Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 473 Unique Visitors
9,022 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 40,828 Page Views | 20,383 Unique Visitors | 44 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
GearLevelerNewbiesProblemsTripod Head

Desmond DLEV-1 Leveler issue?7892

PlusUltra private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, based on the helpful WGAN recommendations, I bought the Desmond DLEV-1 Leveler Level (along with Manfrotto MT190XPRO4) since I liked the idea of leveling without having to continuously adjust the tripod legs. However, I've been having an issue and wondering if it's normal or just me - one of the 3 levelers and its screw seems to "wobble" once the camera is mounted on it, as in it doesn't keep the plate stable and I can wobble the plate and camera . I've tried a few different tightenings and adjustments but nothing gets the leveler fully sturdy to where it stays firm in place. My scans often come back with the "Camera not stable" message so I wasn't sure if this was the cause (luckily the scan once processed didn't seem impacted much). I even exchanged the leveler for a replacement in case it the first was defective but same issue with the 2nd.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks so much!
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@PlusUltra

While I like and r commend it, other WGAN Forum Members have reported the same challenges you describe.

I like that you tried a second one. I wonder if there is a quality control issue since I am happy with mine.

Are all your levels about equal when you start out?

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
My Desmond DLEV-1 Leveler has been solid. If you are getting "Camera not stable" issues. You are on the right path tightening everything down. Are you scanning with the Tripod legs all the way up or do you raise the center column when scanning? I have found the Center Column lock on the Manfrotto to get loose easily when getting that error.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@PlusUltra

While I like and r commend it, other WGAN Forum Members have reported the same challenges you describe.

I like that you tried a second one. I wonder if there is a quality control issue since I am happy with mine.

Are all your levels about equal when you start out?

Dan

Hi Dan, yes I make sure all is level to start and also use the torpedo level you suggested on each scan. So far I'm glad it hasn't resulted in an actual scan issue but it's never reassuring to get that message either way
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTLV
My Desmond DLEV-1 Leveler has been solid. If you are getting "Camera not stable" issues. You are on the right path tightening everything down. Are you scanning with the Tripod legs all the way up or do you raise the center column when scanning? I have found the Center Column lock on the Manfrotto to get loose easily when getting that error.

I've only been adjusting the tripod legs and haven't raised the center column at all yet since I figured keeping it lower to base would make things more stable. Since both you and Dan said yours are working well, maybe I just got a bad batch. Thanks
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
@PlusUltra - I would say dump it and work with the legs. I dumped mine and ended up replacing my tripod soon after (3 year life). I have found the built in level on the MT190XPRO4 and leg movement to work faster anyway. Plan on replacing the tripod more often as an upcoming expense that will probably be inevitable is my situation.

Which clamp are you using?

I'm using the [url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010W8UML6?tag=gb089-20]Clamp that came with the Desmond DLEV-1/url]. I have read about other clamps not tightening as well to the base. My previous clamp was so bad I needed pliers to tighten my camera mount. Perhaps the issue could be here.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Okay, I'm about to share my top secret for speedy leveling. I switched to using these two pieces plus a $3 plastic circular bubble level stuck to the top of my Pro camera nearly two years ago and it changed my MP life. Quick ONE-step leveling anywhere, stairs, bumps, whatever. Never takes me more than 5 seconds to level.

The $3.00 bubble level I got at OSH, the other two pieces on Amazon. Similar bubble levels also on Amazon as pictured. Parts have worked dependably for me for two years.

Post 7 IP   flag post
@VTLV I'm using that same discal clamp that came with the Desmond leveler too. Thanks for the perspective on relying on my tripod more - I probably shouldn't have expected the leveler alone to be the perfect solution/convenience. I appreciate the help!
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Home3D Thanks so much for sharing! Looks like a solid setup - I'm just getting started so am open to all solutions and hearing what works for everyone here with tons of experience helps a lot.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
I LOVE this Kingjoy ball level as it's incredibly fast to use. I think someone on the forum wrote that they had one wear out after a while, but mine has worded flawlessly. I may buy another just in case the product is ever discontinued.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@Home3D strong rec, ordering as we speak to give it a go thanks again
Post 11 IP   flag post
101268 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?