Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Question of the Day

A long-time Matterport Service Provider Writes [How should I reply?]8809

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

How should I reply to this WGAN Question of the Day for Tuesday, 26 February 2019:

---

Need your opinion...need a cheaper and faster alternative to MP. I know you have arrangements with many vendors but mote important to me you know about all the alternatives...given Zillow has embraced 3d (sorta) should I just get the Theta?? Do you have any deals with the Theta in relationship to your subscription?

[Redacted]

---

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Joelbcollins private msg quote post Address this user
I'd second Zillow's up-coming/already out 3D with a Theta. Nowhere near MP UE, but it's similar, and free.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
I'm 2/3 through my project to shoot one single multi-million luxury home with MP, GeoCV, Nodalview and Zillow 3D Home. Zillow and Nodalview are both solid contenders for "gotta shoot it fast, low budget" walkthroughs. Zillow's advantage is that once Z activates the city where the property is located, the listing will get a search bump on that site. Nodalview produces far better quality panos - it has astoundingly good HDR which Zillow has none (at least currently). Nodalview also has much more pleasing color balance, warmer, more inviting. I also like that Nodalview shoots with you iPhone, no special camera, though in trade you need their special Rotator, wide lens and lens-mounting phone case to fit your particular phone. Probably works out to similare cost to Theta V camera though I don't actually know the cost. Another think I like about Nodalview is that since it's a motorized Rotator, you can stand behind it all the time. Zillow is still struggling a bit with limited WiFi range and I find that stepping away (to hide) with my iPhone or iPad can drop the connection in only 10 feet or so. This makes shooting outside in a yard really tough! And boh of these walkthroughs have the advantage of shooting both inside and out so you can show off yard, patio, pool. My vote: Nodalview.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Joelbcollins
@Home3D

Thank you for your input. I plan to circle back to the WGAN Member about "cheaper and faster alternative" ...

When making recommendations, I always like to know ...

➡️ "What problem are we trying to solve?"

Rather than features such as ...

➡️ "need a cheaper and faster alternative to MP"

Let me see if I can find out the answer to the "What problem are we trying to solve?" question before I post again.

Best,

Dan

P.S. @Home3D Super-excited about ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Home3D
I'm 2/3 through my project to shoot one single multi-million luxury home with MP, GeoCV, Nodalview and Zillow 3D Home.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

In reply to my question ...

➡️ "What problem are we trying to solve?"

I received this additional info:

"....seems as if we are being forced to buy the Theta given Zillow is rolling out their Zillow 3D. I already have clients asking for me to do it...so I guess I feel I have to. I was already looking for a cheaper and quicker alternative but with Zillow embracing the theta...seems like that's the winner."

This reply changed some of my initial thoughts. It's amazing how defining the problem makes it easier to answer "recommendation" questions.

--

Hi [Redacted],

One-half the answer is that you need to offer Zillow 3D Home™ virtual tours (assuming that they are available in your market now). [Note: While Zillow's brand name is: Zillow 3D Home™ virtual tours, in this use case, 3D Home is misleading because it is really a 360º virtual tour.]

The good news is that Zillow enables you to shoot once and post the virtual tour multiple places via iFrame. (Super-smart decision by Zillow. Hopefully, they do not change that strategy.)

The other half of the question is which camera? As of today (Wednesday, 27 February 2019), the short answer is: Ricoh Theta V + iPhone.

The longer answer is that I could imagine two things:

1. Zillow will immediately support the RICOH Theta Z1 announced this week and shipping 11 April 2019 from Amazon
2. Zillow will likely support all popular 360º 1-click camera solutions

So, [redacted], if you need to offer Zillow virtual tours today, then buy the Ricoh Theta V (thanks for using our Amazon affiliate link), and likely buy the Ricoh Theta Z1 in April (and use the Ricoh Theta V as a back up.) [360º 1-Click Cameras | 360º 1-Click Camera Accessories]

Does that help? BTW, thank you for being a long-time WGAN Basic Member.

Best,

Dan

P.S. If you get the Ricoh Theta V, you can use it with Matterport Capture 3.0 Beta. If you get the Ricoh Theta Z1, it is likely that you will be able to use it with matterport Capture 3.0 Beta.

WGAN Forum Related Discussions

Ricoh Announced $1,000 Ricoh Theta Z1 to Ship March 2019
How to Get Early Access to the Ricoh Theta Z1
✓ WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Zillow 3D Home
✓ WGAN Forum discussions tagged: Ricoh Theta Z1
✓ WGAN Forum Discussions tagged: WGAN 360 Camera Loaner Program (More Info)
Post 5 IP   flag post
101641 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?