Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AECBLK360Ceiling TilesCommercial Real EstateConstructionCUPIXScanning

Above the Ceiling Tiles: Scanning for AEC9648

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

I received this question today (Thursday, 20 June 2019). Below is how I replied.

Best,

Dan

----

Hi Dan,

I am new to your site and quite impressed with what a tremendous resource it is to people in the 3D/360 market.

I have been searching for posts/threads about best practices for scanning above ceiling tiles for people in the AEC business.

So far I haven't been very successful in my search. Right now I am using a Pro2 on an extended tripod and getting a little too much wobble in my scans.

Do you have any recommendations on the best way to scan this space? A more stable tripod would certainly help, but I am also not opposed to a different camera or even switching to another platform like Cupix.

I want to keep the ability to take measurements, which has kept me from just slapping an insta360 on a pole and calling it a day.

Thanks,

[redacted]

--

Hi [redacted],

Thank you for joining WGAN recently and for reaching out.

The Short Answer:

Either add a Leica BLK360 to your Matterport scanning workflow or switch to Cupix.

The Longer Answer:

1. What's you use case?
2. How will you use the measurements?
3. How much money do you have to solve the problem?

If the accuracy of the measurements are critical - and you can justify the expense - you could add a Leica BLK360 to your Matterport scanning workflow.

If the accuracy of the measurements are not critical – within 99 or 98 percent accurate – I encourage you to look at Cupix using a Ricoh Theta Z1 for data capture. (In this instance, I recommend the Ricoh Theta Z1 because you can use it both with Cupix and Matterport and likely soon with the Cupix SLAM iOS App which is critical if you are going to capture large commercial spaces).

If the measurements are sufficient in Matterport today, it is super-likely that you will be equally happy with Cupix.

Here are two "must read" WGAN Forum posts about Cupix in the AEC space:

Cupix for AEC: Compare BIM to Construction Progress Saves Clients Money
WGAN-TV: Cupix SLAM App
Cupix: Compare the 3D Tour of Weekly Construction Progress to the BIM Model

Do you have follow-up questions?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
MGG private msg quote post Address this user
Does the Ricoh Theta Z1 capture distances on its own, or are you required to use one of those scaling tiles or other measuring tools to get a baseline?

Thanks,

Mike
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@MGG

Matterport and Cupix each create 3D Tours, BUT, each uses a different approach to get there.

Matterport uses ... Structured Light with the Matterport Pro2 3D Camera, LiDAR with the Leica BLK360 and Machine Learning with the Ricoh Theta Z1.

Cupix uses ...Photogrammetry. This translates to an accuracy of 98 percent with Cupix (targets are not necessary for this use case: ceiling tiles)

Both Matterport and Cupix offer Point Clouds that can be easily loaded into Autodesk and other popular AEC software packages.

If you need you need accuracy within .01 percent – and you can justify the expense – Matterport + Leica Geosystems may be your best option. If you have a need to do 20,000 to 100,000 or more SQ FT at the time - and 98 percent accuracy is acceptable, it's likely that Cupix + Ricoh Theta Z1 would be your best solution.

Best,

Dan

P.S. When you buy a Leica BLK360 Imaging Laser Scanner from Robotic Imaging Group (@MikeChawaga) using this link between 1 January 2019 and 31 December 2019, you will receive 12 Months Free WGAN Standard Membership to help you Succeed Faster Buy Now
Post 3 IP   flag post
MGG private msg quote post Address this user
Do you thing the iGuide platform has any value in this environment?
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@MGG

If you need a point cloud, I do not believe that iGuide offers a data pack.

iGuide is laser-sharp focused of servicing busy, prolific real estate photographers that service residential real estate agents: thus, likely no data pack.

(@Sara_iGuide Please correct me, if I am wrong.)

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
101429 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?