product Development, 3D & Computer Vision Josh Weisberg executives about a potential Matterport 3D Tour to Zillow 3D Home integration. (See the video above or the transcript below.)

--

Dan Smigrod: Let me re-ask the question. Do you think we'll ever see a day where you could shoot with Matterport and publish a 3D tour to Zillow.com?

Josh Weisberg: We're definitely open to this. We, in fact, have actually talked to some manufacturers of this technology about this idea. We see a lot of value in it. Technically, there's a lot of complexity in doing it, and so in discussions with some of these companies, we've talked through what the approach could be. There's obviously legalities involved where Zillow would want to make sure that they have the rights to give us the content and so on. I would say yeah, it's feasible that we would do it. We've explored it.

Dan Smigrod: I guess I would imagine if Zillow's vision is to have every listing have a Zillow 3D tour, that part of getting there is through partnering with other cameras, platforms, in order to have exponential growth take place. I'm not expecting that we're gonna hear an announcement today, but I'm just trying to at least maybe take your pulse a little bit to say, whether we're talking about Matterport or GeoCV or Cupix or Nodalview or any other platform that is capturing, in a just a general, that's something you'll all at some point will be pursing? I'm speaking from a photographer standpoint. We want to shoot once--

Josh Weisberg: Get as much exposure--

Dan Smigrod: If I show up with Matterport and then I want to Zillow, I'm doing the same space twice, right?

Josh Weisberg: Right, I get that, yeah. Now's probably a good time to mention that I have spent a good bit of my life as a photographer, including six years as a professional photographer. I did sports, not real estate, but I understand the concept that you're talking about.

When I was shooting sports, it was all about getting an image onto the news wire first, because whoever got it there first, that's who Sports Illustrated or ESPN would pick it up from. I understand where you're coming from. I can't tell you definitively that we're going to do that or not. I will tell you that we have thought a lot about it.

We have talked to a number of these companies about what it would take to do that, and there are challenges involved. I'll give you one example to give you a sense of why this isn't simple. I'm assuming most of your listeners are familiar with Photoshop and Camera RAW formats, right? Adobe has a team of 20 engineers who simply work on making sure Photoshop and Lightroom were compatible with all the different Raw formats, right?

If you take the companies that you just listed, they all have different ways of capturing and storing the data and associating all of the measurements and other data, metadata, that goes along with those files. Zillow doesn't want to turn into Adobe, right, so the idea that we're going to have to parse all these different formats and figure out how to represent that data consistently is one challenge, right?

Either we have to crack that, or we have to ask the partners to do that work. We also have to think about the impact that, what would the experience be. We have over 140 million unique visitors that come to Zillow on a regular basis. We need them to continue to enjoy that experience and be able to find the content they're looking for, and the idea of having 10 or 20 types of different tours all with different user interaction models is something that we're concerned about, right?

Dan Smigrod: I'm actually thinking a little bit different is that they would conform to your style or how it's presented, as opposed to it's completely different, assuming that all the cameras and platforms were willing to publish in your style. Just to take an example, Matterport published the Google Street View. Okay, it looks like Google Street View. It doesn't say Matterport on it, doesn't have Matterport's logo on it. It literally conforms to Google Street View. Assuming that the platforms, just generally speaking, were willing to conform to the Zillow 3D Home look, style, feel, format, would that be the low hurdle to jump over?

Josh Weisberg: Potentially, yes. We did discuss these concepts with some of these partners, and we did get feedback that they would want some form of brand attribution as a way to drive more business to their platforms, which we respect, right?

Dan Smigrod: Yes.

Josh Weisberg: Certainly would add value to them. As I said, we've had conversations. We've discussed some of the technical challenges, and I think we just have to put it in context with the other priorities that we're working on and determine when the right time to do it is, right, but we have had these conversations, and we definitely are open to continuing to have them with any service provider, right?

Our goal isn't to own the capture process, right? Our fundamental goal is to provide the best experience for a buyer or renter, right, like to really help them find their home quickly and a good experience. If working with other platforms, other camera manufacturers, if that helps us do that, then yeah, of course we're open to that, right?

Again, I said this a few minutes ago, but a big part of why we've built 3D Home and why we've made it free is because we want to create more demand for this experience and the technology that powers it, right, and we hope, and I think it's great that other companies have started supporting the 360 cameras, like the Thetas, because that gives more optionality, right?

If I'm a photographer, I could offer either Matterport or 3D Home with the same Ricoh Theta, right? I think that's a win for the photographer to have that choice, right, and so what we're really trying to do is make this accessible to more agents, to more sellers, to more property managers, and it historically has been because of the cost.

---

To see the entire interview with the Zillow executives please see:

Transcript: WGAN-TV How to Make Money with Zillow 3D Home
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: WGAN-TV Short Story #743 - 360º Virtual Tours from Matterport as a Stepping Stone to Fully Immersive 3D Tours

Hi All,

In a perfect world, when Matterport does integrations with 3rd parties such as HomeAway/VRBO, the tour would be 3D: not 360º. Matterport CMO Chris Bell says in this WGAN-TV Short Story (#743), the 360º tour integration is (hopefully) a stepping stone to 3D tour integration.

I would imagine that for Matterport and Zillow to strike an integration deal, the Matterport 3D Tour would be a Zillow 3D Home tour (360º tour). From Zillow's perspective, they want Zillow 3D Home to look the same: regardless of how the capture was accomplished.

Your thoughts?

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Wish there was some news to report on this topic of if/when we will be able to shoot with Matterport and publish to Zillow 3D Home.

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
101429 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?