Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
360 CamerasAnalysisCommentaryICNY19Matterport Cloud 3.0Open Spherical Camera API SpecificationsRJ Pittman

Matterport + All 360º Cameras = Exponential Growth (for all of us)8352

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Video: Best 360 camera for virtual tours and real estate (December 2018) Part 1: consumer 360 cameras | Video courtesy of 360Rumors.com (Mic Ty) YouTube Channel

Matterport + All 360º Cameras = Exponential Growth (for all of us)

Hi All,

If Matterport wants to grow exponentially, it’s obvious that Matterport needs to stop thinking about building next generation Matterport Cameras and focus on seamless integration with all 360º cameras.

While it may seem like Matterport + under $500 360º cameras signals the end of professional Matterport Service Providers around the globe, this bold step by Matterport would actually result in more work than we all have ever imagined (really). More on that in a moment. I promise that this is a good thing for MSPs.

I could imagine newly appointed Matterport CEO RJ Pittman will conclude that Matterport needs to obsess-obsess-obsess with selling razor blades (Matterport processing and hosting) not razors (conceiving, designing, prototyping, testing, building, selling and distributing cameras).

Before looking forward, we need to look back at the 2017 Google Street View Summit in Tokyo. That’s when Google – and its partners – announced nearly 18 camera integrations with Google Street View using the Open Spherical Camera API Specifications proposed by Google earlier that year.

That’s a seminal moment in the history of our space. I correctly predicted that Matterport would announce at the Tokyo Summit that it would support publish to Google Street View – without the Matterport logo and dollhouse view – and officially launched Matterport to Google Street View publishing a year later.

If Google is going to map the world of indoor and outdoor spaces at an exponential rate as it discussed at the 2018 Google Street View Summit in San Francisco, it recognized that it needed to partner with every 360º/3D camera that met a minimum standard of image quality.

If Matterport is going to map the world of indoor spaces at an exponential rate, Matterport needs to partner with every 3D/360º camera that meets a minimum standard of image quality. And, that image quality Standard is likely to include Ricoh Theta V, Insta360 X, Mi Sphere (and more).

Google has a brilliant strategy. Matterport needs to emulate it.

We already have seen Matterport Partner with Leica Geosystems BLK360. Perhaps I was too soon predicting eight months ago that NCTech would partner with Matterport for seamless integration with NCTech LASiris VR. I could still imagine that happening along with the NCTech iSTAR Pulsar.

While partnering with depth-data capturing cameras and LiDAR scanners make a ton of sense in the AEC vertical – especially if Hexagon is a potential suitor to buy Matterport – high-end scanners do not address the much larger potential base of tours.

If the space for 3D tours are like restaurants, Matterport would be a Michelin 3-star restaurant. That’s a nice restaurant: though not so good for VCs that have invested $70 million in a “restaurant” expecting it to be at least a $700 million restaurant franchise by now.

Matterport’s VCs want to be the McDonalds in the space feeding more than 69 million people daily. That’s a big vision that requires exponential growth: not linear growth. That's partnering: not building company owned restaurants.

While it’s great that Matterport 3D Tours are in seven percent of all residential real estate listings, unfortunately, it’s still missing the other 93 percent.

To kickstart exponential growth, Matterport will - must - partner with every 360º camera now and in the future. And, fortunately, for Matterport today, the quality of 360º 1-click cameras is finally “good enough” to move forward and, thanks to Google Street View, all 360º cameras now include the critical OSC API that will make integration easy, fast and seamless.

But, what about dollhouse view?

Using photogrammetry – even Videogrammetry – instead of structured light, Matterport can still create 3D Tours that look like Matterport 3D Tours today. That said, so what if the dollhouse view goes away. Matterport accepted that when it allows us to publish to Google Street View.

By enabling all Camera 360º/3D/LiDAR cameras to seamlessly integrate with Matterport, that’s one important strategic decision for the new CEO to lead the way. And, oh-by-the-way, Matterport needs to halt all new Matterport Camera development. Creating and selling Matterport Pro 3D Cameras was completely necessary to get Matterport to where it is today. When Matterport started, it had to build a camera, app to run the camera, processing, hosting and a content distribution network.

No more ...

Today, building next generation Matterport cameras is a distraction and competes with the camera companies Matterport should be partnering with. And, at some point, Matterport should be out of the labor intensive camera designing, developing, manufacturing and selling and shipping camera business. That was the industrial revolution. Today, we’re about the Cloud revolution.

Camera Company Partnerships

With a vision for laser-sharp focus on partnering - not competing - with 3D/360º/LiDAR – camera/scanner companies, it will be easier and faster to strike deals and the Matterport tech team will be freed up to do camera integration with camera company partners.

Matterport makes money on processing, hosting and ancillary services. Again, selling cameras has been - but will no longer be necessary. What a freeing feeling for Matterport. Let camera companies design and sell cameras. Not Matterport. (Matterport needs to created demand for 3D Tours, but I will save that topic for another day.)

I promised to talk about why the above would be a good thing for Matterport Service Providers. So, what happens to Matterport Service Providers like us whom have paid thousands of dollars for a Matterport Camera and related gear and accessories?

As the price of tours drops because more people will be able to afford cameras and create tours faster with a 360º 1-click camera - the democratization of 3D Tours - the more that Matterport 3D Tours permeate all kinds of spaces where visual storytelling is important for decisions about going, buying, leasing, building, staying, attending, reserving, inspecting and booking.

Exponential growth in 3D Tours creation will exceed the supply of Matterport Service Providers to create them. For example, if a majority of residential listings include Matterport 3D Tours, every agent will feel compelled to include them or their competitors - that use Matterport 3D Tours - will win the listing.

Just this week (3 December 2018), a very senior executive from [redacted] reached out to me asking, “Are there enough Matterport Service Providers so that our company could order 20,000+ Matterport 3D Tours?” [The answer is yes. And, now imagine that their competitors see what’s happening and you get the idea.]

I could imagine purists among us saying that the quality of a 3D Tour created using an under $500 360º camera + photogrammetry will not look as good as a Matterport 3D Tour.

That may be true today, but two years from now, those under $500 1-click cameras will be as good as $3,500 1-click cameras today. And, if Matterport waits two more years to begin this 360º camera integration journey, we’ll be looking back two years using the Blockbuster versus Netflix analogy to answer the question, “what happened to Matterport?"

Matterport needs to focus on recurring revenue from processing, hosting and 3rd party integration for ancillary revenue: not conceiving, designing, prototyping, testing, building, selling and distributing cameras.

I am excited for all of us that the Matterport Board of Directors have brought in a heavy-hitter for exponential growth. Worried about change? This change - the pursuit of exponential growth - is great news for all of us. It's an exciting time to be a Matterport Service Provider. Hang in there. There is light at the end of the tunnel and it is not an on-coming train. It may be slow for you now, but I feel the wind in our sail coming for all. Demand will exceed supply of Matterport Service Providers and you will be ready.

What do you think? Will Matterport begin integration with under $500 360º cameras? Is that a good idea? How will this affect you?

Happy holidays,

Dan

WGAN Forum Related Discussions

Question of the Day: What does it mean that Matterport now has a new CEO?
Open Letter to the new CEO
Post 1 IP   flag post
Miguelea private msg quote post Address this user
Great article again Dan.

I have few addings to elaborate.

1. I like your michelin to mcdonald analogy. But there is one big BUT. McDonald became successful, not because everybody could do the burger (that would mean any 360 camera would do matterport showcase), but because they provided ideal system for investors (in our case MSPs) and provided THE SAME TASTE burger in any restaurant around the world (Matterport Pro Camera). I agree, that they should stop development of their own cameras, but I dont think that allowing any camera is good idea. They need to stay affordable and offer same service all around the world. Allowing numbers of different camera producers will probably end up in different feelings from showcases made with different cameras. That would mean different burgers in same restaurants. And that is not good.

2. I dont think that competing with google is the right way. I am daily explaining differences between matterport and GSV and its easy, because they are obvious. Its like explaining the difference between TESLA (matterport) and GM (google). Simply different segment, different feeling, different clients. Competing with google would be like developing new search engine.

3. What Matterport needs to do, is not open their platform for all cameras, but open their data sources, allowing us to do virtual homestaging (rooomy), implement video editing etc.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Miguelea
Great article again Dan.

I have few addings to elaborate.

1. I like your michelin to mcdonald analogy. But there is one big BUT. McDonald became successful, not because everybody could do the burger (that would mean any 360 camera would do matterport showcase), but because they provided ideal system for investors (in our case MSPs) and provided THE SAME TASTE burger in any restaurant around the world (Matterport Pro Camera). I agree, that they should stop development of their own cameras, but I dont think that allowing any camera is good idea. They need to stay affordable and offer same service all around the world. Allowing numbers of different camera producers will probably end up in different feelings from showcases made with different cameras. That would mean different burgers in same restaurants. And that is not good.

@Miguelea Thank you for your kind note and thoughtful response.

Would you change your mind if the viewing experience is identical whether it was created with a Matterport Camera or a 360º Camera?

While I am not a vision computing engineer, (I understand that) the Matterport viewing experience could be identical using either the process photogrammetry or videogrammetry

The points here are, to scale exponentially Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguelea
2. I dont think that competing with google is the right way. I am daily explaining differences between matterport and GSV and its easy, because they are obvious. Its like explaining the difference between TESLA (matterport) and GM (google). Simply different segment, different feeling, different clients. Competing with google would be like developing new search engine.
, Matterport needs to:

✓ be camera device agnostic
✓ include under $500 360º cameras (as well as higher end cameras)

Quote:

I apologize. We're in agreement here. I simply didn't communicate my thoughts clearly about Matterport and Google Street View.

My intent was to say that Matterport has already demonstrated that its tech could "play nice" with platforms that do not have the dollhouse experience (just in case using 360º cameras meant that the dollhouse view was not possible.) Again, I am not a vision computing engineer. That said, I believe creating the dollhouse would still be possible using 360º cameras + photogrammetry or videogrammetry.

About:

3. What Matterport needs to do, is not open their platform for all cameras, but open their data sources, allowing us to do virtual homestaging (rooomy), implement video editing etc.

Yes. Enabling 3rd party applications is yet another way Matterport needs to scale. The Apple iOS App Store is a testament to how 3rd parties can help create exponential growth.

To scale, Matterport needs to shift its mindset from doing everything in-house to partnering and enabling other companies to build solutions that add value to the Matterport ecosystem.

Happy holidays,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
BrokerBruce private msg quote post Address this user
Very interesting thread and probably right on. I like the Apple IOS app store analogy.
Bruce
Post 4 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
Would you change your mind if the viewing experience is identical whether it was created with a Matterport Camera or a 360º Camera?

While I am not a vision computing engineer, (I understand that) the Matterport viewing experience could be identical using either the process photogrammetry or videogrammetry

That might be possible, although I would prefer, if Matterport kept being a technology/experience leader. They are successful, because they made an Ironman from regular human being. For 5000USD, you can get equipment, that gives you an edge and makes you an avenger. I would much rather pay 10.000USD for 8+K camera (with real HDR photos - like DSLR quality , with thermocamera, with steel recognizer for built in electro (I am just brainstorming now ) etc. I like the feeling of uniqueness, that gives you matterport. If they come "down" to like regular service, I would really think, if there is reason to stay with matterport.

Quote:
I apologize. We're in agreement here. I simply didn't communicate my thoughts clearly about Matterport and Google Street View.

that is not an argument. It is really constructive discussion.

I think new CEO has to look at matterport as Apple, TESLA, or UBER of its segment. They should not try to compete with Google, but continue to create and maintain their own market. MP needs to keep MSPs being Iromen . I am much eager to buy BLK360, as I would be unbeatable in my territory, than to stay with MP, if any under500 camera is going to compete with me.

One Idea more.
I love matterport, because I can fill the gap in the industry. Its rocket technology for realtors, home owners and builders (they are willing to order my service) and at the same time, it is too small job for companies that use Profi LIDAR technology. I think here is a great opportunity. That is the reason, why I am going into BLK360...I am giving MP till new years eve to come up with 3rd gen camera .
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
I would much rather pay 10.000USD for 8 K camera (with real HDR photos - like DSLR quality , with thermocamera

While there is something to be said for raising the price of the Matterport Camera - so only busy Matterport Service Providers can afford a camera: not our clients or competitors - that's not a scaleable business model for Matterport.

Matterport must grow demand (by homesellers, for example) and eliminate the friction for buying a camera (upfront cost) to be in a SaaS software business: not a camera manufacturing business.

Yes. I can appreciate buying the BLK360 instead of the Matterport camera. Initially, you will be able to charge more for AEC projects. That said, you might want to start a new WGAN Forum discussions about the quality of the photography of the BLK360 versus the Matterport Pro2 before you make your buying decision.

I can not imagine that Matterport either announce a 3rd generation Matterport Pro camera or that they are working on one. Even if they were working on one, for reasons stated above, the new Matterport CEO will stop the strategy of designing, manufacturing and selling cameras. Matterport needs to embrace camera company partnerships; not compete with camera companies.

Happy holidays,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I have been thinking about incorporating external panos using the SDK -- almost as if they were 360 Views and displaying them under the UI and over the space.

I think that integration of 360 Videos would be interesting and showing an icon to play them when you are close to where they should be accessible.

Dan, do you think that the 360 Placements that we can do right now is a precursor to us being able to upload custom panos? We've been wanting to do this for a while (and even just being able to move panos around between our own tours).

Quote:
Perhaps I was too soon predicting eight months ago that NCTech would partner with Matterport for seamless integration with NCTech LASiris VR.

What's your current prediction for Lasirus VR? I think that it's just conceptual -- maybe the BLK360 is the LasirusVR?

Quote:
Yes. I can appreciate buying the BLK360 instead of the Matterport camera. Initially, you will be able to charge more for AEC projects. That said, you might want to start a new WGAN Forum discussions about the quality of the photography of the BLK360 versus the Matterport Pro2 before you make your buying decision.

As a note, the recent 1.20 firmware has massively improved the image quality of imagery captured by the BLK360. It's still not as sharp as the Pro-2 imagery, but it is now usable. Firmware v1.20 was pulled due to a few users having installation issues, but will be reposted as v1.21

The Pro-2's image quality is pretty fantastic when you look at all of the other pano cameras out there.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@DanSmigrod
Quote:

As far as I know, there have already been discussions on this forum, that blk360 makes sense with MP Pro2...beacause of quality of pictures. I see a potential in blk360 when using matterport for displaying lands and open properities.

Quote:
While there is something to be said for raising the price of the Matterport Camera - so only busy Matterport Service Providers can afford a camera: not our clients or competitors - that's not a scaleable business model for Matterport.

I understand what you mean. It just makes me sad imagine, that MP would allow pretty any camera (in near future any mobile) to work with matterport software. Soon it would be not matterport and the rest of the world, but istaging, CUPIX, panoskin, matterport. I hope that new CEO is not gonna risk that.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguelea
@DanSmigrod
Quote:

I understand what you mean. It just makes me sad imagine, that MP would allow pretty any camera (in near future any mobile) to work with matterport software. Soon it would be not matterport and the rest of the world, but istaging, CUPIX, panoskin, matterport. I hope that new CEO is not gonna risk that.

Take a look at all of the different platforms and what you can do with a Theta! Despite that, the quality of the depth data and image capture of the Pro-2 produces a better tour! At 134 Megapixels, delivering the clarity of the Pro-2 is something that no other platform and no other camera does like Matterport.

And like Dan said --

Quote:
Using photogrammetry – even Videogrammetry – instead of structured light, Matterport can still create 3D Tours that look like Matterport 3D Tours today. That said, so what if the dollhouse view goes away. Matterport accepted that when it allows us to publish to Google Street View.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

From Inman 12 December 2018:

"[Matterport VP of Sales and Business Development Mark] Tepper said that in 2017 his company’s models “were connected to roughly 4 percent of all homes for sale.” Matterport expects to finish 2018 about 2 percentage points higher, Tepper also said, with more growth expected in 2019.}

Source: Inman

I apologize for overstating the number.

Happy holidays,

Dan
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Screen Grabs: Inman .com Monday, 28 January 2019
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

"A rising tide raises all boats," said Matterport CEO RJ Pittman in an open "pop-up news" letter to the Matterport ecosystem today (Monday, 28 January 2019). That summarizes my post above.

"The future of Matterport is designed with our entire network of customers, partners, and MSPs in mind. The power of Cortex expands the addressable market tenfold for everyone. And as we accelerate our efforts to open up the Matterport Cloud platform to developers and partners, the possibilities are limitless."

"We’re excited for the future, and it starts today. Let’s do it together."

Source: Matterport

Best,

Dan
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Related WGAN Forum Discussions

✓ All WGAN Forum discussions tagged: ICNY19 (Inman Connect New York City 2019)
Matterport Unveils New Cloud Platform, Unlocking Ubiquitous Access To 3D
Matterport + All 360º Cameras = Exponential Growth (for all of us)
Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

I started the above discussion 10 months ago. That's months before Matterport announced deep integration with the Ricoh Theta V, Ricoh Theta Z1 and Insta360 One X (and likely many more integrations to follow).

Seems like a good time to revisit this discussion.

Best,

Dan
Post 14 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

This has always been MP's game plan. Those of you who started with MP will recall 5 years ago MP was showing a video of a chap shooting a room with an iPad that produced a MP model. We discussed this here https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/43/what-is-matterports-business-model/ 5 year ago and MP even has an early example of teaming up with Google in project Tango https://www.wegetaroundnetwork.com/topic/72/matterport-brings-3d-capture-to-mobile/ here.

You all have to understand MP needed content to develop their AI engine for their mobile capture solution which they just announced. Thanks to all of us who have invested in their technology (call us the early funders of MP as we did indeed kept MP afloat which made it an attractive investment opportunity)MP now has all the content them need to ensure anyone with a smartphone can now become an official MSP.

The question you all have to ask yourselves will your clients appreciate the expertise you bring to the table in regards to producing a VT or will they be solely driven by cost. Something tells me that 9 times out of 10 it will be the cost of the VT that will win the sale.

I look forward to your comments.
Post 15 IP   flag post
101435 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?