Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Matterport 2019 New PricingPricingWGANTV Live at 5

Matterport Executives to Listen/Take Your Questions on WGAN-TV Live at 59322

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Hi All,

✓ Are you unhappy with Matterport new pricing?
✓ Got questions about how Matterport new pricing affects you?
✓ Got suggestions about what and how to fix the Matterport new pricing?
✓ Matterport new pricing giving you concerns about getting started with Matterport?

Then, vent and/or ask your questions directly with Matterport executives on a special edition of WGAN-TV Live at 5: Matterport New Pricing Town Hall

Matterport Chief Marketing Officer Chris Bell and Matterport Vice President of Product Management Damien Leostic will be my guests on this special edition of WGAN-TV Live at 5 (5 pm EDT | GMT -4) on Thursday, 16 May 2019.

Have you been living in a cave since the Matterport new pricing announcement on Thursday, 9 May 2019? Here are all the WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Matterport New Pricing Announcement

Two Easy Steps to Join the Show Live

1. Now: Download the Zoom Cloud Meetings app (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android)
2. When the show is live, Click Here (Automatically Launches the Zoom Meetings app)

How to Watch WGAN-TV Live at 5 (Three Options)

1. Use the link: WGAN-TV.com (Look in the bottom right for the popup for WGAN-TV Live at 5)
2. Watch on our YouTube Channel (Tip: To get a reminder: SUBSCRIBE and Click on the Bell
3. We'll record the show and add the episode to our WGAN-TV Podcast in the Apple iTunes Podcasts App

Special thanks to Chris Bell and Damien Leostic for joining the show to hear directly from the WGAN Forum Community about the Matterport new pricing.

Best,

Dan

Images courtesy of Matterport
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

If you would like a reminder when we go live, subscribe to the WGAN-TV YouTube Channel and click on the bell.

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
jellofan private msg quote post Address this user
Hopefully these guys will give actual answers to our questions...
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

This show is an opportunity to be heard by Members of the Matterport Executive Team – and ask questions – during this special WGAN-TV Live at 5 Town Hall: Matterport New Pricing with two C-Level Matterport executives.

Please plan to join the show.

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

If you have questions for Matterport – but can not attend WGAN-TV Live at 5 Town Hall: Matterport New Pricing on Thursday (16 May 2019) – please share your questions here for me to ask for you.

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

A WGAN Forum Member sent me these questions ...

If you can not participate in the Town Hall, please share your questions with us.

Dan

---
My only real concerns at this point are:

1. Justification for such a no notice drastic change and the thought process behind it - besides the obvious - free $ from a captive group.(But we are not - we can all drop Matterport like a hot potato!)

2. Exactly how long will we be grandfather into "classic" plans - can we get that in writing?

3. Why will they not allow monthly billing of top two tier plans?

4. When will they allow customers to host models off of Matterport? Security & privacy concerns mandate this be allowed for some customers. Matterport is loosing business by not allowing this and keeping the processing fee structure in place for this type of transaction.

5. GeoCV will get this type of client. GeoCV is going to be taking a bunch of MSP business from Matterport.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

A WGAN Forum Member sent me this message...

If you can not participate in the Town Hall, please share your questions with us.

Dan

——
I'm going to be out scanning on Thursday..... good luck with the show. I think once people (especially those with classic accounts) realize what they can do with two separate accounts, they will quit griping.

I honestly can't see who can be hurt by this, unless it's a newbie.

[name redacted]
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

A WGAN Member sent me this message....

Best,

Dan

--

Dan,

In case I am unable to attend the Town Hall, just a thought for repairing, or improving the business relationship between MP and MSPs. Well, actually more of a challenge, assuming MP sincerely values the MSP input the way they continue to claim...

What if we proposed a [Group of MSPs], who would represent all MSPs and who would work directly with a similar group within MP, in a much more organized and formal structure, to thoughtfully and completely represent MP Customer needs, guide the decision-making process by MP in terms of revisions and uplifts that matter to us, with the goal of making it easier to do business together, while also making us feel like our needs and opinions actually matter by translating our collective efforts into action by the company (MP), but also while carefully considering the profitability needs of MP?

Might this help resolve issues such as the most recent "surprise price change", as well as speed necessary revisions and product enhancements along, which might also translate into higher profitability for MP and its Customers?

It is a given that the MSPs are the pretty much the sole source of regression testing for the benefit of both sides, so it is not much of a stretch to request that we assume a more pro-active role. If this requested role is too much for MP to digest, perhaps we should pool our interests and resources and compel other vendors to produce products that we specify and work with us in a much more collaborative fashion.

[name redacted]
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

A WGAN Member sent me this message....

BTW, I wrote back, I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal Advice. That said, I could imagine that this would violate Matterport Terms of Service. Expect a cease and desist letter.

Best,

Dan

Hi Dan,

With all of the concern about Matterport hosting prices now have you looked into the idea of providing a way for msps to transfer their models to another platform and charge much more reasonable hosting fees?

I know I have the technical ability to build something like this which would not be quite as slick as MP tours but probably good enough. The question would be how MP would retaliate. If it would simply be to threaten to shut down the accounts of people using this, that might not matter because many people would choose to transfer all of their MP models and close their account anyway. However if MP were to make legal threats, which I really don't know if they would have grounds to, I think that would make it not worth the effort.

Anyway I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Cheers.

[Name redacted]
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

From the WGAN Forum discussion:

Transitioning Clients to Higher Hosting Costs

Can't participate in the show? What questions do you have? (Please DO join the discussion on-air Thursday.)

Best,

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@VTLV

Thank you for your insight. Awesome!

Wish you could join us on WGAN-TV Live at 5: Town Hall: Matterport New Pricing on Thursday, (16 May 2019).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTLV
What we don't get is the reasoning for the price hike and do not believe the company understands that most of their clientele are photographers.

Quote:
There's no pricing plan targeting our ability to deliver a product to our clients.
Quote:
How do they vision photographers and where do we typically fit in their there eyes when it comes to a pricing plan they think is ideal for a large chunk of their "Service Providers"?

If no one else asks a question about this, I plan to.

Best,

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

A WGAN Member sent me these questions.

Dan

----

1) Why does Matterport set such low caps on making spaces public? Wouldn't it be better to have as many models public as possible so that more people discover Matterport and decide that they want to buy a camera or hire an MSP to market their home/rental/business/etc., or capture a space for AEC/insurance or other purposes?

2) The user base of Matterport cameras has expanded across the globe. Matterport currently offers billing plans in USD, British Pounds and Euros. Will this be expanded to other countries such as Canada? Currently my costs vary from month to month due to currency exchange rates and it would be nice to have more predictability in my business expenses.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Here are the Matterport provided bios of my two guests on the show tonight (Thursday, 16 May 2019):

Chris Bell, Matterport's Chief Marketing Officer. Chris spent 12 years at Apple running Consumer & Product Marketing for iTunes, joined Matterport a year ago almost to the day, and has been a pioneer in media technology for over 25 years. Chris' latest passion project involved creating Matterport models of four student art exhibitions in Napa California so the artists themselves could have a record of their final projects.

Damien Leostic, Matterport’s VP of Product Development, brings 20 years of Product Management experience with a passion for delivering disruptive consumer solutions. Most recently, Damien worked in the Converged Consumer Solution at Google/Motorola Mobility and has a background in Home Networking and IoT solutions. Damien has a strong passion for photography, flying his drone and music. Damien found in Matterport the perfect tie between his love for technology and his passion for visual experiences.

Best,

Dan

P.S. I will ask Matterporter that join the show tonight to let us know:

Name
Company
___
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Screen Grab of WGAN-TV player in bottom right of WGAN Forum (www.WGANForum.com).

Hi All,

You can join the program live, by clicking on the Join the Program Live button when the show begins.

Out of the Office?

Even while scanning, you can join the show live using the Zoom app on your smartphone or tablet.

Download the Zoom app now using this link.

Then, when the show begins, click on this link. It will launch the Zoom app and place you in the virtual studio audience and then I will bring you on camera.

Clear as mud?

Best,

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

A WGAN Member writes ...

Dan

---

Hi Dan,

No I won't be participating. Instead, I'll be working at dismantling the business that I thought I could make reasonably profitable. I ignored your warnings about getting in bed with Matterport and now I realize that I should have listened. Some lessons can only be learned the hard way.

The recent pricing structure has convinced me that Matterport is either in financial trouble, greedy, or just plain stupid. Perhaps all three.

I love the technology and think it's the future of presenting a venue. It's too bad that the company that provides this is constantly undermining the people who are trying to make it successful. Maybe it's the anger speaking, or a bit too much caffeine, but I doubt the town hall meeting will change anything. It will allow MSPs to speak up and Matterport will pretend to listen, then, they will continue to do whatever they want. I hope I'm wrong and something positive will come out of this.

Thanks for providing a great platform for discussing, learning and sharing. I will miss it.

Sincerely,
[redacted]
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Join the Town Hall Live
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

This follow-up comment from the author above ..

Dan

---

Yup. I kid you not. It's all double talk. They are squeezing out competition from MSPs so that they can sell the scans themselves.

They will say absolutely anything to achieve this goal.

The biggest, nastiest thing that they have ever done is this new pricing.

In 12 months, grandfathered plans will be set to expire. People will be forced to either pay tons of money, or for Matterport to start selling their clients their own hosting accounts.

Matterport is not a good company.
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
WGAN-TV Town Hall - Matterport New Pricing (Thursday, 9 May 2019)

Hi All,

Thank you - all - for participating in the WGAN-TV Live at 5 Town Hall: Matterport New Pricing (above).

What are your take-aways from this show?

Best,

Dan
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Buffalo, New York
GETMYVR private msg quote post Address this user
I just applied for my Zillow Photographer credentials, so I am hopeful that diversity of my skills and not being reliant on just Matterport, will me more than enough to "make it" in this business. I think it's a big world, lots of opportunities that we have never considered will come to fruition and show up at our door steps. And that it's time to expand our horizons, accept change, and whatever it is that we do - to show value to the customer and ask for all the money! Prices rise all the time... let's be who we are, the pro's, and there's few other choices in the market and a ton of customers, so let's just OWN IT!
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

I received this email from a WGAN Member today (morning after the show aired).

What are your thoughts on the email below, after you watch the show?

Dan

---

Hi Dan,

Thank you for getting the MP guys on a conference. It's a major win getting the MP guys to the table to take the questions. As an MSP I have few takeaways and ideas.

1. It seems obvious to me that MP's goal is to eliminate the MSP's ability to create hosting revenue from our clients and push our clients into establishing accounts directly with MP. For Ali, and all of the MSPs who have similar commercial clients who require the scans to be available for the long term, our business has just been capped by whatever plan we were on at sunset. Once we reach the limits on our plans, we will simply prefer to force our clients to signup for the new MP plans for which there is no room, or way, for markup. We will only make money from scanning on those clients. Why would MP want to do this? Because they want to be the ones selling all the add ons: floorplans, hosting, and whatever new features and services they can to the clients we bring/brought to the table. They are simply taking away every profit center from the MSP they can. They have learned a lot from the MSP's creativity and ingenuity. Now they plan on bringing every 3rd party service we do into Matterport, watch. Not encouraging.

Idea: Give MSP lifetime residual commissions from sending our clients into their platform. It's a simple affiliate program that the tech world is very familiar with.

2. What does the introduction of the 360 cameras into the "ecosystem" mean for MSPs who have invested thousands into cameras? The net result will be a lower barrier of entry into the business and lower what we can charge from a cost per square foot. Recently MP sponsored a YouTube product review of the Insta and MP. I found it disheartening. MP could put some resources into helping MSPs navigate this new business model instead of accelerating the inevitable race to the bottom.

3. It's infuriating to me that Chris stated all of the marketing will be done around the new plans. I'm not sure what he means exactly. I'm pretty sure it means marketing directly to our clients we have educated and indoctrinated with MP encouraging them to buy their own accounts so MP can sell add ons which cuts MSPs out of reselling. One question which wasn't asked: As new features are released will the Classic plans have those too? I doubt it with these guys. I'm sure we will have to upgrade to have the latest tools available or push our clients into new plans for which they are, which is the goal.

4. It's insulting to hear they were so thoughtful with their large commercial clients and developed the plans based on their needs and careful analysis of current clients. MSPs are simply an afterthought for them, it's clear. We are a thorn in their sides. How easy would it have been to give us a survey? MSPs are not the "large commercial players" we are small businesses which in some cases put large percentages of our resources into starting our businesses, believing in MP. It doesn't take a Harvard MBA to know that we are more sensitive to price changes and fluctuations. I don't feel like anyone cares at MP though. We weren't considered, they are ready for us to leave.

Idea: Develop an MSP plan that allows us to be true resellers of which we can earn commissions. Plans which are more like wholesale MP, prices not listed on their website for the entire world to see. This isn't novel. It exists in nearly every industry.

5. I'd like to have some transparency on the direction of the MSP program immediately. As an owner of 3, full-priced ($12k +), MP cameras since 2015, the promise of marketing, leads and general support of growing my business has been nil. In fact, if you Google Matterport in my market you will see PPC ads from MP with the promise of more leads, which they don't provide. If you submit a request for an MP pro from their website you are given a sales pitch to buy the camera, not put you in touch with a Pro, unless you insist. How long will it be until they say "Hey, why spend $300 on a Pro to do the job when you can buy a 360 camera of your own and do it yourself with your cell phone?" see Insta YouTuber above, they are promoting this. There is a recent article about their major initiative of converting 360 images to 3D. Who will need the MP camera once complete? This is the prelude to our future. Where do we fit into their business? What impact to our cost per square foot? What percentage of their business is MSP? When will they allow the MSPs to participate in the "enterprise projects" jobs, do they need us to? Will there be a viable business model for MSPs once they figure out the 360 images to 3D?

Idea: Have MP offer a buyback program of our cameras so we can exit the business and allow them to gain some altruistic publicity by giving them away in 3rd world countries like we do with old cell phones.

In closing, I don’t fault MP for having to change, all businesses do. I take issue with the general callousness in which they treat MSPs in their decision making process when we have put much energy and resources helping build MP. I've been around startups, technology, and entrepreneurial business my whole life. I have never seen a business fumble like MP has with the MSP program. The cost of entry for the MSP was high, they owe us the respect of being transparent with us and not treating us like whiny kids. You can tell by the tone it's begrudging to even do the call yesterday. They owe us the truth. With all of the funding and well-educated staff, they have undoubtedly analyzed the impact of the MSP portion of their business. It looks to me the internal decision is to let it die.

MSP Since 2015

[name redacted]
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

The transcript (above) is also available via ISSUU platform (which may be an easier way to read). (Preview)

Here is a link to receive free read via ISSUU platform through 31 December 2019.

[Reading this after 31 December 2019? Join the free WGAN Forum and you will automatically receive a free Promo Code. Or, Private Message me.]

Dan

P.S. Download the ISSUU iOS app and look for the Publisher: We Get Around Network
Post 21 IP   flag post
101436 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?