Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 761 Unique Visitors
9,056 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,838 Page Views | 19,122 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360 CamerasBuy CameraNewbies

Matterport Pro2 3D Camera versus Using Matterport with 1-Click 360º Cameras8915

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport Pro2 3D Camera versus Using Matterport with 1-Click 360º Cameras

Hi All,

How should I reply to this email on Monday (18 March 2019) that I received this morning (Saturday, 16 March 2019)?

Thanks,

Dan

---

Subject: Camera 360 vs Matterport machine

Hello....

My name is [redacted] and I am new to [WGAN Forum] ......

I'm thinking of buying a matterport next month. I am from [Country] and here the market is still very young. In a universe of [redacted] million inhabitants there should be a maximum of 20 matterport's.

I've been browsing the forum and I see you're a pro on this subject.

Do you think that given the evolution of software that allows 360 cameras still worth buying the machine? I say this to think for years to come. Will the investment in the machine still be worth it?

In a year from now, are the cheaper 360 cameras at the same level?

I have read a lot about this topic but would like to know the opinion of an expert.

Thank you very much

[redacted]
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
I would say that right now Matterport is still the #1 platform for 3D Virtual Tours, but maybe not for long. I would wait a while before I make the $3000-$4000 investment in Matterport. In 2-3 months, everything could change.
Post 2 IP   flag post
HarlanHambright private msg quote post Address this user
I think 2-3 months might be a little optimistic. Image quality is still superior with Pro2 but I have to say I was really impressed with the Theta on my iPhone the other day. Image quality is abysmal, but alignment, etc, was amazing.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Wonderdawg private msg quote post Address this user
I would get the Matterport 2; start out of the gates with high quality imagery and figure out your Return on Investment. Don’t discount your pricing; if you’re smart and strategic with marketing I would aim to have your Matterport paid off in three months. You can do this!
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@rzphotoman
@HarlanHambright
@Wonderdawg

Thank you!

Hello [redacted],

You probably saw some WGAN Member thoughts about your questions.

To help me answer your questions, please let me know:

1. What problem are you trying to solve with Matterport?
2. What business you are in now? (LinkedIn link would be helpful)
3. Do you have trusted relationships with those that can buy your services (or refer you)?
4. What are you a subject matterport expert in?

Thanks,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

I received answers to my questions.

With this additional info, how would you respond?

Best,

Dan

---

Hi Dan
First, let me thank you for the time you spend dedicating to my question.

Answering your questions.

1. 2. 3. I have several clients in the areas of real estate and hotel for whom I take photographs, videos and virtual tours (with Samsung Gear 360 and my sphere). One of them, a large group ([redacted] portal to advertise homes) wants me to start doing 3D with Matterport. I believe that I can increase my billing for this customer in at least [amount] a month with the matterport (the machine costs €2900). He is a reliable customer for those who already work a year and a half.

Basically I am a service provider for them who subcontract me to take the photos, videos and make virtual tours for their clients.

An example of my work:

[redacted]

4. I have never worked with 3D or the matterport.

I'm using this software to do the Virtual Tours: https://www.immoviewer.com/

As I explained, I believe that as a young market has a lot of potential this type of service (3D), my question is whether the investment in matterport compensates in relation to the evolution of 360º machines like insta360 and ricoh.

By the way, and not wanting to abuse, which one is the best 360 machine on the market?

Thanks again.

[redacted]
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hello Redacted,

I recommend that you invest in a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera (rather than using either an Insta360 One X or Ricoh Theta V (or the Ricoh Theta Z1 that is scheduled to begin shipping 11 April 2019.

Because you are a professional real estate photographer AND you have a large client that wants you to shoot Matterport, you (and your client) are likely to be much happier with the Matterport 3D Tours when shot with the Matterport Pro2 Camera.

I encourage you to ask for a pre-paid pre-order from your client that is requesting Matterport to pay for the camera. This way, you don't buy the Camera and the client says, "Oh, I was just thinking that it would be nice that you offered Matterport, but we're not interested in moving forward with Matterport at this time." That has happened to at least one Member of the WGAN that did "research" and bought a Matterport Camera only to find that solid orders did not happen.

Could you get buy with either the Ricoh Theta V or Insta360 One X? Yes. Likely so. Today, I would recommend the Insta360 One X. That might change once I see a Matterport 3D Tour created with a Ricoh Theta Z1. If you might use RICOH Tours, then you would likely want the Ricoh Theta Z1.

About which platform for 3D Tours or 360º Tours? If your Client(s) want Matterport, offer that. If your client wants immoviewer, offer that.

Again, with Matterport, you and your clients will be happier with a Matterport Pro2 3D Camera. Will the 360º cameras get better in time? Yes. Will they come down in price? yes. Will the Matterport Pro2 camera come down in price (and/or be replaced)? Yes.

Make you decision based on the amount of business that you can do today. If you can negotiate a pre-paid firm, bulk order from your earlier adopter client, then the decision for you will be super-easy.

Hope that helps.

Please let me know what you decide to do so that I can share that with the WGAN Community.

Best,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
101740 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?