WGAN-TV Matterport Cloud and Workshop for Newbies #183-Edit VR from the nearly 2-hour WGAN Training Academy Video Library: How to use Matterport Cloud and Matterport Workshop for Newbies

---

Making Money Idea of the Week #9: Offer Matterport VR as an Add On

Hi All,

If you Enable sharing of VR links by default in Matterport settings, you will never be able to up-sell Matterport VR as an Add On. And, by Enable sharing of VR links by default, you may be shooting yourself - and your client - in the foot. That’s because Matterport VR walk through experience should be curated. More on curating for Matterport VR in a moment.

One day – hopefully sooner than later – Matterport VR will be a thing. And some of your client – that you have already created a Matterport 3D Tour will ask you – “Can Matterport be viewed in VR?”

In 2016, We Get Around Atlanta had a Client that wanted the VR experience – not the 3D Tour experience – to target hipsters at an outdoor festival for a new apartment Community that offered Gig speed internet (and other tech amenities).

I can imagine that one day - hopefully sooner than later - Matterport will enable tricking out the Matterport VR experience as we do today with MatterTags and Augmented Reality (AR).

So, when your Clients start asking about VR – if you already published your Matterport 3D Tours to include VR on, the only way you will be able to make more money is to offer branded VR Viewers.

In this related WGAN Forum discussion, @Pgrim asks this (likely) rhetorical question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgrim
... how do i make money out of this other than sell them my [$10] [VR Viewer] for $20?

Back to curation of a Matterport 3D Tour in VR.

In Matterport Workshop, you can Edit VR which scans are used for the VR walk around experience. To see what this looks like in Matterport Workshop, please see the video above and the Screen Grab examples 3,4 and 5 (below) viewed in Dollhouse View, Floor Plan View and Inside View.

If you do not curate in Edit VR, you may either not be able to walk the entire space, or you likely have way too many scans enabled creating a horrible walk around experience in VR.

Now that you have decided - going forward - globally disable VR for all your Matterport Spaces – how do you enable VR sharing for an individual Matterport 3D Tour? Please see Screen Grab 6 (below). Note in the bottom left for VR Sharing, you change the Default to Enable.

So, how do you make money with Matterport VR?

You can either:

✓ Include Matterport VR in your bundle
✓ Offer Matterport VR as an Add On
✓ Offer Matterport VR as a standalone solution

In this related WGAN Forum discussion, @hometakes suggests this pricing strategy in reply to a Matterport Service Provide whom did not set the VR Viewing setting default off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @hometakes
I think you’ve missed the boat on being able to charge separate for VR. That said, I would base my pricing on non repetitive customers (realtors are normally repetitive) on two things.

What value does it have for them and ability to pay. So for what I call commercial work, my pricing would be different as The value for the business is for the life of the business. The value to an agent is just for the life of the listing agreement.

For commercial clients, my contract would be for a 5 year period with a break clause after two years for option 1 and for option two a break clause after 1 year. Adding this allows them not to be locked in with an option to get out. However, If they want out of the agreement, they have to pay what would be equal to 1 years worth of hosting. First option 1 $0 scan fee plus $299 per year to host. Or option 2, $699 scan fee plus $99 per year to host. If they choose option 1, after 5 years you’ve made $1500. If the chose option 2 after 5 years you’ve made $1200. You’d be surprised how many will choose option 1 as they only part with $299 Out of pocket and that’s good for the first year. That’s $400 less out of pocket for the first year as it would cost them $798.

As for the size, no limit (except that imposed by Matterport) as they’d get me for the day. An empty auditorium that’s 15,000 sq ft but with no one walking in and out may well take you less time than a business that’s 3000 sq ft but has customers walking in and out of the store causing you to delay scanning.

One day – hopefully sooner than later – you will have the opportunity to make money with Matterport VR. To be ready for that day, set the default to off for all your Matterport 3D Tours to off.

Just because Matterport does not charge us for converting Matterport 3D Tours to VR does not mean that we should give Matterport VR away for free.

What are your thoughts about offering Matterport VR as an Add On?

Best

Dan

P.S. Related WGAN Forum discussions tagged:

Making Money Idea of the Week
VR
Virtual Reality
Marketing
New Business Development
Business Dev

Screen Grab 1: Going forward, set the default for Matterport VR to disabled.

Screen Grab 2: [Close Up of Screen Grab 1] Going forward, disable Matterport VR Viewing in Settings (to apply to all Matterport 3D Tours going forward).

Screen Grab 3: In Matterport VR Edit view – viewed in Dollhouse View - Blue dots = scans enabled in VR. White dots = scans hidden in VR.

Screen Grab 4: In Matterport VR Edit view – viewed in Floor Plan View - Blue dots = scans enabled in VR. White dots = scans hidden in VR.

Screen Grab 5: In Matterport VR Edit view – viewed in Inside View - Blue dots = scans enabled in VR. White dots = scans hidden in VR.

Screen Grab 6: In sharing - in the bottom left, you can enable VR Viewing for an individual Matterport 3D Tour.

---

Succeed Faster. Join as a WGAN Fan Club Member.