Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CUPIXMuseums

An MSP that wants to know if Matterport will work with 27,000 SQ FT9447

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

I received this email (below) from a long-time WGAN Member.

(My reply appears below too.)

Dan

---

Hi Dan,

I know I have seen this question asked before.

I received a Matterport lead for someone looking (potentially), to do two very large scans; one being roughly 27,000 SqFt.

1) Has Matterport changed their “200 scan support” limit?

2) What’s the real sq footage total you’ve seen in the forum for total SqFt? I remember seeing like 50,000?

3) Total model scans you’ve seen others post that have been successful?

I have a feeling that even if it works the cost might be too much but you never know.

Thanks Dan.

Hope you don’t mind me reaching out.

[redacted]

-----

Hi [redacted],

Always good to hear from you. Thank you for reaching out.

Matterport only guarantees success with up to 200 scans (unless it it an open space using targets).

Screen Grab courtesy of Matterport

Unless the spaces are large, empty spaces, time to look at Cupix.

See this similar WGAN Forum discussion.

Scanning and Quoting for large projects with Matterport and BLK 360?

Yes. There are Members of WGAN Forum that have scanned successfully large spaces with Matterport. See WGAN Forum discussions tagged: LARGE (I recall 45,000 SQ FT)

That said, until Matterport is willing to post that they officially support more than 200 scans, I would look for a different solution.

Keep in mind, even if you could be successful with scanning 27,000 SQ FT, the question is at what cost and will the client be willing to pay. I could imagine 27,000 SQ FT will easily be two days. It could easily be 3-4 days depending on the kind of space.

With Cupix, for example, you could scan the space before lunch and begin processing. Imagine how much less you could charge and still make big dollars.

Perhaps WGAN Forum Members have some additional thinking on this topic.

Again, without knowing the business use case (the problem that the tour solves), it's hard to address your specific project.

Keep

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
I have shot over 65000 sq ft and have uploaded a model with 519 scans.

It all depends on what you are trying to achieve and the level of detail your client is happy with. If the doll house is not important you can scan with black spots. One model I shot was an empty warehouse and it was extremely difficult even though I used the scan (march, may or whatever they call them) qr codes.

The other structure was a furniture store and at first I had 900 scans that Matterport was not happy to ingest. My iPad was yawning at that though. (With that been said, do not attempt with anything less than an iPad pro.

I culled the model down to 500 scans and it processed, and you can also view the doll house. But I have no idea what your model will look like and if it will have difficulties.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
April, April tags I knew it was a month.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
This tour is over 91000 sq ft and nearly 900 scans. However from experience I would not recommend exceeding 30000 sq ft due to load times and crashing on older devices

Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@leonherbert

Can you share your furniture store example?

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@3dshowcaseuk

91,000 SQFT. We have a winner!

Of course, as you mentioned, viewing can be a crashing problem.

Did the Client need the MatterPak?

Did you quote by the day or project?

Best,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
This tour is approx 79000 sq ft in total

but as you can see in the link below we separated the tour into 3 floors and linked them with deep links at the stair wells and elevators. The reason for this was slow loading times and it crashed smaller older devices

floors 2 & 3 are 28000-29000 sq ft each

clickable text
Post 7 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
Hi Dan

No we quoted for the whole project, as we were creating scans of several spaces.

We didn't go live with this master scan we simply scanned a space edited and uploaded, then duplicated and continued, therefore ending with several spaces hosted on their site and a master scan if that makes sense.

Here a few of the spaces

Post 8 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
@3dshowcaseuk So it uploaded with just under 900 scans? Looks pretty cool.
Post 9 IP   flag post
jfantin private msg quote post Address this user
Very nice work @3dshowcaseuk !
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN
Fan Club
Cairo, Egypt
AhmedAttia private msg quote post Address this user
The maximum I did so far was about 65,000 Sq.Ft and it was a challenging job but he customer was so happy at the end. Here is the model below.

Post 11 IP   flag post
mjstef private msg quote post Address this user
I scanned the courthouse in Marshalltown Iowa for a remediation contractor after the Tornado last year. 5 floors and 2/3's of each floor(damage was on the eastern part of the building. It was right at 32,000 Sq Ft. Got through it with one charge and 363 scans. Took about 8 hours......
Post 12 IP   flag post
101637 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?