Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,033 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 38 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AirbnbBooking.comMuseumsRentalTravelVersus

Airbnb Vs Matterport (a suggested solution)7700

imad private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,
i just posted this on MOUG to get what Matterport thinks of it, and it'll great to read your thought as well about it in here.

Airbnb Vs Matterport:

Here is a suggested solution to hopfully presuade Airbnb and other services like booking.com to accept and view a matterport virtual tour as an additional info to their listings.

My Understanding of Airbnb's problem with matterport and other virtual tour providers (i welcome your corrections if i'm wrong) is that Airbnb simply doesn't want the virtual tour embedded links (URLs inside the tour) to drive thier visitors away from their website.

The Suggested solution is:
1) Matterport to build a special showcase that simply strips any addons off a Virtual Tour (URLs, Pictures, Videos, etc ..).
2) Matterport to provide a special subdomain for that special showcase, all showcases URLs are my.matterport.com/abcdxyz so matterport can make this showcase URL like rental.matterport.com/abcdxyz (the same tour but with a different subdomain to ensure airbnb that there will be no addons in any of the tours coming from that subdomain and Airbnb in return will only accept tour coming from that exact subdomain.
3) Matterport to provide us (MSPs) with an option in our workshop to publish our tour to that special show case which is the same as the usual tour but only without the addons, so our clients can have the normal showcase for their website and the special showcase for airbnb.

Note: i know my suggestion is dead simple but i feel urged to post it out of curiosity to know why it didn't workout yet, as i'm sure it has been somehow disccussed with Airbnb before (if matterport is willing to share that ofcourse).

Regards,

Imad
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@imad

it!

Brilliant!

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@imad

it!

Brilliant!

Dan

Thanks Dan, i hope it works at the end.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
Great idea Dan, but my experience with airbnb is that their pay structure for DSLR HDR photos is dirt cheep so my guess is that if they ever accept Matterport they'll have a similar pay structure. Plus they are very specific on the photos they want. They also make you take tests to see if you can follow their exact guidelines. Their goal is to make every airbnb photo layout look like they all came from the same photographer. I think they would have trouble controlling the 360 tours.
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@imad

Please share Matterport's comments to your recommendations here ...

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSmigrod
@imad

Please share Matterport's comments to your recommendations here ...

Best,

Dan

Unfortunately there was no comment from Matterport.
Post 6 IP   flag post
mori private msg quote post Address this user
A good idea, but I think this will not work or happen. Similar issues appear also with other Portals like Booking.com or Big Media Companies like Burda.com.

They want to own the content they pay for to 100% and maybe even exclusive. The MP legals and procedure make this difficult if the photographer is not to 100% the owner of all rights.

Another thing is that they also want full control of the "tour" they buy e.g. to track the use and the only solution for this is "local hosting" with a customizable (brandable whitelabel) player they can run with their branding and on their own platforms incl. the usage rights without any dependency on a 3rd party.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@rzphotoman & @mori You're both aboloutlely right.

From your comments and other comments on MOUG (Though no comment yet from MP) it sounds like the problem is not lost traffic, it's more of an ownership to the solution and all of it's components.

Just like in Pictures and Videos today, you own the machine (Camera), you own the material (Photos), you own the platform on which you view the material on (Endless Free Options), which is not the case at all when it comes to virtual tours, and frankly matterport is not even an option from that point of view.

From my knowledge of Airbnb in particular, i agree with you guys, because from day one, the founders themselves worked on ownership of their content (they used to go door to door taking pictures of Airbnb's early properties on the east coast) and that was what set them apart from competition.

In the light of what has been discussed here & on MOUG yet, i come to conclude that Matterport (as it is today) might never be on Airbnb, because i think soon enough one click camera solutions will develop high enough resolutions along with white lable web scripts that can view a 360 Tour properly (on any platform and even offline), and since the majority of the Tourism sector and many other sectors doesn't care about the 3D data of a scan, then a High Resolution One Click 360 will do the job.

I think Matterport has a good chance today in generating a wonderful ownable material if they decided to enable MSPs to own and export "their" panos in full resolution directly (without having to go through GSV). which might work for Airbnb if they managed to solve the viewing peice of software themselves.

However once Airbnb, booking.com, Trip Adviser and other big fellows decides to adopt a new "fully ownable solution" that suits them all, we're going to witness a sudden booming in that sector, and it'll be like a snowball .. everyone wants a virual tour for their place, social media will support that then, like there is a place for a phone number, a place for an email, a place for a website, and a place for a virtual tour link, if that happened .. it's going to be a tsounami of virtual content that will change the face of the industry as it'll be suddenly recognised by everyone on this planet within a very short period.

and unfortounately with Matterport's current mindset i think they'll be out of that race (simply because of there own service terms not because they don't fit).

Be prepared guys .. they day of virtual content are coming.

Regards,

Imad Armanazi
Post 8 IP   flag post
Gerhard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mori
A good idea, but I think this will not work or happen. Similar issues appear also with other Portals like Booking.com or Big Media Companies like Burda.com.

They want to own the content they pay for to 100% and maybe even exclusive. The MP legals and procedure make this difficult if the photographer is not to 100% the owner of all rights.

Another thing is that they also want full control of the "tour" they buy e.g. to track the use and the only solution for this is "local hosting" with a customizable (brandable whitelabel) player they can run with their branding and on their own platforms incl. the usage rights without any dependency on a 3rd party.
this will all soon change.... adapt or die... just ask yourself how many listings are on air b&b... why is MP so stubborn.
Post 9 IP   flag post
101437 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?