Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseCookiesMatterport EcosystemMatterport KerfuffleWarning

WARNING Are you aware of this?8916

GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
I just updated my hard drive and in doing so all cookies are removed as well as logins so you start fresh as if you are a first time user of a Matterport virtual tour. When I went to the page below this is what I was greeted with from Matterport as a first time viewer of their marvellous Viewer. What you see below are the oppressive T&C’s that MP dictates on anyone viewing “YOUR CONTENT” via their Matterport Viewer. Once I came back to this page the T&C's no longer popped up meaning that MP are using cookies which is a question that @3dshowcaseuk has raised https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/8906/matterport-using-cookies-on-every-tour Here in the UK as is the case in the rest of the EU Matterport needs to request permission to do so, so they are in violation of the EU’s GDPR policies. This will also have an impact for potential EU clients. This is just another example of how Matterport ignores the rights of the content creator as well as the end user. This is why solutions like GeoCv and others should be considered in favour of Matterport as you the choice for VT producers.

I was shocked to see this and I wonder what potential customers would think. It may be the reason that many of you have received “no thanks” from potential clients as these first time viewers of a VT you send them as shocked by the T&C’s which state that Matterport “owns the content”. I’m sure that many of you have never looked at the T&C’s but please just take a minute to look at Item 3 in the T&C’s. You can find the Matterport T&C’s in the bottom right hand corner of any Matterport Viewer under Terms. This is what pops up when any first time viewer views a Matterport virtual tour for the first time. What would you do if you were a corporate customer and confronted with these T&C?

Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@GarySnyder

Yikes!

Thank you for sharing this.

1. Matterport Service Provider develops business
2. Matterport uses cookies to (likely) buy Matterport Camera ads to our Clients
3. #Disturbing

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

4. Leading to first GeoCV shoot (yesterday)

KF
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Chemistrydoc

Please do start a new WGAN Forum discussion about your experience shooting with GeoCV, when you can.

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
Knew it. How do we proceed.
Gary is it easy to provide evidence that matterpot are illegally using cookies in Europe.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

Still in the learning phase - I will be happy to do so once I get the workflow down from start to finish.

It's been good so far, with some caveats.

Keith
Post 6 IP   flag post
@3dshowcaseuk, ask someone you know who has never viewed a MP VT to view one of your models, make sure your are with them as the launch the page. As they launch the VT the T&C's will popup. Do a screen capture and you have witnesses that they have seen the T&C's. Have them launch the VT again with a new tab and the T&C's will not appear again meaning that cookies have been planted within their browser without any warning which is a clear violation of the EU's GDPR policies.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
Peterborough, United Kingdom
angusnorriss private msg quote post Address this user
I alerted Matterport of this last year too. Nothing was done. In fact, along with support, they seem to be ostriches burying their head in the sand.

The U.K. Matterport market is directly suffering. Companies are taking GDPR seriously, they don’t want to break the law.

@Matterport - GET COMPLIANT.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
If they are reported to the correct authority they could face a big fine for breaking GDPR
Post 9 IP   flag post
Founder
Nail Soup Media
Sarasota, Florida
GlennTremain private msg quote post Address this user
Another reason to use wp3dmodels while having a Facebook pixel. Then deliver only wp3dmodels urls to your clients and spend money on retargeting.

Unbranded mls compliant tours has traffic from everywhere getting the pixel
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GlennTremain

I believe it is likely that the Matterport notice will show up even in WP3D Models.

@GarySnyder

Are you able to test with this link created with WP3D Models?

https://gallery.we-get-around.com/3d-model/321-patterson-way-atlanta/skinned/

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod, As I thought now that MP has planted their cookies on my system no indication of T&C's. If it hadn't been for the fact that I upgraded my PC over the weekend from 500gb SSD to a 1Tb SSD I would have never know that MP were planting cookies on my or anyone else system.

An interesting fact here in Europe you always have the option of opting out of every European website or you can accept what is referred to as "essential cookies" but op out of all other cookies. The important issues here is you are always notified and given the option. MP has done no such thing and I feel are secretly planting cookies on anyone who views and VT provided by MP. I shall do some checking to find out what can be done about this since MP has the European offices here in the UK.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
👍
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GarySnyder

I opened a Matterport Support ticket with the following Matterport Cookies questions...

Dan

----

Hello Matterport Support,

About Matterport Showcase cookies:

1. What kind of cookies is Matterport using with Matterport Showcase?
2. How does Matterport use these cookies?
3. Specifically, does Matterport use these cookies to advertiser Matterport Camera sales to these cookies?

I will post your reply here:

WARNING Are you aware of this?

and here ...

Matterport using cookies on every tour

Thanks,

Dan Smigrod
Founder
We Get Around Network Forum
Post 14 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod, Thanks
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GarySnyder

I have not heard back from Matterport Support in the last 24 hours.

Dan
Post 16 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GarySnyder

I received this reply from Matterport Support at 12:30 pm ET today (20 March 2019).

Dan

---

Screen Grab from my email.
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GarySnyder

I received this reply from Matterport Support 10:53 pm PDT Wednesday, 20 March 2019....

Dan

---

Post 18 IP   flag post
Thanks @DanSmigrod, GDPR clearly states that any website operating within the EU need to notify all users that any form of cookies are being attached to the device the viewer is viewing the content. This is why you clearly see a popup notice on most websites that states if you wish to proceed cookies will be added to your device.

Most website now go even further and allow you to opp out of non essential cookies but all notify you that cookies are being set. Matterport is in violation of the ICO rulings and can be subject to substantial fine.

In regards to use of these cookies, knowing MP I feel that it's a pretty safe bet that in any viewers course of viewing websites the unexpected viewer will see a popup ad for MP. Many of you have seen these banners and cookies are how they're triggered.

You all have to realize that MP is a profit machine and whatever course MP needs to take they will vigorously purser this path for profit. Any of you out there think they wont need to just look at their past history. Perhaps @DanSmigrod can provide us with a historical outline of MP aggressive marketing tactics over the last 5 years that have stepped on MSP's.
Post 19 IP   flag post
101636 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?