Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Lead GenerationMarketingMatterport Competes with MSPsMatterport EcosystemMatterport Kerfuffle

Matterport uses MSP Program to Generate Lead for Camera Sales7852

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Screen Grab: When you complete your request for a Matterport Service Provider here, you get this screen (above) when you complete your request.

Hi All,

From time-to-time, I reach out to Matterport for MSPs for Matterport Pro Wanted opportunities that I do not have a WGAN Member to handle. Today, for example, with the help of the Matterport Service Provider program, I was able to take care of this Matterport Pro Wanted opportunity and likely this one too.

The MSP Program has been very helpful to WGAN to source some MSPs in tiny markets where we do not have Members.

That said, I was surprised to see that Matterport uses their MSP program to generate leads for camera sales.

Am I the only one that thinks this is not in the spirit of the MSP Program?

It's like telling the inquirer, we know that you asked for a Matterport Service Provider, but you might reconsider and buy a Matterport Camera instead. Or, after you engage the Pro and watch the Pro scan, you should then buy a Camera.

If you request a Matterport Service Provider here:
https://matterport.com/find-a-photographer/

... you get this screen grab above (above) when you complete your request.

Seems like Matterport needs to engage a Matterport Service Provider to sit in on marketing meetings to represent Pros to say things like, "that's not in the spirit of the Matterport Service Provider Program. The Program's mission should be to generate leads for MSPs: not sell Cameras. You will make the Community very unhappy. And, after the Matterport Ecosystem kerfuffle, you need to be extra sensitive about how your actions are received."

Your thoughts?

Best,

Dan

P.S. I hope Matterport does not ban me from sourcing Pros via their MSP Program. Rather, looks at this discussion as constructive criticism to help Matterport Succeed Faster too.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Liam_Tayler private msg quote post Address this user
Pfffff, I am less and less enamoured with their marketing dept.
Post 2 IP   flag post
MarcelloM private msg quote post Address this user
This is not correct, it is a little like stealing, shameful Matterport!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Ghagendorf private msg quote post Address this user
Knife. Throat Cut.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod

Their marketing department should be fired top to bottom. Setting marketing channels against one another is one of the worst mistakes that a company can make. Textbook Marketing 101. The problem is that every realtor who buys a camera is looking to improve their life a little, maybe a bit more. However, for those of us who choose this profession, the camera (and all involved with it) is a big part of our livelihood. Can you imagine how desirable their product and this profession would be if they actually supported MSPs instead of paying lip service to us? If they actually expended training, resources and marketing/advertising support for MSPs along the lines of what they expend trying to flog cameras to realtors? Shameful.

Keith
Post 5 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
Peterborough, United Kingdom
angusnorriss private msg quote post Address this user
Yes they do. It is a fact. They have frequently canvassed my prospects who I had been introduced as an MSP.

Not only am I one of several local MSPs pitching for the business but now the camera provider joins in too.

It’s very bad as they win at all levels. Matterport win as they get the hosting/publishing fees increased if I grt a new client.

It needs to stop.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
@angusnorriss

For clarification, when you get a lead from the MSP program, Matterport follows up with “your” now Client to attempt to sell them a camera?

Dan
Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Basic
New Brighton, PA
frstbubble private msg quote post Address this user
This is nothing new has been happening for years now.
One of the biggest downsides I see is not the fact that they want camera sales and hosting fees. But, say I am a realtor and get camera from their add. I try it find it is too much time for me now I HATE Matterport.
So am I ever going to use Matterport again even with a MSP after I sell my camera... NO
Post 8 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
If you follow the post which I stated 3 years ago that this has always been a MP tactic. They have the best potential customer list that any company could ask for as each and every one of your models have all the contact info they need to mine your customers. Two years ago a photographer called me and ask If he should buy a camera to supplement his business. I told him if he did he'll have to protect his clients. Sure enough within 6 months he called me back and stated that MP had contacted his customer and tried to get them to buy a camera stating it's so simple to use the camera that a monkey could do it. I don't know how many time someone has written to me and stated that MP has gone after my clients

This is why I've quit offering MP or going after new MP business except for the film industry as everyone in that industry is a contractor so when the film is in the can (and old expression) everyone goes on their way and wait for the next shoot. I've been very lucky and shoot 5 major films in the last 2 years. I'm now thinking of selling the whole side of the film business but it's not just MP but 360 pano's and 360 video as well. I know that MP has tried to approach my clients but due to the fact that the studios don't employ any production staff there is no interest in MP what so ever and I'm cleared with all the major studios as well. Everyone that reads this invaluable forum should take notice as MP will come for your customers as well "it's just a matter of time" SO TAKE NOTICE
Post 9 IP   flag post
Fast Start
Websites
Peterborough, United Kingdom
angusnorriss private msg quote post Address this user
@DanSmigrod yes that is correct. I have proof. They canvassed 3 of my current clients to try and sell cameras to them.

Each of them came though the MSP referral and I have only had 3 through it.

They also pitched scan services to one them.

It outrages me but I supplement my business accordingly. Why do they have to eat my lunch just because they provide the plate???

Unethical and disrespectful. It needs seriously addressing. The CMO must be a complete loser to accept they are cannibalising their loyal user base and creating such negative noise amongst MSPs; The backbone of which kick-started them into coverage by stumping up hard-earned cash and scanning, publishing and co-branding all their work.

Get off my lawn Matterport!
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @angusnorriss
They also pitched scan services to one them.

@angusnorriss

Is this an accurate description of what's happening to you?

Should Matterport be in the Business of Buying Scans from MSPs?

Best,

Dan
Post 11 IP   flag post
George_WALKINTOUR private msg quote post Address this user
Oh. Lovely. So we get the short end of the stick here. I guess it helps their business model but doesn't help the rest of us.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Ghagendorf private msg quote post Address this user
I was looking at the Matterport gallery and this annoying banner keep popping up on the bottom of the screen (over and over again) trying to sell a camera to me - I have already bought 2 !!

Post 13 IP   flag post
WGAN Standard
Las Vegas
VTLV private msg quote post Address this user
Monkey See, Monkey Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySnyder
it's so simple to use the camera that a MONKEY could do it. I don't know how many time someone has written to me and stated that MP has gone after my clients
- I think PooFlinger is going back to his old tricks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistrydoc
Their marketing department should be fired top to bottom
- Totally agree here. It's gotta be working or Cooder wouldn't be back to his old ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghagendorf
I was looking at the Matterport gallery and this annoying banner keep popping up on the bottom of the screen (over and over again) trying to sell a camera to me - I have already bought 2 !!
- Funky Monkey is all about Banana's. Can't leave the yellow alone unless Cornelious walks in the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousJorge
I got so annoyed by that banner, I couldn't get anywhere on the site without hitting that banner
- If you're getting that many pop ups, you should be on some celebrity gossip site - Clyde

-Or trying to play a free game on my phone in the middle of nowhere while I'm in my truck - Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_WALKINTOUR
Oh. Lovely. So we get the short end of the stick here. I guess it helps their business model but doesn't help the rest of us.
- Too Many Monkeys Jumping on the Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by angusnorriss
t outrages me but I supplement my business accordingly. Why do they have to eat my lunch just because they provide the plate???
- Chunky Monkey isn't Chunky enough yet.

Moral of the Monkey story here: Donkey Kong orders the Grape Ape, Albert and KoKo to sell cameras with hosting. Grape Ape sells high hope of starting business with no Experience for Pooflinger to sell. Chunky Monkey hooks, line and sinker Bubbles. Then Bubbles the chimp goes out to scan for real real cheap. Bubbles bills high monthly fee to Curious George to make up for scan time, business and equipment loss. Then Donkey Kong orders Chunky Monkey to call Curious George to sell cheaper hosting for Donkey Kong. Bubbles becomes a monkey who jumped off the bed and broke his head.
Post 14 IP   flag post
RedRock3D private msg quote post Address this user
YEARS ago I was in the home fragrance business. It was an art and a science, perfected only by experience. It was soon taken over by rank amateurs and (very cheap) imports. Skill no longer played a role. Consumers were drawn to the new low prices and availability of the mass produced product but the quality was awful.

It took only a few short years before consumers were convinced that ALL products coming from this particular niche were of poor quality and craftsmanship. That particular sector of the home fragrance industry is now essentially dead due to poor consumer experience.

The "one push of a button" nonsense is misleading to unsuspecting realtors. MSPs know there a LOT more to it than that.

I hate to see the marketing dept's goal to sell cameras supersede corporate goals toward an outstanding 3D consumer experience, but that seems to be the way most businesses grow...chew up market space, spit it out, clean up mess later or move on to a niche.
Post 15 IP   flag post
101436 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?