Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 473 Unique Visitors
9,024 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 40,828 Page Views | 20,383 Unique Visitors | 46 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BooksFAQNewbiesPFREPhotography for Real Estate

Adding photography service to Matterport service9266

WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys,

Normally it would be the other way around when a photographer adds Matterport to their services.

I have some background in amateur photography as I was doing it since I was 12 as a hobby. Nothing professional, just went to some training when I was in school, learnt how to work with film and was doing some personal photos. If not counting astrophotography which I spent about 3 years doing until my kids were born.

Anyway as a Matterport provider I was thinking about adding still photography to my line of professional services. I have Sony A7s to shoot with so I am just after any advise on what(apart from lens and a tripod) you usually carry with you when you go to a job?

Also any advise on a good book for property photography or may be some decent inexpensive online course to get some basic skills for it.

And what kind of lenses do you usually have for property jobs?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Hartland, Wisconsin
htimsabbub23 private msg quote post Address this user
For me using something like camranger or similar product was a game changer. I could bracket, compose, and start the camera all from an iPad or phone. Also has an option for live view on the remote device which helps see the composition better over the 1 inch camera display.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman

I'm chuckling, because this was exactly my path - started first with just Matterport, but quickly added HDR photo services. I'm now easily doing 3x's the dollar volume in HDR photos as compared to MP. It has greatly expanded my business.

Two thoughts: 1) I love HDR because it does not require flash to get great results. It is relatively forgiving and can be replicated by others on your team. 2) Learn how to process the photos, BUT don't get bogged down by doing this yourself long-term. Hire on a good photo editor (several are members / sponsors here, especially PhotoAndVideoEdits.com ). You will need this bandwidth once your business grows.

For good info on the HDR process and some great resources, take a look at https://www.hdrsoft.com/, the website for the Photomatix software. From there, you can develop a further bibliography of resources to study in more depth.

Finally - don't be afraid to play, experiment, work outside of the "rules". You'll be amazed at what you come up with!

Best,

Keith
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
@Wingman

Forgot to answer one of your questions:

I use a Nikon D750 (full frame, pretty robust) and use the following lenses:

Nikon Nikkor 16-35 mm
Tokina ATAX 16-28 mm
Tokina ATAX 28-70 mm
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman

Here are two books. (WGAN Standard and Premium Members receive these two books – free – via WGAN rebate.)

Book: The Business of Real Estate Photography

If you are new to the business of real estate photography, here are two books you may find helpful:

1. Getting Started in Real Estate Photography
2. The Business of Real Estate Photography

Booth books are by Photography For Real Estate (PFRE) Photographer Larry Lohman

Dan

Book: The Business of Real Estate Photography

Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Queensland, Australia
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you guys for advices. I will check all the links.

When you are usually called for a job and arrive at a property is somebody guiding you on what to picture or you are pretty much do it all yourself?

If for example a real estate agent tells you what and from what point to picture some space and you see it is not going to work and there is a better way

1)do you still do what you asked, then do what you think will be the best way and then provide both for a client to choose from
2)kind of politely saying that you are pro, it is not going to show it in a best way and explain that your way will be better insisting on it.
3)do as asked thinking you are working for a client and that's what they want.
Post 6 IP   flag post
JonJ private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman,

When you are contacted for a shoot, remember that they hired you because you are the "expert". Most agents rely on you to provide them with the best photos possible to help them to market the property. You should have a good idea of what images you are going to take as you tour the property. I have a shot list that I use when photographing properties so that I am consistent with the number of images I take and deliver. If an agent has some input, they will usually let you know. If you are uncertain about whether or not your client will be happy with the images that you took, have them review them prior to leaving the shoot. Otherwise, stick to your shot list and do the best job you can!

Just remember, if something is worth doing, it is worth doing badly. We all have to start somewhere and you will improve in time, with practice. Ideally, you will have reached a minimum level of proficiency before accepting your first paid gig.

Hope that helps!
Jon
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
@Wingman

Exactly what JonJ said! Your clients don't know what you don't know. Nor do they know what you are capable of learning!

And, always remember Ely's Law: Wear the right costume and the part plays itself!

All the Best,

Keith
Post 8 IP   flag post
101274 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?