Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
.DWG.SKPHOVERNews

Forbes: 3D-Model Of Your House (Exterior) With Your Phone with HOVER8704

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Screen Grab from interactive HOVER Demo

Hi All,

Forbes (12 February 2019) A Real Fixer-Apper: This Startup Builds A Precise 3-D-Model Of Your House With Your Phone

Our space is heating up. HOVER has raised $62 million - Matterport has raised $66 million - for something looks like Matterport, Cupix and GeoCV mashed up with RoOomy - for the outside of homes.

HOVER Demo
HOVER Pricing

I wonder how some enterprising developers might mashup HOVER with Matterport, Cupix or GeoCV (and RoOomy).

Your thoughts?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
TrustedPhotoDC private msg quote post Address this user
Isn’t this what Home Depot is using?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Matt19 private msg quote post Address this user
@TrustedPhotoDC I did get an email from Home Depot regarding this.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
Looks kinda cool. I could see how it would be useful to get measurements for siding/shingles/etc. I just downloaded the app and am trying it out on my place. Interested to see what accuracy it gives you from just a few snapshots.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Queen_City_3D

Please share your experience using HOVER. Images would be a plus.

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm incredibly impressed.

The app guides you through the process of taking 8 snapshots of your house.

It took about 8 hours for a 3D model to be generated from those snapshots.

The model does look like an accurate representation of my house.

You can rotate and view the resulting model from any angle, and I found that it even got the construction materials right (note that my house is undergoing renovations and there is a construction wrap on rear of home).

And then you are able to manipulate the construction materials... For example, I changed the brick buildouts to stucco and the siding to a "tudor-style" exterior:

This was all done at no cost to me.

Not sure if its just the first one that's free.

It's got a "wow" factor.

This is undoubtedly meant as a contractor tool, but I can imagine a real estate agent who is competing on a listing using this to set him/herself apart by having images of a 3D model of the house used in their listing presentation to win the business.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Further to the above... I think it is just the first one that would be free.

It appears they charge you based on the "roof complexity" (i.e., number of roof facets).

Based on the pricing of the site it looks like my house with 8 roof facets would typically cost $50 USD:

There's also additional monthly fees for the professional and premium accounts:

Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Queen_City_3D

Very exciting.

Thank you for sharing the screen captures and pricing. Most helpful.

Any learning curve to shoot? Or, easy-peasy?

As you think of ways that you might use this to make money, please share.

Best,

Dan
Post 8 IP   flag post
The app asks you to take a series of photos:

Front shot, Front side right, right side, Rear right side, Rear, Rear left side, Left Side, Front left side.

I ran into difficulty because I didn't have enough room between my house and a neighbor's to fit the whole side view in the photo.

I submitted the photo anyhow and the app asked "is this the best photo you're able to provide?" (or something to that effect) and I selected "YES" and it ended up turning out just fine.

I'm curious if the model generation is entirely automated on their end or if there's some human tweaking involved.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Queen_City_3D

Cool! I will give it a shot. I'm likely to have similar challenges. Our homes are close together and the back of the house is on a steep slope.

I'l share the results here too.

Best,

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Queen_City_3D

A few things ....

1. I just shot our home
2. In the middle of the project, I added a fish-eye lens to my iPhone. That helped on some shots. Not sure how mixing normal/wide-angle view works, but I think I should be okay.
3. Had the same challenge with the homes so close together.
4. Since our backyard is on a steep slope, our deck blocks the view of our windows, so ..
5. Since the app allows for additional photos, I took vertical shots hoping that there is some common points stitching going on (or a person at the other end that will manually assist)
6. I also shot extra shots of the side of the house that was not in the side view; despite the wide-angle lens.

I could imagine that a satellite image is used to help construct the 3D Model.

Now, time for waiting for the model to process.

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hey All,

If you are going to try this, could you do screen captures at every step and post these to this discussion?

Best,

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Are you a general contractor - or do you have friends that are? Please share this discussion with them and ask them to try the HOVER app and post to this discussion about how this may/will be helpful to them.

Best,

Dan
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

A general contractor emailed me:

"This is a good start. There are so many changes taking place in the industry right now, with Hover being one of them. We are a [Insurance Company] referred contractor and they have been playing with it with mixed results."

"We have followed behind [Insurance Company] on some claims where they prepared an estimate with Hover for the exterior and another for the interior. [The Insurance Company] is asking homeowners now (on simple claims) to download a phone app and have the owner walk around the house showing the damage to the claim rep remotely."

"They use the data to produce an estimate and get a claim started and generate a check that can go out in the mail. The estimates are starting to be an embarrassment to them though as once the owner gets independent quotes the initial quote is off by sometimes 100 or 200 or even 300%."

"They have proven to be very inaccurate at this point. It will improve with technology AND USER TRAINING, but it has a way to go. The first claim they wrote was [redacted] and all the dimensions were very rounded . . . . siding 500 square feet, roof shingles 800 square feet, painting 1000 square feet. By the time I double checked it by hand and cleaned up the numbers it was like a different estimate."

"I do applaud them for trying new things, and someday it will be much better."

[Name and Company Redacted]

--

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

I took a Hover 3D Model of this house. Here are the source photos.

I shot the house around 6 pm on a Friday and receive a notification that the Hover was 3D Tour was ready 10 am the next day.

Like @Queen_City_3D .. the house on either side are close. Hard to get the entire side of the house in one photo. So, I did two things:

1. used an 18 mm wide angle lens on my iPhone
2. Shot extra 2D photos assuming that "someone" was on the other end stitching images together

My impression is that there are people behind the curtain stitching the photos and interpreting the imagery to create the 3D Tour.

The first Hover 3D Model is free.

Best,

Dan

P.S. If you try this, please capture screen grabs every step of the way and post to this discussion.
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Hi All,

For those that do 3D modeling, it might be worth noting that on a paid Hover account, you can export the model as either:

.skp
.dwg
.dxf

Perhaps a WGAN Forum Member that works with these file formats will play with this app and post here.

Best,

Dan
Post 16 IP   flag post
I don't know if the hover.to links are shareable. I don't see your model load when I try the URL you supplied, but I can see mine ( https://hover.to/ui/#/hvr/viewer/1049234 )just fine. Can you access mine?
Post 17 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

A tech is outside our home manually measuring to determine the roof area. Wish I had order one of our home with measurements

Dan
Post 18 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

25 Million To Digitize Home Renovation Planning

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2019/04/25/visualization-startup-hover-just-raised-another-25-million-to-digitize-home-renovation-planning/
Post 19 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

Are you using the Hover app in your workflow?

Please share an example.

Best,

Dan
Post 20 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Screen Grab from interactive HOVER Demo

@ron0987

Here’s a house I tried with the Hover app

I did this so long ago, I do not recall if adding a wide angle lens mid-shoot affected anything.

My impression is that real people use satellite imagery to finish the model.

Have you/will you try and share your results?

Dan
Post 21 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

HOVER Secures a $60M Customer-Led Round: Build the Future of Property Data

Dan
Post 22 IP   flag post
101428 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?