Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
DataNewsSPAR3DVersus

SPAR3D "Who Owns the Data?" ("Is Photography analogous to laser scanning?")9587

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

Must read ...

SPAR3D (12 June 2109) Who Owns the Data?

"Data, and its value, has been at the forefront of media discussion for the past couple years. It has been often described as the new oil."

"Is Photography analogous to laser scanning?"

"So, what am I paying for when I hire a photographer? Essentially, the payee is granted an unlimited license for use of the photos. According to several law sources, the employer only becomes the owner of the photos if the contract photographer uses your equipment and is on paid company time when capturing the photos."

Does reality capture data differ? If I laser scan your facility, do I own the data or do you? It is your property, so why would I, the scanner operator, own the data?

"Take the example of Notre Dame, which was captured by Vanderbilt University Professor Andrew Tallon as part of a project roughly a decade ago. Is the data Notre Dame’s? Vanderbilt’s? Tallon’s estate’s?"

Your thoughts?

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
immersivespaces private msg quote post Address this user
This is one of the many reasons contracts matter in commercial work. Who owns the "image" is a contractual matter... at least here in the United States. (Some countries have more "casual" requirements.) The statement that "the employer only becomes the owner of the photos if the contract photographer uses your equipment and is on paid company time when capturing the photos" is not entirely accurate. Unless surrendered specifically in a contract, regardless of the equipment used, or who owns it, if you, the photographer, click the button, you own the image. If you contract as a "Work For Hire" or create the work as an employee of a company within the scope of your work, then yes, the image belongs to your employer. The details in the wording here are important.

Now, the reality capture data is a different matter yet to be addressed by Congress. I would imagine at some point the "ownership" of reality capture data will be addressed and put in favor of the photographer that captures the data. Regardless of the method of capture, we are still capturing an "image," and therein lies the legal question. It will come down to what we consider creative works. Is the positioning of a scanning camera "creative" in nature? Regardless, any material generated from the data would be creative by definition, since we would be determining the angle, distance, etc. to create the output materials. Then there is the whole question of derivative works. It will be interesting to see what comes of all of this, but I fear it may be a while.
Post 2 IP   flag post
101436 2 2
This topic is archived. Start new topic?