Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
BLK360LidarQuestion of the Day

Question of the Day: How are you using the Leica BLK360 with Matterport?8296

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

Here is the Question of the Day for Monday, 26 November 2018:

How are you using the Leica Geosystems BLK360 360º scanner/camera with Matterport?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
I just bought my BLK360 a few days ago. I plan to take it overseas to do some test scans outdoor in historical locations. I'll make sure to share any good outcome here.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@Tosolini

Cool!

If you add Beijing to your itinerary, this project would likely pay for your detour:

Matterport Pro - with Leica BLK360 Camera Wanted: Beijing, China

Please Private Message me if you would like an intro for Beijing.

Happy holidays (and safe travels).

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
The BLK360 is an amazing tool that allows:

- Alignment in large open spaces
- Alignment and scanning outside
- Capture of MESH at tall heights

With these 3 things, we've scanned large, empty CRE spaces that would otherwise fold in on themselves, misalign and come back with misplaced scans. We've scanned outside pool areas and mixed use outdoor areas. We've scanned towering water slides and 4 story buildings.

The BLK 360 is a luxurious item to have. It can make the difference between a project being impossible and possible.

It can also be a secret weapon. I scanned a luxury home and it's back yard with the pool. The most impressive thing, however, was that the upstairs gameroom was flooded by light streaming through the windows that had no coverings. With the Pro-2, I would have needed to wait until the time of day changed. With the BLK, I was able to scan and complete the MESH perfectly.

Is it worth $20k to be able to get by a room flooded with sunlight? Perhaps not, but if you have the device on hand, you will find many practical uses for it. It's handy to have and you will never know when you might need one.

Take the cost of the device and imagine that you're paying it off over a 5 year period (60/months). That's $333 a month. Much like a car payment on a conservative vehicle. Can you use it with your marketing strategy to win more business? Can you find even just 1 unique scan per month that only the BLK can do?

There are many ways to look at it.

Some of the luckier people out there are scanning massive industrial areas and their device paid for itself within months
Post 4 IP   flag post
Montreal3D private msg quote post Address this user
There is quite a lot of value added by adding a BLK360 to your toolkit, it's definitly a nice to have as described by Metroplex360.

While scan density is quite low compared to higher end scanner, it is appropriate for Architecture and Construction. Engineering may require higher quality scan in most cases.

The only downside for photorealistic 3D mesh is the quality of the pictures. Matterport does a better job on that part, and it's a shame given the price point of a BLK360.

FARO M70 image quality is much better... but you don't have the capture app integration.

The latest Leica scanner, the RTC360, is an overall incredible device. Let's hope a similar, more accessible tool, compatible with the caputre app, get to the market in 2019 !
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
@Montreal3D The image quality of the BLK360 has vastly improved (still not as good as the Pro-2) in the recent v1.20 firmware update. Leica posted and then removed the update due to some reports of installation failure, but v1.21 is coming in the next few weeks with improvements to the installation process.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi All,

When you buy a Leica BLK360 using the Robotic Imaging Group affiliate link for @MikeChawaga ... you receive - free - the first 12 months of WGAN Standard Membership.

Best,

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
101429 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?