Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 732 Unique Visitors
9,055 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,766 Page Views | 19,092 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Capture 3 BetaCortex

Cortex questions8595

virtuallyreal private msg quote post Address this user
Hi there,

I have a few questions around the exciting Cortex announcement and wondering if anyone can help! Apologies if i'm missing these answers elsewhere!

- So do I understand correctly that Cortex extrapolates 3D data from 'flat' 360 images?
- This can presumably be done with existing scans (provided you have the data still on the iPad)?
- What's the 'range' of the extrapolation? If there was a large room to scan, would a similar number of 360 photos at similar spacing be required to build a 3D view of the space?
- How will it play if a space is scanned with people in it? Is it smart enough to see a person in scan #1, but they are not in scan #2 a few metres away and remove them from the 3D view? Or, will the 3D scan be full of artefacts?

Thanks all!

John
Post 1 IP   flag post
Sarnia, Canada
June private msg quote post Address this user
I have another question. Floor plans???
Post 2 IP   flag post
Hilton Head Island, SC
THRHHI private msg quote post Address this user
In the tests i have done so far with the Theta V the floorplans tend to be very skewed. Makes sense since there is no data. The walkthrough is fine but it has trouble squaring up walls as you get farther in the house. Just did a 2200sqft home once with matterport and once with Theta V.Theta V images are not as good as the Matterport although i may have to tweak the settings on the Theta(exposure etc.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@June

Matterport will not offer floor plans from 3D Tours created with Insta360 One X or Ricoh Theta V, according to a Matterport rep in the Matterport booth at ICNY19.

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
Sarnia, Canada
I figured that but wanted to confirm.....Thanks Dan!
Post 5 IP   flag post
virtuallyreal private msg quote post Address this user
Another one...

I've noticed here

https://support.matterport.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016184514-FAQ-for-Capture-App-on-iPhone-Public-Beta

That support for Insta360 One X is not yet supported.. but @DanSmrigod I think I read in another post that's the camera you recommend?
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @THRHHI
In the tests i have done so far with the Theta V the floorplans tend to be very skewed. Makes sense since there is no data. The walkthrough is fine but it has trouble squaring up walls as you get farther in the house. Just did a 2200sqft home once with matterport and once with Theta V.Theta V images are not as good as the Matterport although i may have to tweak the settings on the Theta(exposure etc.

Happy birthday! (And, nice visiting with your better half at ICNY19

I am confused. A rep in the Matterport booth at ICNY19 told me that you can not order floor plans from Matterport tours created with a Ricoh Theta V. Can you clarify?

Perhaps you are referencing floor plan view?

Best,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Hilton Head Island, SC
Thanks and yes she is the better half. I was referring to the floorplan view. In the attached image it actually was pretty good until i got into the Master bath. At that point it started putting the images in the front bedroom. This was also the last area to scan. In the walkthrough it does show the scan point of the front bedroom in the master bathroom. You can walk through the wall. With MP data points you can jump all over and it will still come out right. I am wondering if it would be better to just scan left to right, front to back to keep things square.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Sarnia, Canada
@THRHHI Was there by any chance a large wall area that had a lot of mirror? I had that happen with Matterport and and support put the scans in the correct room. I was told it was because of the large mirrored wall.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Hilton Head Island, SC
June,there were no mirrors. This scan was done completely with the Theta V. I just think that without the data points it is easy for the layout to get skewed. When you look at the individual rooms there pretty good. It appears that when you then go through a doorway that things go a little crooked. Was just the first test. I will keep playing with it. Next on the list is to do a mix with MP and Theta.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuallyreal

- So do I understand correctly that Cortex extrapolates 3D data from 'flat' 360 images?

Yes.

Quote:

- This can presumably be done with existing scans (provided you have the data still on the iPad)?

Yes, 360 Views. Add them as 360 Placements, deselect after placing, select again, click 'Convert to 3D (Experimental).

Quote:

- What's the 'range' of the extrapolation? If there was a large room to scan, would a similar number of 360 photos at similar spacing be required to build a 3D view of the space?

I'd love to know the answer too. I have not seen any estimates posted by Matterport or anyone testing.

Quote:

- How will it play if a space is scanned with people in it? Is it smart enough to see a person in scan #1, but they are not in scan #2 a few metres away and remove them from the 3D view? Or, will the 3D scan be full of artefacts?

Again, great question. I have seen a scan where someone towered over their Theta, hand holding it and placing it within a small model village. It aligned although it was rather odd and didn't feel like it properly aligned.

--

As Dan said, no floorplans. Results from Theta/Insta are 4-6% accuracy.

One thing not mentioned here -- these small 360 cams will give you about 60 minutes of use before the battery dies.

It truly is an entry level system -- not something that anyone should worry about, but definitely a new tool to find uses for within your existing businesses.
Post 11 IP   flag post
101743 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?