Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 473 Unique Visitors
9,022 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 40,828 Page Views | 20,383 Unique Visitors | 44 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Question of the DaySafety

Question of the Day: Any concerns for your safety on a Matterport shoot?9738

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Tuesday, 9 July 2019:

Any concerns for your safety on a Matterport 3D Tour shoot?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
htimsabbub23 private msg quote post Address this user
I feel no matter the situation, you are in someone else's home. I always carry some.sort of protection with me. I have pepper spray on me in what I would consider safe areas and the rougher neighborhoods I CC. This is especially true when shooting a renters place where the owner of the building let you in. As the saying goes, better to have and not need, than to need and not have.
Post 2 IP   flag post
bryanhscott private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

I have more concerns in the real estate brokerage business than in the real estate media biz. I have had several, fake buyer situations occur over the past few years, where single buyer men attempted to lure me to a vacant property for reasons still unknown. Were all of these particular events of the shady type? Only my experience, 6th sense and God knows for sure, but when they refuse or decline to answer key, qualifying & reasonable questions and they refuse to send me a copy of their driver's license, the antennae go up and stay there.

MSPs should validate who their customer is before they make the trip to a shoot location, because you never know who you are dealing with till you are in front of them and the appointment is successful with no issues.

In advance, one should have a list of qualifying, reasonable business questions to get out of the way, before scheduling the work, or should request more info, or inform of the need for more info from within your own Pre-Shoot Checklist. Absent this or in addition to this, searches using publicly available info; social media, county assessor data, secretary of state business info, BBB, company website, etc., should assist in validating the new customer's credibility. When in doubt, stop and request more information, including a scan/text/email of a DL, picture of the person you are meeting, picture of their business card, picture of the vehicle showing license plate #, etc. I know this seems a bit heavy-handed, but simply inform your new customer that this is purely for safety purposes. If you inform your new customer that this procedure is SOP for all and request the info in a diplomatic way, anyone who is on the up and up will have no issues with this. If they do, well, I would move on to my next customer.

Additionally, when at the jobsite, moving through the property interior, best to keep the exterior doors locked. Likewise with your vehicle, when not in it, or moving back and forth from it, best to keep it locked as well.
Post 3 IP   flag post
MGG private msg quote post Address this user
My biggest fear is the ladder when doing above the ceiling tile scans..... I worked in the insurance industry managing a workers' comp claims program; ladders cost us a ton of money in claims.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@htimsabbub23
@bryanhscott
@MGG

Wow! Thanks for sharing.

#careful

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

PFRE (19 July 2019) Shooting Vacant Properties

"... the front door gets busted open and I find myself standing there, camera in hand with 5 guns pointed at my head."

Source: PFRE

Atlanta Journal-Constitution (22 March 2018) Atlanta real estate photographer sues after homeowner shoots him

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm........

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Inman (19 July 2019) Cincinnati apologizes, agrees to pay $151K to Realtor handcuffed while showing home to client [free Month of Inman Connect]

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Inman (24 July 2019) Woman sues agent after plunging through floor during property tour [free Month of Inman Connect]

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Related WGAN Forum discussion:

People in house while making a tour

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Inman (5 August 2019) Agent shoots at man who tried to rob her with knife at open house

Dan

Save $20 on Inman Subscription
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Inman (8 October 2019) Are you safe? 4 showing safety tips for agents

Dan

Save $20 on Inman Subscription
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Inman (13 January 2020) Man who attacked agent with knife sentenced to 16 years in prison
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
PFRE (5 November 2018) Onsite Dangers for Real Estate Photographers
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Inman (24 February 2020) Scammer poses as detective, targets female real estate agents
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
PetaPixel (8 June 2020) Georgia Court Revives Lawsuit by Real Estate Photographer Who Was Shot by Homeowner
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Inman (22 June 2020) Agents launch fundraiser for KW Realtor attacked at open house

"Agents around the country are rallying to raise money for a Keller Williams Realtor who was brutally attacked at an open house this Saturday [20 June 2020]," reports Inman.
Post 16 IP   flag post
homefinders3d private msg quote post Address this user
It is an issue. There are examples of some horrendous attacks on real estate agents both male and female. Don't be naive and think it can't happen to you because you are a man. One abbreviation: CCW.
Post 17 IP   flag post
bryanhscott private msg quote post Address this user
According to NAR, only about 6% of properties are sold as a result of an open house. Agents hold them because their client believes it helps and to mine buyer leads who are not already represented by a buyer’s agent. On-site opens are not worth the risk to the agent or their client’s property. For this CCW agent, it’s a virtual open or none at all.
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Inman (24 June 2020) Stop letting strangers into your listings! A call to end open houses

"The attack on Keller Williams agent Lenora Farrington is yet another poignant reminder of why we as an industry need to stop holding open houses immediately," reports Inman.

"Despite the publicity, the awareness classes, self-defense training, firearm purchases and concealed carry permits, agents continue to be beaten and killed when showing homes, collecting rent, serving eviction notices and holding opens," reports Inman.

---

Inman (23 June 2020) Agent attached at open house faces long recovery

Free 90 day trial of Inman with this WGAN Affiliate Code
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Inman (3 July 2020) The Real Word: Should we end open houses?

---

Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Inman (28 August 2020) 2 men charged with attempting to abduct agent before home showing

---

Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Inman (10 September 2020) Agent comes across man with rifle in bedroom while showing home
---

Post 22 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Inman (22 December 2020) Crime, corruption and real estate agent safety in 2020

---

Post 23 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Inman (30 December 2020) Beloved Nebraska agent found dead after showing, homicide suspected

---

Post 24 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Inman (8 February 2021) Real estate photographers robbed in broad daylight in San Francisco - The couple was driving from a photo shoot when someone smashed the window of their car and stole $7,000 worth of camera equipment. The driver of a Tesla caught it on video

Video of Robbery (in Tweet)

Have you had camera gear stolen/robbed?

---

Post 25 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Inman (19 April 2021) How to safely handle an open house

---

Post 26 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Inman (12 October 2021) He didn't like the home he bought sight unseen. So he shot the Realtor
Post 27 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: 12 Urgent Realtor Safety Tips To Stay Safe With Clients | Video courtesy of Kyle Handy YouTube Channel | 16 June 2022
Post 28 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Robbed in San Francisco! feat. Jefferson Graham | Video courtesy of This Week in PHOTO YouTube Channel | 9 December 2022
Post 29 IP   flag post
101268 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?