Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Matterport 2019 New Pricing

This day had to come: new Matterport pricing.9289

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Screen grab from Matterport website

This day had to come: new Matterport pricing.

Hi All,

This day had to come: new Matterport pricing (effective today, Thursday, 9 May 2019).

Matterport pricing screamed out for:

✅ streamlining
✅ simplifying the complex
✅ reducing the friction with getting started
✅ demystifying the complexity, CAPS, overages
✅ reducing the pain we feel when we have unused processing credits in a month

I could imagine we are seeing the impact of the relatively new CEO and CMO reinventing Matterport pricing that barely changed since I bought my Matterport Pro1 3D Camera in July 2014: five years ago.

“Hosting limits. Processing different by number of scans. Why is so hard to understand Matterport pricing?” the new CEO likely asked his team.

“No more complexity. Pricing needs to be easy to understand. Pricing needs to be affordable for beginners to take us for a spin and we need a freemium model,” the CMO likely added. “We need to encourage adoption: not put up roadblocks. How can we make a simple, customer centric rate card that our customer can understand – without having to create what ifs in a spreadsheet?”

Five years in a world of SaaS is like 25 years. That old Matterport pricing model SaaS simply does not make sense in a world of freemium, easy-peasy pricing and reducing everything that causes friction.

While some of us with hundreds of Matterport spaces will be relieved that Matterport grandfathered us in (thank you) – the next generation of Matterporters need a super-simple rate card – without friction – with a straight-forward on-ramp to the super-highway for creating Matterport 3D Tours.

For many reasons unlimited uploading and unlimited processing makes sense from both the perspective of Matterport (mapping the world of spaces with all kinds of future uses – known and unknown opportunities for derivative uses) and for Matterport Service Providers.

The old pricing encouraged you to keep your scan count under 100; sacrificing a better looking 3D Tour experience. Or, not practicing scanning as much as you should. Or, training team members, etc.

Among our pain points has been charges for processing (and charging more for bigger spaces) and not allowing big spaces to count towards free processing limits.

Since the day I bought my Matterport Pro1 3D Camera in July 2014 – until yesterday (8 May 2019), it’s been super-hard to understand the Matterport Cloud pricing related to processing. Things like X models free with plan; 2X for processing 100+ scans; free models could/could not be 100+ scans and so forth. As of today (9 May 2019), unlimited uploading and unlimited processing.

Another pain point has been charging us for inactive models. As photographers, we don’t toss out digital assets despite our spouses quoting Marie Kondo. (It does not give us joy to delete.)

We save our work because we may have another opportunity to license it again – or new technologies that come along that let us do things with our digital assets that were not previously possible. By enabling us to archive models so that we are only charged for active Matterport 3D Tours (public, private, shareable) we'll be less cranky. For those of us that have deleting models, I could imagine that these Matterport spaces still exist and we just need to reach out to Matterport Support to have them reactivated in our account and then set to archived. (Matterport: please add a Restore Deleted Models Button to the archive system.)

One pain point not fully addressed by the new pricing model is what happens when many of us have more than 250 models? (That’s the cap on the $7,188 Business Plan.) Seems like it would be nice if the pricing tiers were on the Matterport website so that we could plan ahead without the need to talk with a Matterport Sales Rep.)

All that said, I could imagine Matterport has stepped into the future with a new CEO and CMO whom are willing to test and learn and are likely reading every word of your feedback today: good, bad or indifferent.

While it is likely that Matterport vetted the pricing strategy among its team, they are not the ones paying the Matterport invoices.

So, in the new Matterport pricing model, what does Matterport need to fix and why?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
I've been on a negotiated "enterprise" plan all year. I pay a set lump sum fee/month with "unlimited" storage. It is affordable. I'm glad they've rolled this out system-wide.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Wonderdawg private msg quote post Address this user
I’m happy to be grandfathered in; I’ve yet to delete any assets... but may have to think through real estate listings. I cannot fathom deleting any commercial spaces.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Premium
North Palm Beach, FL
hometakes private msg quote post Address this user
At over $7000 a year, they shouldn't put a 250 limit on the number of active tours that you can have at any one time..... I for one think it should be half that ($3500) for unlimited active tours, especially for something thats done in the cloud.

I have thousands of Vimeo Videos that will forever be on my Real Estate Agents Tour template which will always be active ready to play even after Im dead. I don't get charged extra by Vimeo.....

Why can't it be like that with the 3D Tours as long as you are on their plan? I know 3D is the latest and greatest, but thats why we already pay a premium already for it.

I see the two Majors in the 3D Tour Biz (Matterport and GEOcv) kinda being like AT&T and MCI were when AT&T was the only choice in town and then along came MCI. Sky high pricing.

I was with AT&T and I swore that I would never go back to them after feeling raped for 18 years. I Left them back in 2008 and haven't looked back at them since and never will. Same with Xfinity (Comcast). As soon as I had the option of Fibre at my door, I switched.

I was Hoping that GEOcv was going to be the savior on pricing but they joined the greedy group too. And where is MCI now? 'MC' who I hear! Yeah exactly, LOL. I believe that will be GEOcv unless they seriously re-structure their pricing.

In a few years time when 3D tech is common place and there is no Duopoly on it, people do remember that, right Motorala ($3500 mobile brick phone).
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @HarlanHambright
I've been on a negotiated "enterprise" plan all year. I pay a set lump sum fee/month with "unlimited" storage. It is affordable. I'm glad they've rolled this out system-wide.

Cool. Can you share your calculations of if it makes sense for you to switch to the new pricing?

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Wonderdawg
I’m happy to be grandfathered in; I’ve yet to delete any assets... but may have to think through real estate listings. I cannot fathom deleting any commercial spaces.

Yes. Nice that Matterport grandfathered in existing Matterport Clients (so that we have a choice to stay on the old plan or switch to the new plan.

Glad that you never deleted. The new archive solution announced by Matterport does not include restore to iPad. I created a new discussion on the archive topic.

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@hometakes

It will be interesting to see how GeoCV – and other platforms – react to Matterport's new pricing.

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
there were no calculations. I had a phone call with 2 fellows, one in chicago, I estimated how many tours I'd upload this year and they made me a monthly proposal which was lower than my then present average monthly charge which I could never figure out in the first place since I had so much overage, so it was a no-brainer. And I'm imazing tours to my computer now. It is imazing indeed. (somewhat slow initially, but useful.)
Post 8 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
leonherbert private msg quote post Address this user
So with the new plan I have to pay a lump sum (yearly subscription) because of the number of models I host. WTH, I like the idea, BUT at this stage I do not have the money to fork out that cash in one go.

Oh and I am still looking for the email from Matterport that should have come about a week/month ago telling me about the changes. Oh wait they never email you about anything that actually affects OUR business.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
PS this plan is definitely directed at real estate photographers, that will take down properties after a few months. It is not good for businesses that put long standing models up.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@leonherbert

Are you charging Monthly Recurring Revenue or Annual Recurring Revenue for ongoing "Hosting, Support and Maintenance" ..."

Why not going forward: regardless if you are on "classic" or "new" Matterport pricing.

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
Cincinnati, OH
@DanSmigrod Dan funnily enough I am now, but I have a large group of users that I did not do that with initially.

It is not good practice to go back to these clients and say "My Bad, I need to charge you a monthly fee now!!!"

We will persevere, if all fails there is a job at Walmart
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonherbert
It is not good practice to go back to these clients and say "My Bad, I need to charge you a monthly fee now!!!"

Yes. Agreed. Going forward, I recommend charging monthly or annual recurring revenue for "Hosting, Support and Maintenance" that aligns with Matterport new pricing model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonherbert
We will persevere, if all fails there is a job at Walmart

Can you get WGAN Forum Members a Blue Light special during your shift?

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Share how you feel about the Matterport New Pricing and ask questions of two Matterport executives.

Please join the Town Hall discussion today (Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 5 pm EDT (GMT -4)

Join the Town Hall Live
Post 14 IP   flag post
101436 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?