Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,050 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceNewbiesScanningVirtual Reality

Help with Scanning objects, plants, animals etc.8340

3dscanbird private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, I am new to the forum from the Atlanta area. I know most of you are scanning spaces.

I’m interested in scanning objects.

I have some experience scanning people and objects, and in 3D modeling, and would like to delve more into that and connect with people who are more skilled than I am in that area.

I see opportunities with some existing clients of mine in the film/tv/gaming space.

Which scanner would you use to scan objects, plants and animals?

Thanks.

Elizabeth
Post 1 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
I do not recommend any Matterport for stuff like that. I have been shooting for three years and frist thought like you did and it just is not what this camera is made for and don't forget you get charged for every upload and then hosting. Not great for experiments. I bought a Structure 3D camera and that works tons better and a lot more apps to use with a lot less $$$.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@3dscanbird

Welcome to the We Get Around Network Forum. And, nice to meet you this morning at Atlanta Tech Village.

I agree with @DouglasMeyers Matterport is a solution for scanning spaces: not objects.

@Mori

Would you have some recommendations for @3dscanbird

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
Huawei 3D Camera Phone
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-05/huawei-said-to-debut-3-d-camera-phone-powered-by-sony-sensors
Post 4 IP   flag post
3dscanbird private msg quote post Address this user
Do you think that structure scanner is a good choice to scan 2 plants, one vase, and multiple scans of an animal that is trained to stand still? Thanks so much for your feedback. I in the past borrowed the structure camera that goes on an iPad and had issues with many of my scans.
Post 5 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
I tried my dog and it's a little tough with long hairs but if they can sit really still and have shorter hair you have a chance. the vase and flowers are also OK but shinny surfaces don't do well or glass and the flowers should not be real detailed, so simple flowers are best.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Standard
Windsor, UK
leonvanzweel private msg quote post Address this user
@3dscanbird 3Dscanexpert is a good place to get reviews of all the scanners of note to start off with. You can also join several facebook groups like 3D Scanning Users Group
or 3D Scanning Junkies

Bear in mind that of the objects that you have mentioned has its own challenges. A few things to bear in mind before selecting a scanner or process: What are the use case and the required output?
What is the size of the object?
What are the output resolution and dimensional accuracy required?
Will the object move (human, live animal, plant) or is it inflexible (vase etc)?
Do you require cylindrical, hemispherical or full spherical output?
Is the object smooth, shiny or reflective?

This will determine whether you use a photogrammetry approach or a handheld/fixed scanner approach.

Flexible objects (humans, animal & flexible plants) require a syncronised multi camera system.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
I had mixed results with the Structure Sensor, although it worked for capturing a person standing in decent resolution. The next best affordable thing that comes to mind is photogrammetry.
You may also check https://www.aniwaa.com/best-3d-scanning-apps-smartphones/
Post 8 IP   flag post
101628 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?