Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceAirplanesTips

9 Tips for Shooting the interior/exterior of an aircraft with Matterport8909

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

Can you provide 9 tips for shooting the interior/exterior of an aircraft with Matterport, if you have experiencing shooting an aircraft?

It's likely that the Matterport Service Provider that tackles this aircraft shoot near Minneapolis, MN will have no prior experience shooting the interior/exterior of an aircraft with Matterport.

10 Tips

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
I shot a few airplanes inside (http://museumofflight.org/vr). What I remember is running a lot back and forth the aisle to hide from the scan. If you want a good dollhouse, you may have to shoot in between all rows. If you bring along an assistant, you can be more efficient as you focus positioning the scanner and hiding, while the assistant presses the scan button :-)

Most recently I did a test with the BLK of another plane: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=m2JQ5V1t3iZ
The wings didn't come up well in my dollhouse. I suspect that the scanner needs to be positioned higher to capture what you can't see from below. So a higher tripod would have made the difference.

Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Tosolini

Much thanks for sharing.

Hi All,

Here are some tips for scanning:

1. An airplane is likely very difficult; unlike any that you have done before.
2. For example, for the dollhouse to look nice, you likely need to scan every 12 inches
3. You can hide nearly all the scans. All scan shot are used for the dollhouse; even if hidden.
4. You likely need to scan at two or three heights to capture all the data for the dollhouse view.
5. Again, only a couple of scans would be used for the walk around experience. All other scans hidden.
6. I do not recommend scanning outdoors. It's likely to look like a train wreck unless shot in a hanger and even then, you would likely need a $$$$$ extra-tall tripod to scan above the wings.
7. I recommend that you quote something like $$$$ or $$$$$ knowing that you will likely need to scan the aircraft twice. The first time you will learn about about what to do the second time to get it right.
8. If it was me, i would likely charge $X plus $X monthly automatically charged to a credit card.
9. I would include MatterTags at no charge.
10. Do not charge by SQ FT.

I would be upfront with the Client that you have not shot an airplane before and your fee would only be charged if he decides to use the resulting tour. It would be a good mental challenge, learning experience and might open up a new revenue stream doing airplanes, if you can nail this one.

If you have experience scanning an aircraft, please do share what worked and did not work for you. Including a Matterport 3D Tour of the aircraft would be appreciated.

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
Melbourne, Florida
lifelikeview private msg quote post Address this user
Be prepared for leveling issues.. if the plane is sitting unevenly, the goal should be to match the leveling of the plane and not proper level. It is a bit more obvious when you are off with how cramped the space is.
Post 4 IP   flag post
101429 4 4