Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 761 Unique Visitors
9,054 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,838 Page Views | 19,122 Unique Visitors | 26 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
FireHistoric PreservationWater Damage

Horrific Fire That Engulfed Norte Dame Cathedral: Why what we do Matters9127

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Hi All,

While the world watched in sorrow at the horrific fire that engulfed Norte Dame Cathedral yesterday (Monday, 15 April 2019) – an artistic and engineering marvel – this tragic event reminded me of why our work Matters.

Some of us are doing Matterport 3D Tours of historic spaces that likely do not have "as built" drawings.

Our Matterport scans may be the only documentation that exists at the time of a catastrophic event to enable a historic space to be rebuilt.

I could imagine - and hope – that Norte Dame has previously scanned every inch with LiDAR tech to help in the rebuilding of this iconic, historic church.

That's not likely the case for the historic space I scanned above. I hope that a colossal, devastating event never occurs. But, if it does, I could imagine that the Matterport Object (.obj) file and the visuals from every angle – would be sufficient documentation to help rebuild this historic space.

You too likely – or will likely – scan a historic landmark where your documentation that may be needed to re-build in the event of fire or flood.

And, while rebuilding Norte Dame – or the iconic spaces that you have - or will scan - will never be the original, you will have played a historic role because your work Matters.

Have you done a scan of a historic space? Please share it here.

Best,

Dan

P.S. I shared via Facebook a 360º photo sphere of the interior of Norte Dame by Pietro Madaschi with 360Visio.
Post 1 IP   flag post
CharlesHH private msg quote post Address this user
It was a tragedy to see such a building go. I honestly cannot think of another iconic, historic building and with such a cultural significance. Remember that this was completed 200 years before Columbus!
I see the Louvre museum in Paris has a poor 360 tour with curved distorted 360 views. It also won’t play on my iPad as it uses Flash which is now a web no-no. Better get in my car...
Post 2 IP   flag post
3SixtyNow private msg quote post Address this user
At least it was scanned. A great example of a use for 3D scanning and how valuable a scan can be!
Here is an article from ZDNET:
clickable text
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@3SixtyNow

Wow! Great find. Thanks for sharing that ZDNET article:

In the wake of the Notre Dame Cathedral fire, digital scans offer hope for restoration

Nice to hear that the Notre Dame Cathedral was scanned in 2000.

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
Peterborough, United Kingdom
angusnorriss private msg quote post Address this user
Yes the work of Anthony Tallon was captured and gives hope to restore quickly.

The Telegraph (16 April 2019) The man who scanned Notre-Dame: Could Andrew Tallon’s work help rebuild the cathedral?
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Another related article ...

✓ MIT Technology Review (16 April 2019) This digital scan of Notre Dame offers hope for its restoration after the fire

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Laser Scanning Reveals Cathedral’s Mysteries | National Geographic | Video courtesy of National Geographic YouTube Channel

Hi All,

Related ...

National Geographic - Historian uses lasers to unlock mysteries of Gothic cathedrals
(Originally published 22 June 2015 and re-published today (16 April 2019).

"As a result, the stunningly realistic panoramic photographs are amazingly accurate. At Notre Dame, he took scans from more than 50 locations in and around the cathedral—collecting more than one billion points of data."

"Laser scans, with their exquisite precision, don't miss a thing. Mounted on a tripod, the laser beam sweeps around the choir of a cathedral, for example, and measures the distance between the scanner and every point it hits. Each measurement is represented by a colored dot, which cumulatively create a three-dimensional image of the cathedral. "If you've done your job properly," says Tallon, the scan is "accurate to within five millimeters [.5 centimeter].""

Source: National Geographic

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
CharlesHH private msg quote post Address this user
That is amazing work.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: Step inside Notre-Dame cathedral [VR/360] (28 February 2019)

Ironically, this article first appeared 11 March 2019 ... checkout the 360º video above.

VR Scout (11 March 2019) Targo Releases VR Documentary On Notre Dame Cathedral

Your thoughts?

Best,

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
USA Today (17 April 2019) USA TODAY Builds AR Replica Of Notre Dame In Less Than 8 Hours
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Leica Geosystems Blog (30 April 019) Precision Laser Scans of Notre Dame Cathedral Can Help to Preserve, Restore, and Rebuild
Post 12 IP   flag post
michaelr private msg quote post Address this user
its amazing how much we can save by taking digital imaging of historical sites
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Video: 3D Capture for Insurance Documentation - Dayton, Notre Dame | Video courtesy of Rafael A. Renteria YouTube Channel

Hi All,

This WGAN Forum discussion is referred to in the video above. (4 minutes into the video)

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
101730 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?