Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 30 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
ArtHide ScansScanningTripod Height

Why I shot this Matterport 3D Tour at Different Camera Heights7607

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Hi All,

A WGAN Forum Member writes ...

Dan

---

Dan,

The first model [in the We Get Around Atlanta Gallery], redacted in Atlanta, let’s discuss.

When you enter the model, there are approximately 4 scan points in the first small “room.” The are also at different heights. Leaving that room, while following sequence, there are approximately 5 shots before connecting to the adjacent room. The second room has 1 all the way against the wall...

While these could help clarify dollhouse, slightly, they would be removed prior to delivery to client.

I went through a couple models, and just see an excessive number of shots.

Is there something I’m not quite understanding? I work with multiple groups, and high end clients, and we end up trimming 40% of the shots you have in these models.

Thanks!
[Redacted]

----

Hello [Redacted],

Thanks for reading "Dan's Tip of the Week" about How to Create a Gallery of Your Matterport Spaces" and for checking out the We Get Around Atlanta Gallery.

Yes. I agree with you about reduce scans to improve the "walk around" experience. In this Glam Gamer Girl in Virtual Reality Art Project, I broke some rules:

✓ I had my muse for a short window. This meant that I scanned the entire space without her
✓ This way, we could shoot anywhere with her
✓ I changed the height of the camera - not typically done for a real estate shoot - to be artistic: looking up at her or on eye-level with her at ground level
✓ I could probably hid some more scans to create a better walk around experience

While I would typically over shoot to make the dollhouse look great and hide scans (which are still used to create the dollhouse view), this space did not need to be over scanned. This technique was used simply to enable placing my muse anywhere during the limited window that I had the space and my muse.

Yes. Trimming 40 percent of scans sounds about what we do. For example, best practice is to scan just before and door jam; in the door jam and then on the other side of the door jam. It's possible to hide 1 or 3 of these scans for example.

Does this clarify?

Best,

Dan
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Hi All,

I received a follow-up email ...

Dan

---

Dan,

That clarifies a bit. I assume you went through multiple rotations of the space, to utilize your muse, the fill in the majority of space.

I understand that over scanning will result in a cleaner dollhouse, and will be hidden during workshop. I just was curious if there was another reason.

Are you pulling still shots from these models at different heights? I assume you’re not delivering the final walkthrough with the tripod at different elevations, are you?

[redacted]

--

Hello [redacted],

We did as many Glam Gamer Girl appearances - with multiple outfits - as time would allow.

Yes. Over scanning results in a cleaner dollhouse. More data to fill "black holes" ...In a perfect world, we would disable many scans - your 40 percent - so that guests are not taking "baby steps" to walk around the space. We do (try to) think about the user experience.

Yes. Exactly. This technique of scanning the entire space first - before my muse - enabled me to have zero scan failures working with the muse. That was important because of when I had access to the space and when my muse was available for this art project.

BTW, I have used this technique to scan a $3,500 a night hotel two-story penthouse. Since the view is what mattered, I would only have "magic hour" lighting for an hour or so. So, I scanned the entire two-story penthouse twice: the first time without regarding for lighting. Had a late lunch. Then, scanned at magic hour - placing the camera only where I needed for the walking experience. I hid all the earlier scans (except for bathrooms and stairs (which did not matter for "golden hour" lighting).

While we all can not control f-stop, shutter speed or ISO with Matterport, we can control light based on when we shoot. Scanning the space twice achieved the desired result.

While we would typically not deliver a model with different elevations, in this art project, the different camera heights are an artist decision (that you may not like).

When I scanned a bathroom in a $2 million condo in Atlanta, I placed the camera in the bathtub so that the potential buyer could see the view from the tub. (I also shot these spaces twice to get the lighting right.)

Best,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
101636 2 2
This topic is archived. Start new topic?