Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Crime SceneLaw EnforcementPolice

Matterport Scanning Meets Crime Scene Documentation8438

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

A WGAN Member emailed me this morning (28 December 2018):

"Hi Dan, Do you think Matterport will Ever allow police Dept to use our cameras like Faro and NOT be public or on their servers."

Dan,

My reply:

Hi [redacted],

Thank you for reaching out. I had the same question for Matterport when I visited with a local police department (at their request). While the local police had a Faro system, it was so expensive (including a week of training), that they could only purchase one. They felt like Matterport would enable them to do all crime scene documentation.

When I reached out to Matterport, they told me that even private models could be viewed by their customer service reps, so that ended the conversation with the local police department.

Matterport is inherently a public platform with cloud hosting. Police departments need confidential, offline documentation where no one other than law enforcement can view the model, measurements, etc.

Will Matterport ever change this? Not in our lifetimes.

Happy New Year,

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like the self-hosted Cupix option would be a better one for data security / privacy?
Post 2 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@Chemistrydoc, Cupix will still have an issue because the processing is in the cloud. If Cupix could meet the new standards being set by the Government for cloud processing and storage it would be a great source. If I was looking for a new system I would look at the BLK360 less expensive than FARO but great for scene documentation. Or use photogrammetry another great tool. it is not just the hosting but the processing which become an issue for law enforcement.
Post 3 IP   flag post
101432 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?