Connecting 3D/360° Tour Buyers to Service Providers powered by
the Most In-Depth, Relevant and Up-to-Date Content for the 3D/360° Community
Join FREE! 50+ Benefits
Should I buy a Camera? Quiz How Much to Start 3D Tour Business? Calculate How Much Can I Make as a Pro? Calculate Win More Listings? Calculate
Option #1
Find a 3D Tour Photographer Map
We Get Around Network Find a Pro Service
Matterport Service Provider? Join We Get Around Network
Option #2
Book a Matterport Pro in 60 Seconds
We Get Around Network Instant Booking Service
Powered byKoaWare
Matterport Service Provider (USA)? Join KoaWare Free! Register Now
Last 30 Days: 56,999 Page Views | 12,929 Visitors | 95 New Members
WGAN Knowledge Base | Total Posts: 58,743  |  Total Topics: 8,971
5,001 WGAN Members in 125 Countries
We Get Around Network Forum
WGAN Training Academy (Learn more)
WGAN-TV Channel
Matterport Workshop 3.0 Training for Newbies
Part 5 with Matterport Marketing Mgr. Amir Frank
Matterport Training Academy
60+ Hours | Succeed Faster
Matterport Scanning | Matterport Workshop 3.0
Private Message @DanSmigrod for free ...
Subscribe Now WGAN-TV Program Schedule | Need Help? | All Videos
DJIDJI Mavic ProDJI Phantom 4 ProVersus

Video: DJI Phantom 4 Pro verrsus DJI Mavic Pro8969

WGAN
Founder
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Mavic 2 Pro vs. Phantom 4 Pro In-Depth Comparison | Video courtesy Parker Walbeck YouTube Channel
Video: DJI Mavic 2 Pro vs. Phantom 4 Pro Image Quality Comparison | Video courtesy of Billy Kyle YouTube Channel

Video: DJI Mavic 2 Pro vs. Phantom 4 Pro FULL Image Quality Comparison | Video courtesy of Billy Kyle YouTube Channel

Hi All,

If you just starting out with a drone for real estate, would you recommend:

DJI Phantom 4 Pro
DJI Mavic Pro
✓ Other?

thanks,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Standard
Member
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
Since the DJI Phantom 4 Pro is no longer available, I would have to say the Mavic Pro2
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Founder
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@rzphotoman

I guess you can tell that I don't have a drone yet.

What replaced the DJI DJI Phantom 4 Pro?

Thanks,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
Standard
Member
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing yet. You can still find some of the Phantom 4 Pro v2 occasionally online, but DJI is not producing them anymore and are not selling them on their website.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@rzphotoman

I guess you can tell that I don't have a drone yet.

What replaced the DJI DJI Phantom 4 Pro?

Thanks,

Dan

I would ask first what do you need a drone for? The second question how portable it needs to be?

The world does not evolve only around DJI drones. There are a lot of more reliable drones if you want to do a commercial job with a drone. Also some of them are cheaper than DJI drones. And it is not because they are not as good as DJI ones it is because DJI drones are quite expensive for what they are.
Post 5 IP   flag post
3rd Party
Service
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I love my Mavic 2 Pro! The Hasselblad Lens is AMAZING and a MASSIVE improvement over the already excellent lens in the Mavic Pro.

The reviewer doesn't mention the fact that the controller will charge your phone so that your phone doesn't drain. This does drain the controller a bit, but lets be honest, do you want your phone dying while flying? No.

The internal storage on the Mavic 2 is a life-saver. Like the reviewer, I have left my MicroSD in my computer on several embarrassing occasions.

Color temperature on the Mavic 2 Pro is a bit warmer, but as you are shooting in RAW, this is quickly fixed.

One feature that the reviewer did not mention is that the Mavic 2 Pro folds up nicely and can fit into a tight little bag that you can get from the Fly More package (which most people will want for the extra 2 batteries and additional propellers). You'll likely NOT want to use the little bag though unless you need to travel light as it can be a bit awkward when you are setting your drone up on site. A larger case that has all of your components visible and easily accessible will save you time and make you look much more professional.

--

Great video, I really enjoyed it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
Founder
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360

Fun reading your story. Got some video/photo examples to share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Wingman
I would ask first what do you need a drone for? The second question how portable it needs to be?

The world does not evolve only around DJI drones. There are a lot of more reliable drones if you want to do a commercial job with a drone. Also some of them are cheaper than DJI drones. And it is not because they are not as good as DJI ones it is because DJI drones are quite expensive for what they are.


Which drone would you recommend for a newbie whom is a professional real estate photographer / Matterport Service Provider and wants to begin adding aerial photos and video to the service offering?

Best,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Standard
Member
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
I am also A big DJI fan. The care refresh program that gives you a new drone if you have an accident and crash it for $99 is a lifesaver. Already used it once. For a new flyer this is a must have option. I don't know of any other manufacture that offers that. I have the Phantom 4 Pro2 model and love it. Tempted to buy the Mavic Pro 2 but I want to see the next generation Phantom first.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
Which drone would you recommend for a newbie whom is a professional real estate photographer / Matterport Service Provider and wants to begin adding aerial photos and video to the service offering?


If it is only for residential real estate Mavic Pro should be fine. Although you cannot call redundant commercial drone considering it has only 4 rotors.
I own one but it is for personal use only and I only bought it because I have got refurbished at a great deal paying $700 less than a new one costs. Surprisingly though I have got 2 faulty batteries out of 3 which is not really cool considering it was refurbished by DJI.

If you want some redundancy and do not mind a bigger size look at 6 rotors drones. Yuneec is selling a few with 6 rotors and some of them can be 2-3 cheaper than Mavic pro.

Just google for Yuneec typhoon h series(h+ Pro, H Pro or H480) They all come with 6 rotors and include a RC unit with built in 7" android tablet. There is also h520(that I have) but it is a commercial model and with a camera it may cost slightly more than Mavic Pro depending on what camera you choose.

For example this is brand new YUNEEC Typhoon H with 4K camera and it is below $800.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=163580283435&_sacat=0

Or this one with a camera and collision sensors made by Intel still half price of Mavic Pro
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yuneec-TYPHOON-H-RTF-Drone-w-Intel-RealSense-with-Backpack-2-Batteries/322278424691?epid=1674727321&hash=item4b094a8073:g:VlQAAOSwOyJX7u-O&frcectupt=true

Also keep in mind that if you get DJI products most of them including Mavic Pro need to have a phone/tablet/Ipad added to their controller. However most(I would say over 90%) cheap and expensive mobile devices cannot run DJI GO app at all so you must find something quite powerfull just to control your camera and see what you are filming. I would add another $200-300 just for that.

My business partner btw has only DJI drones. He is using Inspire 1 for all real estate and commercial. It is not bad but it was still expensive to buy.

At least you can put some different cameras on Inspire and expand your drone services to thermal or even for cinematic shooting. It won't be plug and plug like it is with Inspire 1/2 if you have Mavic Pro or Phantom.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
I have forgotten to mention that I am comparing prices in AUD because DJI allows their Australian distributors to add a lot to their USA price. So we are paying about 25% more to USA prices converted to AUD for all DJI products. Yuneec sells their drones in Australia sometimes for less that their US prices converted to AUD.
Since you are in USA it may not be as big difference but yuneec drones are still cheaper and considering just extra 2 rotors are better for any commercial job.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Standard
Member
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman Cheeper until you crash one and have to pay full price to replace it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN
Founder
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360 @rzphotoman @Wingman

So, for residential real estate - there are just a few options - and sounds like a Canon Versus Nikon or PC Versus Mac conversation.

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
3rd Party
Service
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod I like what @rzphotoman had to say. The DJI Refresh Program -is- excellent. I signed up with my Mavic Pro 2 after destroying my Mavic Pro. There's nothing more motivating than losing a drone

For Real Estate photography, I'd definitely say go with the Mavic Pro 2. If you are sticking with DJI, I do think that the Phantom 4 seems to have more cred with drone enthusiasts. A colleague of mine pointed out to me that Pix4D, which is a more powerful tool than Drone Deploy, does not support the Mavic (yet) - so there definitely seems to be a professional bias towards the Phantom Series.

@Wingman - Thanks for pointing out the Yuneec ("unique" Typhoon H Plus -- I know little about drones beyond what I've used. I would absolutely love to try one of these out and do see your point about having a dedicated screen (although, one can also have a dedicated iPad Mini for any of these devices -- of course, that does add to the cost).
Post 13 IP   flag post
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzphotoman
@Wingman Cheeper until you crash one and have to pay full price to replace it.

Not really, 1st yuneec parts are cheaper than DJI so if you handy you can repair yourself and on top of that Yuneec offers the same replacement program as DJI does. Plus you just have less chances to crash with a hexacopter in a case one motor malfunction that you have with quadcopter.

Some construction sites won't even talk to you if you offer them to do a job with a quadcopter. It's just REA people do not care about it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
@Wingman - Thanks for pointing out the Yuneec ("unique" Typhoon H Plus -- I know little about drones beyond what I've used. I would absolutely love to try one of these out and do see your point about having a dedicated screen (although, one can also have a dedicated iPad Mini for any of these devices -- of course, that does add to the cost).


Yuneec is just next big brand to DJI. There Is also Walkera and Parrot but they in my opinion are far behind these two.

I only know all this because I usually do a big research before I buy some expensive business equipment.

As for Ipad Mini, it is good when you have it. However if you do not have Ipad or Iphone then you have to expect to spend a few 100s on a compatible device for DJI drones.
I have an Ipad 9" for Matterport which I have bought only for it but it is just too big.

I did some research regarding what kind of devices I could run DJI GO app. It turn out it can flawlessly run on Xiaomi Mi Max 2 which costs only $260 AUD(less than $190USD). It is I believe 2015/2016 model but it still beats in performance latest models of Samsung and comes with a big 6.44" screen.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Wingman private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@Metroplex360 @rzphotoman @Wingman

So, for residential real estate - there are just a few options - and sounds like a Canon Versus Nikon or PC Versus Mac conversation.

Dan


Kind of but it was not my intention to start an argument over brands.
Just wanted for you and others to see alternative products that are no way worse, beat DJI in some aspects and still can be cheaper.

There are DIY kits available made by Tarot and sold for much less than DJI drones. It can be a huge 8 rotor drone with a 900mm wings spread that can carry quite a payload and it is still cheaper. But you probably do not want something that big to be used for filming any residential house.
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN
Founder
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Wingman

Love the discussion and suggestions. Much thanks.

I could imagine others are finding this discussion helpful too.

Best,

Dan
Post 17 IP   flag post
59452 17 17
destitute