Connecting 3D/360° Buyers to Service Providers Powered by
the Most In-Depth, Relevant and Up-to-Date Content for the 3D/360° Community
Join FREE! 50+ Benefits
Should I buy a Camera? Quiz How Much to Start 3D Tour Business? Calculate How Much Can I Make as a Pro? Calculate Win More Listings? Calculate
Option #1
Find a 3D Tour Photographer Map
We Get Around Network Find a Pro Service
Matterport Service Provider? Join We Get Around Network
Option #2
Book a Matterport Pro in 60 Seconds
We Get Around Network Instant Booking Service
Powered byKoaWare
Matterport Service Provider (USA)? Join KoaWare Free! Register Now
Last 30 Days: 64,126 Page Views | 12,989 Visitors | 120 New Members
WGAN Knowledge Base | Total Posts: 54,666  |  Total Topics: 8,169
4,594 WGAN Members in 121 Countries
We Get Around Network Forum
WGAN Training Academy (Learn more)
WGAN-TV Channel
Matterport versus GeoCV with GeoCV CEO
and Co-Founder Anton Yakubenko, PhD
WGAN-TV: Coming Up
Live at 5
5 to 6 pm EST (GMT -5)
February TBD, 2019
Ask Your Questions Live WGAN-TV Program Schedule | Need Help? | All Videos
360CaptureFirmwareInsta360 One XTips

Insta360 One X Owners/Users - Tips, Tricks, Issues?8696

RichardStanton private msg quote post Address this user
Greetings all, I have just recently added the One X to my arsenal, and while I plan to do some testing with it over the next few days with Capture 3 Beta, stand-alone, and hopefully multi-mode (w/Matterport also deployed) if the Beta gods are smiling on me. I created this thread in the spirit of community sharing with the hope that we can not only collectively work to minimize risk and avoid pitfalls, but also share any best practices that we implement along the way.

Given that I created the thread, I shall lead it off with a tip, potential pitfall, and a question, all in one!

Instance360 OneX and Capture 3.0 Beta - I was getting everything lined up on my devices to start some field testing, wrapped up the configuring of the 360, firmware updates, all of the normal pre-use task. I then went to catch up on the MP Beta and realized there are synchronization issues afoot.

1. the tip - Firmware updates, especially the latest have been known to cause devices to crash into a state of not being able to power down. I suggest when you DO the updates, make sure you have adequate battery etc. before you start, and take to heart the other suggestions they make for the process. While you can unbrick the device, it involves getting live support from them, so you could get stuck for a bit between support windows.
2. Potential pitfall - After moving on from the device, I turned to getting my Capture 3 beta updated and current with the OneX support. After looking closer, I noticed that the firmware which is linked via a dropbox in the documentation is OLDER than the latest firmware offered by the company. It WILL downgrade your firmware if you apply it blindly, and I have no idea what the means from a stability perspective on their platform. Hopefully #3 to come here might help in this area but I figured people should know (maybe already does and I'm the last one to figure it out, but hey, must try anyway)
3. The question: Does anyone know if the latest firmware (1.17.16) contains the MP Beta code? It's not clear to me if the 1.15.25 from the DropBox is a fork in the code and on it's own branch (as such needed), or if the beta code has since been merged into their production release cycle and 1.17 will have us covered?

Hopefully somebody has heard regarding #3 and can put my brain at ease, but if not I will be finding it out empirically through my testing soon and will post my findings!

Cheers all, and I look forward to putting this tech through the wringer with some of you!

Richard
Post 1 IP   flag post
ahojman private msg quote post Address this user
I will start testing Insta 360 One X in one month, specially to know if we can mix Insta and Matterport photos at the same project, using Insta for outdoor and edited places, for example gym full of mirrors.

Sorry that I cannot help now.
Post 2 IP   flag post
It's never too late to join the party! I have a long history in Knowledge Management and as such it's etched into my DNA to share (especially given how much tacit knowledge lurks in this area already!) I will be sure to post any substantive findings from my trials, so make sure to check back once you get your device!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Some initial observations - in my test runs so far I have noticed small to mid level issues with the calibration on the Insta360 stitching. I will acknowledge that I am a particularly pixel sensitive person, but after looking at 3 different units there seems to be a consistent level of artifact abrasion at the base of the seams for all of them. Has anyone else noticed this behavior? I ran a small calibration test using a rough grid mapping and the results seem significant on the positive side for alignment. I plan to formalize my calibration process a bit more to tighten it up as much as possible before embarking on testing if there is any demonstrable impact on stabilization as a result. Has anyone else seen any similar issues with the stitching? If so please share your experience as well!

Richard
Post 4 IP   flag post
55323 4 4
destitute