Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 692 Unique Visitors
9,052 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,455 Page Views | 19,142 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Highlights ReelMatterport WorkshopQuestion of the DaySlide ShowWalkThrough

Question of the Day: Do you prefer Matterport Slide Show or Walkthrough?7642

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

The WGAN Forum Question of the Day for Tuesday, 14 August 2018) is:

For the Matterport Highlights Reel, do you prefer Matterport Slide Show or Matterport Walkthrough?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
Slide show. Most times the walkthrough makes me dizzy.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Sarnia, Canada
June private msg quote post Address this user
I like the walk-through but clients prefer the slide-show.
Post 3 IP   flag post
DouglasMeyers private msg quote post Address this user
Myself and my client love the Walk Thru... Gives you a feel of walking thru the property.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
Queen_City_3D private msg quote post Address this user
Walk Through.

I think it's one of the things that actually differentiate the Matterport platform to show how you can actually move through space.

I think it helps coach viewers on how they can themselves navigate.

To me, the slide show just looks like a normal tour cycling through images.
Post 5 IP   flag post
MeshImages private msg quote post Address this user
Matterport = Walkthrough
Walkthrough = Matterport

We always deliver walkthroughs.

The walkthrough is one of the features that makes Matterport unique.
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Portland, Oregon
HelloPado private msg quote post Address this user
I've always preferred the walkthrough but as im up against my largest project to date (160k sf) I will probably use slideshow for quicker navigation between points of interest.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@HelloPado For what it's worth, I've noticed that Matterport recently tweaked the walkthrough.

If I'm creating a highlight reel of a two-storey house with full basement, I typically start by the entry door and have the tour go through the entire main level before going upstairs and then finally to the basement.

In the past this meant that there was quite the fly-through when it finished upstairs and went back down to the basement.

Last week I noticed that it did the entire walkthrough on the main and up the stairs, but must have realized that the distance between the last viewpoint upstairs and next viewpoint in basement was a big jump and so there was a slide show transition there. Just to clarify... it was walkthrough transitions all the way to that one spot, and then a slide show transition, and then back to walkthrough transitions. I was impressed that it happened and it worked well. I just don't know if it was a fluke that it worked out in a way that worked for me, because I don't think we have control over that one way or another.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Liam_Tayler private msg quote post Address this user
I always go with the walkthrough as it gives the client an idea of the flow of the property. The slide show doesn't give the client an understanding of the layout.

As mentioned above, the walkthrough also is a differentiating factor for Matterport.
Post 9 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Home3D private msg quote post Address this user
Another vote for Walkthrough - definitely!

Slide show looks like a traditional cheesy "virtual tour" slideshow so common for decades. I can't stand anything that looks like that.

But the real strength of "Walkthrough" is that it demonstrates the look and feel of manually navigating Matterport spaces, so it sort of teaches the uninitiated as to how Matterport works. My clients love this.

Creating elegant "Walkthrough" showcase tours is definitely more work, this I'll agree. As much as MP has tried to automated the process, I still regularly BEG matterport to give us the option of taking a single snapshot and manually choosing whether to pan Right or Left. They've tried to make it simple by NOT giving us this choice but it make more work because some scenes inevitably pan in an illogical direction.

The best solution would to be:
• Take a snapshot at the CENTER position of the best angle on a room, and
• Choose whether the pan should be Right or Left, centered around this single snapshot

This would make the designing of Walkthrough showcase tours SO much easier!

I love Matterport!
Post 10 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Comment for Queen City, above.

When using Walkthrough mode (which is always for me) my tendency when confronted with "big moves" such as from an attic to a basement, etc, is to fly from the attic to a Dollhouse view which includes the attic. Then move to a Dollhouse view which focuses toward the basement (or wherever next), and then fly into that new walkthrough view shot. This helps the viewer to understand the move, even when across a big gap, and without the dizziness of traversing several flights of stairs.

A suggestion. Let me know what you think.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@Home3D Zooming to dollhouse and then to area far away is a good strategy and I have used that before. Definitely good advice!

Also, thought it worth mentioning but I ALWAYS turn the auto-pan feature off (either using the checkbox with WP3D Models or adding the parameter kb=0 to the matterport URL), as I find that pan distracting/annoying. Personally I wish the default was no pan.
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Los Angeles
Holy cow! I use WP3D as well but did not realize there was an option to turn off the panning part, NOR had I notice that MP parameter. And I though I knew it all (not). Wow, I'm doing a showcase this afternoon and must try it. Can you send me an example of one or your spaces with walkthrough with panning off? I want to see this and learn.

Thank you!
[Private Message me]
Post 13 IP   flag post
Liam_Tayler private msg quote post Address this user
no way! That kb=0 is perfect - I wish I had known about that! I just tried it on one of my tours and it made the transitions much smoother,.. thanks a lot!!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Can you show me an example of how you added it... please ?
Thanks Douglas
Post 15 IP   flag post
WGAN Fan
Club Member
Portland, Oregon
HelloPado private msg quote post Address this user
I have found a ton obv value in the parameters.
https://support.matterport.com/hc/en-us/articles/209980967-URL-Parameters
Post 16 IP   flag post
thanks
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Home3D Here's an example:

https://queencity3d.com/3d-models/hrf-fall-2018-grand-prize-showhome/skinned
Post 18 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
I use the slideshow. I've asked the product team at Matterport to consider allowing us to have BOTH options available in the tour. Why are we having to pick which one to offer when both suit different audiences?!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Standard
Sarasota, Florida
BlueImmersiveMedia private msg quote post Address this user
@Queen_City_3D That is an interesting final product.

Hi -@*

I have a similar issue with a two story with full basement. I created a DRAFT presentation for the client as a slideshow because navigation for a walkthrough was difficult. The objective of the project was to show the selection the client has by walking through the store. Not primarily to purchase or see everything. He wants them to show up IN the store for the most part. So, a slideshow was the right application I think.

I prefer walk-through, however this application was different.

Project:clickable text

Questions:

1. Do you now know “how” you created the path to the other floor? Really a Matterport tweak?
2. How do I post a walkthrough to GSV if I’m using a slideshow. What I am I missing here?
Post 20 IP   flag post
@BlueImmersiveMedia Interesting in what sense?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Standard
Sarasota, Florida
@Queen_City_3D what you did with the walkthrough.

I also see my link to the project didn't work.

Lets try again: Project Link
Post 22 IP   flag post
Sarnia, Canada
@Queen_City_3D
Can you let me know what height you keep your Matterport at? In your tour the lines etc are very straight. Love it!
Post 23 IP   flag post
@June We recently started lowering it for that exact purpose - to get straighter lines in snapshots. Ever since Matterport came out with the auto-created snapshots I've been comparing the ones that AI has provided vs the ones that I've taken. I noticed that I liked a lot of their shots except for the bottom half of the room being cut off. We've since started lowering camera to get more of the room in a straighter shot. Right now, I'd say the top of camera is no higher than 4'6... probably even a few inches lower.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Sarnia, Canada
@Queen_City_3D
Thanks! That's what I have been noticing as well because I have been comparing the snapshots too. I am not exactly sure what level I have mine at because I have been trying the same idea. I guess I should bring a measuring tape with me! :-)
Post 25 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
Chicago
rzphotoman private msg quote post Address this user
I've been shooting at a lower height as well since looking at my 1st scan. Getting much better stills. I know some will say you should shoot at eye level for the 3D tour and then lower the camera and re-do the scans you want still shots from. Others will say only HDR stills are acceptable. All true statements depending on your market.

For me, I offer stills both ways. 90% of the time the Matterport stills are used rather than the additional expense of taking additional HDR images. Know your market. Lots of options available.
Post 26 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by @BlueImmersiveMedia
2. How do I post a walkthrough to GSV if I’m using a slideshow. What I am I missing here?

You can publish a Matterport 3D Tour - that has a slideshow - to Google Street View. (The slideshow does NOT show up on Google Street View.)

Best,

Dan
Post 27 IP   flag post
Standard
Sarasota, Florida
@DanSmigrod Thank you! I knew I wasnt thinking about the GSV with slideshow correctly. I was thinking the actual walkthrough was posted to GSV, not the 360 images for self guided walk-through. Thanks again!
Post 28 IP   flag post
101641 28 28
This topic is archived. Start new topic?