Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CookiesGDPRMatterport KerfuffleYikes

Matterport using cookies on every tour8906

Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
Hi

Is anyone in this group aware that embedding a space to a website, enables Matterport to add cookies to the users, with the purpose of advertising?

I Just saw this on a Matterport user group Facebook page and am interested in finding out if this is true.

Surely this is against GDPR regulations in Europe
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Wow!

If that's true, shame on Matterport.

Our Client looks at their Matterport Tour and gets pitched buying a Matterport Camera.

Yikes!

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
@3dshowcaseuk, MP are indeed using cookies and the follow thread proves this https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/8916/warning-are-you-aware-of-this I feel that MP are in violation of the EU GDPR policies. This needs to stop or at least give the viewer the option to op out as the sites do here in Europe.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GarySnyder

I opened a Matterport Support ticket with the following Matterport Cookies questions...

Dan

----

Hello Matterport Support,

About Matterport Showcase cookies:

1. What kind of cookies is Matterport using with Matterport Showcase?
2. How does Matterport use these cookies?
3. Specifically, does Matterport use these cookies to advertiser Matterport Camera sales to these cookies?

I will post your reply here:

WARNING Are you aware of this?

and here ...

Matterport using cookies on every tour

Thanks,

Dan Smigrod
Founder
We Get Around Network Forum
Post 4 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod, Thanks
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GarySnyder

I have not heard back from Matterport Support in the last 24 hours.

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GarySnyder

I received this reply from Matterport Support at 12:30 pm ET today (20 March 2019).

Dan

---

Screen Grab from my email.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks @DanSmigrod
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@GarySnyder

I received this reply from Matterport Support 10:53 pm PDT Wednesday, 20 March 2019....

Dan

---

Post 9 IP   flag post
Belfast, United Kingdom
3dshowcaseuk private msg quote post Address this user
I am satisfied by the above response that Matterport do not use cookies to target viewers of our tours.

Thanks Dan for contacting Matterport on our behalf. The questions you asked were well placed to get the answers we needed.

Thanks

3DShowcaseUK
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thanks @DanSmigrod, GDPR clearly states that any website operating within the EU need to notify all users that any form of cookies are being attached to the device the viewer is viewing the content. This is why you clearly see a popup notice on most websites that states if you wish to proceed cookies will be added to your device.

Most website now go even further and allow you to opp out of non essential cookies but all notify you that cookies are being set. Matterport is in violation of the ICO rulings and can be subject to substantial fine.

In regards to use of these cookies, knowing MP I feel that it's a pretty safe bet that in any viewers course of viewing websites the unexpected viewer will see a popup ad for MP. Many of you have seen these banners and cookies are how they're triggered.

You all have to realize that MP is a profit machine and whatever course MP needs to take they will vigorously purser this path for profit. Any of you out there think they wont need to just look at their past history. Perhaps @DanSmigrod can provide us with a historical outline of MP aggressive marketing tactics over the last 5 years that have stepped on MSP's.
Post 11 IP   flag post
101436 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?