Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceCamerasCapture AppGearReal Estate

Distortion?880

GusArb private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everyone, i just have a quick question, why do i see more distortion on some scans than others? is there an specific amount of shots that the camera takes on each scan or is that number a value that the user sets? if that's the case then the answer might me the scans with less shots are the ones showing more distortion.

thank you for your time.
Post 1 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Gus

It's difficult to answer your question without posting some of your SC's as an example so we can review them and provide and answer to your questions.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Amaury private msg quote post Address this user
@GarySnyder, Gus might be referring to the "Fish Eye/Panorama" feel on the screen edges while rotating a view, you usually get tons of those in Google's Business View and any other 360° panoramas. Matterport´s camera on the other hand, feels way better, lot less distortion and overall better looking. Although in some user shots the experience seems to be closer to Google's.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
If your are referring to what I think you are then I find that most distortion happens on dark objects or bathroom mirrors.

[Note disjointed chair and also blurred edge of left side of table]

Of course... with this particular example the house didn't have blinds and so more light that typical was coming in.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@Queen_City_3D When objects are close to the camera, I position the camera to get that in the "sweet" spot of one of the 6 60º stops so that we are not stitching that close spot between two of the 60º stops.

@GarySnyder it's likely that you can explain my technique better than I have. Do you want to take a shot at it?

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod Thanks for the tip.

How do you gauge where that sweet spot is? Start it aiming just off to the left of the close-up object?
Post 6 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks Dan

@Queen_City_3D what Dan is referring to is the centre line of the camera during one of its rotation stops. Just look where the camera is pointing and you can easily get a feeling where the center line of the camera will fall and move the camera accordingly so the next stop to the right falls on the center the item you’re trying to capture. It’s also better if you can avoid it not to be so close to certain objects. Think of it this way if you shoot a leg of a table and it's captures just in the far right of the shot and then the next rotation of the camera shoots the leg in the far left chances are you will get a distorted line.

We have seen this many times when we shoot a location that has railings. They always look distorted as the stitching cannot assemble the vertical lines correctly. This is something that MP has worked on to correct but to no fault of MP it is very difficult to get a pure straight line in this circumstance.

What we all have to remember as content creators of virtual tours is that we are offering the best and most true to life VT’s on the market but all technology has its limitations and what we see may not even be notices by the customers we are shooting the VT’s for. If they do complain then simply tell them it is a limitation of the current technology and in time will get better like any technical solution.

I hope this is helpful
Gary
Post 7 IP   flag post
101429 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?