Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
.ObjAdviceFloor PlansObject FileSketchUpSKP

HW reqs to run SketchUp with large MP objs8310

Blue-Sketch
Founder
New Orleans, LA
PetraSoderling private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,

we're running our computers to their max capacity when opening a larger Matterport model in SketchUp. Any good word of advice, what's the most critical hw requirement for working with these .obj files?
Post 1 IP   flag post
neeravbm private msg quote post Address this user
I am assuming that you are not doing any processing on the model, but just viewing the model. In that case, GPU performance will be the most important. Make sure to use a GPU with more memory.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Blue-Sketch
Founder
New Orleans, LA
Thanks @neeravbm We have a AMD Radeon R9 M290X with 2048 MB and it's slow. Does anyone have an example of their GPU that works?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Montreal3D private msg quote post Address this user
Nvidia GTX1060 - GTX1070 or GTX1080 found in many gaming laptop will work beautifully.
Post 4 IP   flag post
neeravbm private msg quote post Address this user
2GB memory is pretty low. I have Nvidia GTX 1060 with 6GB RAM and that seems to work fine for me.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Blue-Sketch
Founder
New Orleans, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeravbm
2GB memory is pretty low. I have Nvidia GTX 1060 with 6GB RAM and that seems to work fine for me.
Thanks this may be our problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal3D
Nvidia GTX1060 - GTX1070 or GTX1080 found in many gaming laptop will work beautifully.
These seem to have 8 GB memory so that would solve it.

Many thanks for your help.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@PetraSoderling

You will have a much, much, much easier time working with the Matterport 3D Tours in SketchUp, if you first convert the Matterport Object File (.obj) to a SketchUp file (.skp).

Would you like an introduction via email to a service provider that can do these conversions for you?

Best,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
Blue-Sketch
Founder
New Orleans, LA
Thank you Dan. We did that, too. I think we just need new computers
Post 8 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@PetraSoderling

For clarification, are you using a Matterport Object file (.obj) file and having trouble or a .skp file and having trouble?

[You do not convert the Matterport Object File (.obj) to a SketchUp file (.skp) within the SketchUp application.]

Best,

Dan
Post 9 IP   flag post
New Westminster B.C.
thorn604 private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone on this forum serious about 3D work should be using workstation video cards, ie. nvidia quadro's
The GTX and R9 are awesome cards... for gaming. Workstation cards like the Quadro are designed specifically for 3D modeling work.

We upgraded from GeForce cards to quadro's and the improvement working with point cloud data/3D models was significant.

Get yourself a quadro card, and if you are really serious, a xeon processor too
Post 10 IP   flag post
iGUIDE
Founder/CEO
Kitchener, Canada
Alex_iGuide private msg quote post Address this user
Here are HW reqs for a large point cloud software I used in my previous life:

https://www.innovmetric.com/en/products/polyworksinspector/polyworksinspector-technical-specifications

Recommended System Requirements:

CPU: Quad-core CPU
RAM: 32 GB
Graphics card: NVIDIA Quadro series graphics card equipped with 2 GB of memory (NVIDIA certified cards and drivers)
Post 11 IP   flag post
Montreal3D private msg quote post Address this user
@thor604

Suprisingly, while Quaddro card and xeon processor are sold to be the most efficient for CAD, the price difference is huge compared to the actual variation in processing time.

Unless you are dedicated at CAD modeling and pushing the limit of a CAD software, investing into such graphic card is often a bad investment.
Post 12 IP   flag post
101429 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?