Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 837 Unique Visitors
9,050 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 35,106 Page Views | 19,195 Unique Visitors | 29 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
CUPIXGoogle Street ViewGSV17MP2SVPanoskin

Publishing to Google Street View: Matterport versus CUPIX Pricing7771

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Published to Google Street View via Matterport. This tour could be improved via a moderation tool such as Panoskin Pro to prevent walking through Walls. A nadir logo tripod patch could have added a logo and website to every 360º. | Tour by We Get Around Atlanta Chief Photographer Dan Smigrod

Glam Gamer Girl meets iSimu VR in Google Street View by We Get Around Chief Photographer Dan Smigrod | Tour moderated by MP2SV (@Metroplex360) to enhance walk around experience and color; remove camera; and add nadir logo patch.

Publishing to Google Street View: Matterport versus CUPIX Pricing

Hi All,

While I have previously written about Matterport versus CUPIX publishing to Google Street in the WGAN Forum here ...

Matterport Versus CUPIX: Publishing a 3D Tour to Google Street View

... this WGAN Forum discussion is specifically about Matterport versus CUPIX publish to Google Street View pricing.

In addition to being big differences between Matterport versus CUPIX features related to publish to Google Street View, there is also a big difference in publish to Google Street View pricing.

If you had asked me in May 2017 when Matterport announced Matterport to Google Street View Publishing at the 2017 Google Street View Summit in Tokyo, I would likely have said $19 per tour seems reasonable. That was then. This is now.

What’s different today? CUPIX

If you are thinking about buying either a Matterport camera or a 360º 1-Click Camera paired with CUPIX to simplify your workflow, both are easy, fast and simple. That said, there are many differences between the two platforms for publishing to Google Street View. And, one of the many many differentiators include how much to publish to Google Street View.

If you plan to publish 15 spaces to Google Street View a month, you will save nearly $2,000 annually using CUPIX. And, if you are planning to publish 20 spaces to Google a month, you will save nearly $3,000 annually using CUPIX. Even if you only plan to publish 10 spaces a month to Google Street View, CUPIX will save you about $750 annually.

You can see how I did these calculations with this link to a Matterport versus CUPIX Publish to Google Street View Cost Comparison Chart.

Because Matterport will charge $19 per tour published to Google Street View starting 1 October 2018 and CUPIX charges $29 monthly for unlimited publishing to Google Street View, I had to make some assumptions regarding:

✓ which Matterport and CUPIX plans might be considered comparable
✓ the cost of Matterport processing beyond the number included free per month (CUPIX does not charge for processing)
✓ the number of models published monthly to Google Street View

If you already have a Matterport Camera and only plan to publish to Google Street View ocasionality, you’re probably okay on paying Matterport a per model fee as long as the other differences between Matterport and CUPIX do not matter to you.

If you have a Matterport Camera and plan to publish 10 to 15 models a month to Google Street View, you may want to consider either switching to CUPIX or adding a CUPIX account.

Also, I am not a fan of Matterport charging for Publishing to Google Street View as an Add On. That makes it easy for a client to say, "but it is only costing you $19 more to publish it to Google Street View. Why are you charging so much more?" Because CUPIX includes Publishing to Google Street View in its Studio Pack pricing, it makes it harder for a Client to say the same thing because the Client is not committed to CUPIX hosting and CUPIX Studio Pack plans.

What are your thoughts about Matterport versus CUPIX pricing for publishing to Google Street View?

By the way, if you are publishing to Google Street View from Matterport, you will likely still want to use a Google Street View moderator tool such as Panoskin Pro to improve the ‘walking around’ experience, including not walking through walls or too many scan points.

Or, engage a 3rd party service provider that offers moderation services such as MP2SV from @Metroplex360 ...

Here is an example of a Matterport to Google Street View Tour moderated by MP2SV (@Metroplex360) to improve, among other things, the walk around experience and color; remove camera; and add nadir logo patch.

In contrast to Matterport to Google Street View publishing, when you moderate a CUPIX tour and publish it to Google Street View, you have control over the walk around experience, enhancing the color and adding a nadir logo patch to cover the tripod.

"So long as make sure you can (1) fully navigate the tour and (2) consider reducing the number of connections to and you will be set withe a high quality tour," says @scott_cupix in an email to me.

Scott continues ...

"Issues if ...

(1) if you can't navigate the the tour in Cupix, you won't in GSV either. For example if you don't link ("connect" in Cupix) the inside of the hotel with the front of the hotel, then you won't be able to navigate between inside and outside. This would be a critical issue.
(2) in the hotel you shot, there were so many connections. You can choose to remove some of these connections. This would be a minor issue."

That's yet one more point that is different between Matterport publish to Google Street View and CUPIX publish to Google Street View.

We Get Around Network Standard and Premium Members Special Offer

FREE! First six months of CUPIX Small Plan + Studio Add On Pack (Publish to Google Street View)
free use of Panoskin Pro (published your GSV tour via Matterport or CUPIX, then improve walk around experience
Free Nadir Logo Patch (works great with CUPIX and Panoskin Pro and Google Street View)
Save 40 Percent on Matterport to Google Street View Publishing boutique moderation services by MP2SV

Not yet a We Get Around Network Standard or Premium Member? 40+ Membership Benefits | Compare WGAN Membership Plans | www.JoinStandard.com

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Bon Secour, Alabama
Chemistrydoc private msg quote post Address this user
Cupix all the way on general principles. I also struggle with Matterport charging for this service, since we have to upload to MP anyway. The GSV business increases their revenue, and (presumably) they have access to your work, even if you delete the model from Matterport servers.

Cupix is a far more equitable solution, IMHO

Keith
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry, but until someone makes it easier to understand and with statistics that can show the value, to me it's not worth anything. I have yet to be asked by a client to be uploaded to GSV and if I ask if they want me to upload their space to it...they could care less. I just don't see the value.
Post 3 IP   flag post
3SixtyNow private msg quote post Address this user
So, should we put a 360º 1-click camera on top of the Matterport camera so we have the same shot placements? Then use the 360º 1-click camera shots and Cupix or Panoskin Pro to upload to GSV?
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@3SixtyNow

Haha ...

From the WGAN Forum discussion:

Helmet Cam for Google Street View: Helmet + Adhesive Mount + Ricoh Theta V

Matterport Helmet Cam as imaged by @CarlosFHdz. "I imagine alignment would suffer due to head tilting, as well as neck and back strain. But it's part of the job," writes Carlos

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzphotoman
Sorry, but until someone makes it easier to understand and with statistics that can show the value, to me it's not worth anything. I have yet to be asked by a client to be uploaded to GSV and if I ask if they want me to upload their space to it...they could care less. I just don't see the value.

I have many clients who approach us for Google Street View. We use it as a conversation starter to share how Matterport is best from their website and Google Street View is discoverable on search / Maps.

You may not believe that Google Street View has value as in your own experiences, you don't tend to use it. Quite frankly, I do not use it either. I've been surprised how important many people feel that it is and how much they enjoy using it -- and based on this, there is a product.

Many people think that Matterport Spaces are useless
Post 6 IP   flag post
101620 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?