Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 27 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
.obj.skpCADPTS

What CAD file types can be converted to .OBJ ...?7846

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

Are you able to answer this question that I received via email today?

Best,

Dan

---

Hi,

I read your article about converting matterport file (.obj) into point cloud file (.pts), so that it can be imported in a CAD software.

My question is within CAD, will i be able to modify the objects: such as change the height/width of chairs or replace that chair with a different one? Then, is it possible for me to take the file in CAD and reconvert it back into an (.obj) file?

[redacted]
Post 1 IP   flag post
YairYepez private msg quote post Address this user
Short answer, No, it is not possible.

More elaborated answer. The matterport scan imported into CAD is a modifiable and editable obj mesh. Chairs, windows. Doors, or any other object in the scan is part of that mesh. Everything glued together. Yes, the parts of this mesh that look like a chair or a door, etc can be cut out, erased, change shape or size but they are not modifies as intelligent BIM or AEC elements in CAD. Such elements can be added actually but won't be part of the Obj mesh.

Also, the file in Cad can be exported back as an obj fill e but it totally depends which Cad or BIM software you are using.

Y
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@YairYepez

Thank you. A follow-up question ...

Dan

——

Hi Dan,

Correct me if i'm wrong. It seems like your colleague is saying that i will be able to modify the content within, but that modification will not automatically update the BIM and it will not be part of the mesh.

Is that right? If not then, i'm having trouble understanding what Intelligent BIM is. I know what BIM is, not intelligent BIM.

Can you clear this up for me? Also, as a heads up i'm not working with a team, it's simply me whose working on this project. And i'm not trying to change the structural components/foundations of the building, only the "movable" things within, such as: chairs and tables.

Thank you,

[redacted]
Post 3 IP   flag post
neeravbm private msg quote post Address this user
BIM is the same as intelligent BIM. There is no difference. By definition, BIM is supposed to be intelligent.

BIM is very different from OBJ file though. OBJ file has a bunch of triangles that are used for rendering geometry on screen but there is no way to know whether a triangle belongs to a wall or a pipe, as an example. Hence OBJ file is not intelligent.

BIM, on the other hand, is parametric. If you add a wall, it will add a wall object with a given thickness and material. You can also change the type of the wall, its composition, etc, which you can't do in an OBJ file. So in BIM, it's possible to query for all walls in a project and change their thickness. You can't do this in an OBJ file.

In addition to geometry, BIM also stores other parameters/metadata. Thickness, wall composition are a couple of examples we already discussed. For a door, examples could be type of door (single/double), on which side it opens, etc.

There is a difference between CAD and BIM as well. CAD generally deals with geometry only while BIM has metadata in addition to geometry alone. Difference between CAD and OBJ is that OBJ is a bunch of triangles, while CAD has higher level shapes (cylinders, lines, cubes, etc.).

The conversion from OBJ file to BIM/CAD is not automatic. As of now, it's a very time-intensive manual process. Generally this is done by importing an OBJ file into BIM/CAD software and tracing over it. In other words, you see where the wall is and then you create a wall at exactly that place using CAD UI.

Once you have the CAD/BIM file, you can edit it pretty easily. As an example, you can remove all movable items. Depending on CAD/BIM software, you might be able to export the resultant geometry into CAD/OBJ as well. Note that you'll not be able to import this OBJ file into Matterport though. But there are plenty other softwares where you can import it and use it for visualization.

Just curious, at a higher level, what are you trying to achieve?
Post 4 IP   flag post
101641 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?