Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BLK360Leica BLK2GO

Leica introduces BLK2GO; wonder if it is Matterport Compatible?9589

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Screen Grab from Lecia BLK2GO eblast received today, Wednesday, 12 June 2019

Hi All,

I wonder if if the Leica BLK2GO is Matterport compatible and if it is a lower price?

Do you know?

I could imagine that it is compatible because it shares a similar name as the Leica BLK360.

(Above is a screen grab from an eblast that I received from Leica today, Wednesday, 12 June 2019.)

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
izoneguy private msg quote post Address this user
Looks more like it will obsolete Matterport capture for BIM. Look at the YouTube video - it is handheld and scans data as you walk.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Introducing the BLK2GO | Video courtesy of Leica BLK YouTube Channel

BLK2GO Workflow | Video courtesy of Leica BLK YouTube Channel

Here's today's official media release today (12 June 2019) from the parent company of Leica Systems, Hexagon.

----

Hexagon expands Leica BLK series, revolutionising reality capture for infrastructure, safety, and mobility applications

WED, JUN 12, 2019 21:00 CET

Hexagon AB, a global leader in sensor, software and autonomous solutions, today introduced two new additions to the Leica BLK series. The Leica BLK2GO is the smallest portable, completely integrated handheld-imaging scanner in the industry, and the Leica BLK247 is the first 3D laser-scanning sensor for security surveillance providing continuous, 24/7 situational awareness.

“Extending the BLK series continues Hexagon’s 20-year focus on revolutionising reality capture,” said Ola Rollén, Hexagon President and CEO. “These sensors are not only ground-breaking for their technical capabilities, but also for their practicality. The Leica BLK2GO can be taken anywhere, and the Leica BLK247 never sleeps.”

The Leica BLK2GO introduces never-before-seen mobility for scanning complex indoor environments. The handheld-imaging laser scanner combines visualisation, LiDAR, and edge-computing technologies to scan in 3D while in motion, allowing users to be much more agile and efficient in capturing objects and spaces. The BLK2GO has a wide range of applications from adaptive reuse projects in the architecture and design industries to location scouting, pre-visualisation, and VFX workflows for media and entertainment.

The Leica BLK247 is designed for continuous 3D reality capture, extending capabilities for safety and security applications. The sensor provides real-time situational awareness through edge computing and LiDAR-enabled change-detection technology. Using artificial intelligence, the BLK247 can tell the difference between still and moving objects — such as a person walking who leaves a suitcase behind — and identify security threats to provide real-time alerts for both expected and unexpected changes. The BLK247 greatly enhances situational awareness within restricted or high-security spaces, as it eliminates the need for people to constantly monitor walls of security screens or smart building dashboards.

The Leica BLK2GO and Leica BLK247 are among the many innovative solutions being showcased this week at HxGN LIVE 2019, Hexagon’s annual digital technology conference.

For further information, please contact:
Daniel Johansson, Investor Relations, Hexagon AB, +46 8 601 26 27, ir@hexagon.com
Kristin Christensen, Chief Marketing Officer, Hexagon AB, +1 404 554 0972, media@hexagon.com

Hexagon is a global leader in sensor, software and autonomous technologies. We are putting data to work to boost efficiency, productivity, and quality across industrial, manufacturing, infrastructure, safety, and mobility applications.

Our technologies are shaping urban and production ecosystems to become increasingly connected and autonomous – ensuring a scalable, sustainable future.

Hexagon (Nasdaq Stockholm: HEXA B) has approximately 20,000 employees in 50 countries and net sales of approximately 3.8bn EUR. Learn more at hexagon.com and follow us @HexagonAB.

Hexagon is a leading global provider of information technologies that drive productivity and quality across geospatial and industrial enterprise applications. Hexagon’s solutions integrate sensors, software, domain knowledge and customer workflows into intelligent information ecosystems that deliver actionable information. They are used in a broad range of vital industries. Hexagon (Nasdaq Stockholm: HEXA B) has more than 15,000 employees in 46 countries and net sales of approximately 2.6bn EUR. Learn more at www.hexagon.com.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@izoneguy

When Matterport started, they needed to invent a Camera/Scanner. Today, they probably would be best serviced if they could focus on the software/platform and exited the hardware business.

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@izoneguy

Ah! Just the data view - color point cloud - no photography.

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
This has already existed.

Paracosm.io

I predicted this was what they were up to. This could be used to make a Matterport type tour if a vendor were to allow registering of blk360 or Matterport data into the data captured from this. This will not ever work with Matterport Capture.

I do wonder if this will cannibalize blk360 sales or influence price drops on that as this looks like a better solution for most of the people who value the blk360 for bim
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Metroplex360

Yes. I have seen many handheld scanners at SPAR3D the past few years.

Actually, if Matterport allowed BLK2GO and other data scanners into the platform, that would interesting for MatterPak: even if there is no photography. It might help grow the AEC space for Matterport faster.

Your thoughts?

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
Reading, United Kingdom
mcuddy private msg quote post Address this user
Also predicted this on 1st June ‘ given the hands my bet is that it’s going to be hand held lidar like Geoslam or Paracosm PX 80. Minimum cost £50k’ It’s simply a market they weren’t competing in and needed to imo. Fairly predictable move
Post 8 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
Just by watching the video and reading the specs, the BLK2GO seems to me a different device than the BLK360. It's cool to see you can walk around a building and capture a nice point cloud, but as @metroplex360 said, I doubt that MP would prioritize support for it with the current platform. The BLK360 seems a device that is better aligned to MP mission (photos and 3D are fairly equally important) than the BLK2GO (3D first, and photos... who knows). Looking forward to learn more about the price. As @mcuddy says, it may well be in the $50K range.

Regarding the BLK347, it reminds me the new Microsoft Kinect sensor on steroids. It's able to capture 3D data and images, and if connected to an AI cloud, it can address lucrative markets like security. Another smart move by Leica to diversify their technology.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
The BlK347 type technology is already in use with law enforcement. NYPD uses something like that, I think they just use AI to identify objects that were not in a video stream before. This technology has been around for quite a while. I believe this would be rather expensive, compared to just using a video feed.

But I do not know the particulars.
Post 10 IP   flag post
101429 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?