Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
AdviceFAQProblemsReal EstateScanningTips

Help! Scanning Multi-Unit Bldg for sale and need to make 1 model!7577

lcorbett private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all!

I am scanning a property today that is for sale and it is a multi-unit building with 2 separate units. I need model of the building, but obviously you have to walk outside to access the each of the apartments in the building. Any insight on how to tie the two of these together would be GREATLY appreciated!

Lisa
Post 1 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@lcorbett

Camera must not see the sun.

Clouds do not block the sun.

May take two days unless the building is blocking the sunset.

Use a compass to determine where the sun will be if you start with building 1 first or building 2 first.

If having trouble connecting scans out doors, move the tripod to the lowest level; then go back and scan at normal height.

In Workshop, hide the low scans.

Good luck and please post your results here and tell us what worked and did not work and why.

Thanks,

Dan
Post 2 IP   flag post
Hi Dan. Thank you SO much. There is only 1 building (2 apartments in same building with separate entrances from outside).

So I can scan outside? Should I just create 1 model then? I fear it will not align. And, do I need to shoot the outside at dusk or twilight?
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
@lcorbett

Yes. You can scan outdoors in bright sun as long as the Matterport camera can not see the sun directly and there are no reflections of the sun (off of a building) that the camera can see.

While typically you would scan outdoors before the sunrises or after the sun sets, you do not have that luxury of scanning out doors last.

Do NOT begin scanning out doors.

When you scan outdoors, look at your mini-model to make sure that the scans show up where you would expect them to. (If not, delete the scan and move the camera closer to the last scan and/or lower the tripod.

Dan

I shot the outdoor terrace in bright sun (while the building blocked the camera from seeing the sun.)
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thank you so much! Will post the results. Fingers crossed and really appreciate your quick response!

Lisa
Post 5 IP   flag post
ron0987 private msg quote post Address this user
@lcorbett
The other thing you can do is scan as close to the wall as possible similar to the lowering the camera it allows the camera and software align. It required a lot more scanning but then I turned off the un needed scans.

As you can see on this unit I scanned the patio area in the middle of the day with very little shade. I scanned about 2-3 feet away from the back wall then the fence then next to the wall near the apartment. Then scanned point between doors.

This was two separate buildings and from the walk thru you can see it was bright outside.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks so much @ron0987 I will try that too!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Did you start inside, scan outside and then scan inside again on new unit?
Post 8 IP   flag post
I started in the main unit then went thru the back door staying in the shade then went next to the wall in the patio area. then went into the apartment. Just be careful I just remembered that when I scanned in the open area I picked up a lot of halos and bright spots in the walk thru that was slightly distracting. It took about 10 extra scans for me.
Post 9 IP   flag post
THANK YOU SO MUCH! You also did a fab job on this!
Post 10 IP   flag post
One other thing I tried to do my exterior scans when the sun was as close to directly overhead to reduce the shadow foot print from the camera.
Post 11 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
New York City
3dVuz private msg quote post Address this user
Why not do two scans and make one single property website? I’m a broker in NYC and I shoot 2-3 family homes. I make ONE site and label each unit. WP3D sites are amazing for this exact scenario. Here’s a link to one I made for a buddy of mine who works for C21

clickable text
Post 12 IP   flag post
WGAN
Standard
New York City
3dVuz private msg quote post Address this user
If you want me to I’ll make the site for you free to see if it works. Let me know!
Post 13 IP   flag post
808virtually private msg quote post Address this user
Do the outside scans close together as needed for alignment and at twilight. Here is one that has outdoor areas,
Post 14 IP   flag post
WOW @808virtually That place is amazing! How did you get the edges so crisp on the outside areas in the model (trim tool?) and how do you get the blue line that takes you on the automatic tour?!

@3dvuz thank you so much, but I did one tour and have uploaded. I will share once its available and pray it turned out okay. Thanks everyone for your help!
Post 15 IP   flag post
@lcorbett Yes, the trim tool on the outside edges. I did this in three separate models and had Wonderwoman Dee merge them together for me. The blue line is standard in showcase version 2. It seems to me the 3.0 version has more chatter than version 2.0. I have been finding that people seem to prefer no turns in the walkthrough, and various timing from on scan to another, so WP3DModels works very well to adjust the timing. Here is a page I created for my client, https://808virtually.com/hokulia/
Post 16 IP   flag post
Thanks so much for all the feedback, peeps! I think it turned out pretty good. Any feedback?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Great you were able to tie the upstairs in with the downstairs!

As far as feedback, I prefer the walkthrough tour versus the slideshow.

You could hide a few scan locations that are not needed, making the journey through the space smoother.
Post 18 IP   flag post
101429 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?