Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360CortexInsta360 Pro 2Ricoh Theta V

Can Matterport Cortex convert 360s into 3D?8951

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakoure
...anything on [Matterport] converting 360 panoramas into 3D views?

The Cortex announcement from MP seemed to include this type of conversion as a recent capability, although I might very well be reading it wrong.

Seems like the answer is, yes. That’s what Matterport is doing with RICOH Théâtre V and Insta360 ONE X.

Other thoughts?

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
RichardStanton private msg quote post Address this user
Yes I can say first hand that it does. In the beta software there is also an "experimental" feature where you can convert your Matterport device's own 360 photos into 3d as well if you do not have one of the aforementioned cameras. I have been heavily testing this with the Insta360 OneX and playing with the Matterport's own 360 ingestion as I can as well. I have also been playing with leveraging the 360 photo ingestion/conversion to help fill in problematic mesh areas, mixed results so far, but it's still beta and a lot more scenarios to try!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Shakoure private msg quote post Address this user
@RichardStanton ...Thanks, that's really good to hear. In playing around with that feature myself, I think I accidentally accomplished converting a 360 view into a 3d scan... but don't know how it was done. Any how-to tips?
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Shakoure, yeah it's actually not very intuitive, though it *sort of* makes sense after you do it a few times. Basic process looks like this:

* Make sure you are running the Beta version of Capture 3

* Do a scan with your Pro II set to 360 mode

* Once complete, on the bottom right corner of the UI select the 360 views bubble with a poke (or if you had a long day a jab works too to get out a little stress )

* Jab or Poke the 360 photo you are interested in converting in the list at bottom of the screen

* Poke the "place on map" button located (currently) in the upper right portion of the UI, just to the left of the trash can.

* A dot will be placed on the isometric view, usually somewhere just south of nowherezville (or maybe it just does this to me because I offended it at some point)
****** If in nowheresville pinch the map and get yourself in sight of where you took the shot if possible.

* Poke and hold on the dot so that you can move it (no jabbing here, might lose your dot!) and drag it to the location that you took the shot.

* Once in place, single tap the icon for your 360 photo, if you managed to drag it the whole way without deselecting it at some point you will see a round window open which will show an overhead view of your 360 shot.
****** If you do not see as describe above, poke somewhere else on the screen to deselect anything you may have selected, return to your 360 and *single* tap it to get the context menu, and select the "Drag and Rotate" option at the top so that you may catch back up with the class.

* [Important step!] In the circular window you will notice it rotates as you drag your finger. Look at the location of the shot and orientate the view in the circle to match reality to maximize consistency

* Once set, poke off of the screen to remove the active selection from your 360 photo.

* *single poke* the 360 icon you just placed again to bring up the context menu

* At the bottom of the context menu, AND you have the 3d engine installed, you will see an option for "Convert to 3D (Experimental)"

* Poke the "Convert to 3D (Experimental)" option and your 360 photo will start the conversion process
****** Once the conversion is applied you will see it appear with the new 3d icon on the map along with any of the mesh data that it collected from the conversion process.
****** If the above data is bad, just delete the newly created 3D object to remove the bad 3D data.
****** In the 360 Menu you should find the original photo you converted, drag back to the location you took it if you will want to display it, but further attempts at converting are not worth your time in my experience.

* Hug your freshly updated space, whether it has some new 360 Cortex based data in it or not, because it's a GOOD space!

Not trying to be pedantic or suggest you do not know most of the above, I just figured if I was going to take the time to type it I might as well do it ground up. And wow I never knew I would miss being able to do tabs or indent in a message so much so please excuse my lame inserts...
Post 4 IP   flag post
Shakoure private msg quote post Address this user
@RichardStanton ...This was great, Richard! Wish I had this info before my last shoot.

Sometimes our eyes gloss over the screen in a way that misses what we should be focused on. The "place on the map" is not Designed as a button so it simply didn't register to me as an option when exploring the 360 options. The other UX problem is that the menu that appears by clicking on the placed 360 frequently fills passed the bottom of the screen, so that the Convert option is cut off. Hence, you'll only see the first 3 options: Drag & Rotate, Move to Floor, and Remove from Map.

Nevertheless, I hope I'm not the only who missed these visual cues. I think your instruction will help many others to learn about this new tool AND how to engage it despite some of the obscurity in design and interface.

Thank you so much
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Post 6 IP   flag post
JC3DCX private msg quote post Address this user
Done a few 360 conversions and it is a huge leap forward getting rid of sun spots
Post 7 IP   flag post
Yeah it can great for that, and quick as @Metroplex360 pointed out if you are doing it on top of a previous successful (location, not necessarily mesh) scan! A lot of my test cases have been in situations where location data points are sparse or nonexistent, with mixed results. Even so, when I can make it work, very promising! The system will only get smarter as it learns from more contributed scans and configurations.
Post 8 IP   flag post
101429 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?