Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 40 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Capture 3 BETACortexICNY19

Matterport Cortex Technology adds new Tools for Pro-28587

Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
This is an example of an as-built space scanned with a Pro-2:

This is an example of the same space with additional scans made possible by Cortex technology. See how all gaps in the mesh are filled in that were before eaten away due to direct sunlight?

With Cortex and Capture 3, you can convert Matterport Pro-2 360 Views to 3D Scans. This 'less sexy' and 'too complicated for a press release' feature is an INSANELY awesome tool that all MSPs will benefit from having in their back pocket.

https://try.matterport.com/capture3-beta-signup/

How to convert 360 View into 3D Scans.

1) Shoot a 360 View.
2) Place it using 360 Placements (anywhere)
3) Deselect the placed panorama on the map.
4) Select it again.
5) Tap 'Convert to 3D (Experimental)

Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
@Metroplex360

That is truly amazing and a real potential game changer. Thanks for pointing it out! Can't wait to try it - I have attempted to sign up for the beta on multiple occasions, to no avail. What's an MSP gotta do to get a beta????

Keith
Post 2 IP   flag post
Sarnia, Canada
June private msg quote post Address this user
So this is not available for Matterport Pro 1 models?
Post 3 IP   flag post
lauks private msg quote post Address this user
this is probably the greatest improvement since a long time. I just wonder if this is a nice side effect or a feature. If it is a feature I wonder why Cortex could not see that 3D data is weak and automatically takes the picture (scan) also for photogrammetry. when you do a "separate" 360° its just a "scan" without 3D data...
How do you know when to add "converted 360's"? When you see problems on the Mini-map? (the app could see that too :-)))

Luc
Post 4 IP   flag post
annevanzwol private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
you can convert Matterport Pro-2 360 Views to 3D Scans

Thank you for posting. Very helpful. Eager to test myself.

Do I understand you correct that CORTEX only works on 360 views and not on scans?

Have you tried outdoor scanning?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by June
So this is not available for Matterport Pro 1 models?

It's available on Pro-1 models as well!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by annevanzwol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroplex360
you can convert Matterport Pro-2 360 Views to 3D Scans

Thank you for posting. Very helpful. Eager to test myself.

Do I understand you correct that CORTEX only works on 360 views and not on scans?

Have you tried outdoor scanning?

This is correct, but I have reached out to engineering to ask if this could be extended to 3D scans as well. There are many that I've shot that I would like to duplicate and re-align so as to fill in water areas.

Right now, Cortex does not handle outside spaces well. To put it in simple terms, it does not fully understand what a sky is. I'm sure that this will be improved over time, but the focus is on interior spaces first.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauks
this is probably the greatest improvement since a long time. I just wonder if this is a nice side effect or a feature. If it is a feature I wonder why Cortex could not see that 3D data is weak and automatically takes the picture (scan) also for photogrammetry. when you do a "separate" 360° its just a "scan" without 3D data...
How do you know when to add "converted 360's"? When you see problems on the Mini-map? (the app could see that too :-)))

Luc

Funny thing. From my datamining of data on the iPad, 360 Views seem to contain all of the 3D data that is possible for the camera to capture -- it's just not used. Not sure if that is useful in any manner.

And yes, in the example above, I could see gaps in my preview while using Capture. I took the 360 Views and converted them on site to fill them in.
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
Am I the only one totally confused on how to use the Cortex Technology with Matterport?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Hilton Head Island, SC
THRHHI private msg quote post Address this user
Still experimenting with the Theta V and Cortex. Like Chris, I would like to go back to old scans and see if it can fill in problem areas. Curious to see if it would fill in 30' ceilings. Obviously would be easier to put a Theta V 25' up in the air instead of the Matterport or a BLK.
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @THRHHI
Still experimenting with the Theta V and Cortex. Like Chris, I would like to go back to old scans and see if it can fill in problem areas. Curious to see if it would fill in 30' ceilings. Obviously would be easier to put a Theta V 25' up in the air instead of the Matterport or a BLK.

Cool use case. I have a 30' carbon pole that would work great for that. In previous WGAN Forum posts, I recall some Pros using a painter's pole from The Home Depot.

Best,

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
ahojman private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting!
Trying to learn how to use it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
ahojman private msg quote post Address this user
May I convert a 3D view to 360 and then apply this?
Post 13 IP   flag post
101421 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?