Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 817 Unique Visitors
9,053 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 34,913 Page Views | 19,259 Unique Visitors | 28 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceMesh ViewVirtual Reality

How matterport tour transitions work?7605

janci private msg quote post Address this user
Did anyone analyze the way the view from one point to the next point transitions in a matterport space? I mean the effect or illusion that we move within a 3D space.

First I thought that the panorama image in the current view is superimposed/projected onto the low resolution 3D mesh and the camera of the viewer moves inside of this "simply textured" 3D space. However, after closer inspection and rewatching the transition for hundreds of times I dont see the "ugly/not clean" lowres mesh anywhere. All the 3D shapes seem to have nice edges and clean geometry.

I think I am right about the projection though since "ghosts" of objects can be seen in a distorted way displayed on planes when the view passes by.

To finalize the transition the new 360panorama is faded in towards the very end. I think matterport nailed this perfectly but I assume this should be fairly easy to replicate if one had a 3D model of a space and panoramas rendered from several key points of this space.

I am a professional 3D archviz artist and to create a model of any 3D space and corresponding 360 panoramas is easy for me. So if someone would be interested to discuss this with me just let me know. Maybe I could someone skilled in coding or unity to put together some small demo/prototype?
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Video: 3D Mapping The Exploratorium with Matterport! | Video courtesy of Tested YouTube Channel

@janci

You might enjoy this excellent, (super-geeky), interview with Matterport Co-Founder Matt Bell that helps explain the magic behind Matterport.

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
101641 2 2
This topic is archived. Start new topic?