Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
LightingScanning

Scanning with no available light revisited7524

sbl110 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Everyone,

I know this subject came up before and there were many solutions proposed. I wanted to experiment on my own and see if I could scan a space in total darkness with an inexpensive light source. So I wanted to share my results and get feedback from the forum.

I did a two scans of a small basement, once with the lights off, and again with normal lighting. I did seven scans trying to match the same camera locations for comparison sake. I did not trim the spaces as the dollhouse was not my goal. See what you think.

The light source is a Bell & Howell light bar purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond for $20.00. Here is a link to the unit:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/bell-howell-rechargeable-60-light-led-light-bar/1062105835?opbthead=true&ta=typeahead&Keyword=bell-howell-light-bar

All I did was balance the light bar on top of the Matterport camera and scan as usual. Some small double-sided Velcro might help keep the bar steady for larger venues. Here's a picture of how the setup looks:

The light bar is light enough so that it doesn't put any strain on the camera. It's rechargeable and lasts for hours on a single charge.

Again, just wanted to share my findings. Questions, comments, suggestions are all welcome. Thanks for looking.

Scott
Post 1 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
@sbl110

Hi there

- sorry can you just clarify for me -

Did you use the additional light source in both scans or just the lights out scan?

Thanks

Marcia
Post 2 IP   flag post
sbl110 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Marcia,

In the "Lights off" model, I only used the Bell & Howell light bar. Note, the room was pitch black, so there was no additional light source (even covered up the window) that might pollute the scan. In the "Lights on" model, I did not use the light bar, just the ceiling lights that were available in the basement.

Thanks for the question.

Scott
Post 3 IP   flag post
101432 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?