Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Business DevelopmentMarketingOutsourcingPhoto RetouchingPhotoAndVideoEdits.comSalesVideo Editing

Do It Yourself or Outsource?7409

WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

Screen Grab: Glassdoor email sent to Dan Smigrod on Wednesday, 4 July 2018

---

Hi All,

Congratulations!

You are so busy, you don't have time for your friends, family or you!

You wear all the hats and do everything yourself:

✓ sales
✓ marketing
✓ shoot
✓ post production
✓ deliver
✓ invoice
✓ collect

As you know, if you are busy shooting or doing post production, you take time away from either business development (marketing, sales) or personal time with friends, family or you.

If you are on this hamster wheel, think about what earns you the most money? And, while you might think it is shooting photos, video, aerial, Matterport or post production, it really is marketing and sales: everything else can be outsourced to free up your time for more marketing and sales.

According to Glassdoor in an email I received yesterday (4 July 2018), the average base pay for a photographer in Atlanta is $30,674 per year. In San Jose, it's $41,115, in San Francisco $37,791). And, in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN it is $38,604.

If you want to earn triple, you (eventually) need to outsource shooting by either engaging freelancers or hiring.

That said, the likely easiest place to begin outsourcing, is photo and video editing which is:

✓ labor intensive (for you)
✓ often done by you at night (after your shoots)
✓ likely the same (or better) quality than your editing
✓ not going to compete with you (versus engaging a freelancer to shoot)

I could imagine that editing is hard to let go. You have taken a long time to master the tools to produce excellent quality. And, your concern is likely that if you outsource photo and video editing, the quality will not be up to your standards.

And, the quality may not be. So? Think of yourself as a business person - rather than an artist. That's important. Because when you start thinking about how you can make the most money, good enough editing quality will likely be good enough.

Seriously, your standards for photo and video editing may be working yourself to death - or, at least telling friends and family that you have no time for this or that because you have to edit to get the work to the Client tomorrow morning.

First, stop promising tomorrow morning (or at least charge a premium for anything else than 48 hours) and second, realize that photo and video editing by a 3rd party service that specializes in editing can be good enough to free-up your evenings for family, friends or you, AND, make more money. Plus, you'll get a promise of 24 hours with work likely delivered and ready when you wake up.

Think bigger than being a one person band. If you are going to get to the next level, you need to outsource and begin scaling.

On a recent WGAN-TV Live at 5 show, I chatted at length with PhotoAndVideoEdits.com Founder Colin Forte about outsourcing. Colin - whom has sold millions of dollars in real estate before setting up Hometakes and PhotoAndVideoEdits.com - summed up our discussion in this video at 1:51:00. "Focus on what brings in money ... get more clients; get more shoots," Colin told me.

You can learn more about PhotoAndVideoEdits.com – including Special Offers for WGAN Forum Members and for WGAN Standard and Premium Member – here:

New! Photo & Video Editing Service for MSPs
✓ All WGAN Forum discussions tagged: PhotoAndVideoEdits.com
PhotoAndVideoEdits.com | @Hometakes | @PhotoAndVideoEdits | LinkedIn | Twitter

What's holding you back from outsourcing today?

Best,

Dan
WGAN-TV Best Practices Shooting Real Estate Video and PhotoAndVideoEdits.com Demo and Discussion with Founder Colin Forte. At 1:51:00, Colin summarizes our discussion about outsourcing.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Bernardhhi private msg quote post Address this user
Dan

We do not outsource, however, I definitely advise anyone in real estate that they should hire professional photographers and videographers while they concentrate on money making activities ie prospecting, showing and negptiating.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Photo - Video
Editing Service
PhotoAndVideoEdits private msg quote post Address this user
@Bernardhhi. You are completely right about that. The more listings they get, the more money they will make. Watch my video interview with Dan as I mention the same type of scenario but it applies to photographers. The money is made in doing more shoots which means you should continously be prospecting for more clients. Could you handle 200 shoots per week with your current set up and get some sleep and have a life?

The additional shoots you get way out way the cost of outsourcing the editing and your bottom line will increase significantly.
Post 3 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Bernardhhi
Dan

We do not outsource, however, I definitely advise anyone in real estate that they should hire professional photographers and videographers while they concentrate on money making activities ie prospecting, showing and negptiating.

Yes. I see some irony here. All photographers tell their real estate agent Clients to outsource photography so that the agent can free-up time to focus on revenue generation: get more listing presentations, win more listing presentations, get big listings, etc.

Seems like the same should apply to photographers on workflow that can be outsourced ...

Best,

Dan
Post 4 IP   flag post
Photo - Video
Editing Service
PhotoAndVideoEdits private msg quote post Address this user
Yes Dan, it works exactly the same..... What I have found is photographers have a hard time letting photos go out to Realtors unless they are perfect in the photographers eyes. Thats fine if you are getting paid mega bucks for your shoot. But getting paid mega bucks from an agent is not the norm. Agents want to pay as little as they can. So why would you give them "Your Perfectionist photos" unless they are paying you for them? Make more money with less stress and just cut that out.

Its wasted time and effort on the photographers part, worrying over stuff thats not perfect in the photographers eyes. 99% of agents would not see a difference unless your perfect photos were side by side and I would go so far as to say you may have to point them out to them.

What the photographer should care about is the Realtor being happy with the photos, not themselves. Realtors are very quick to tell you if there is something they don't like about a photo. As long as you get it fixed for them thats all the photographer should worry about. That is of course you want to make more money with less stress.

I can say this with experience as I own a Photo and Video tour company too (as well as being a realtor before that who use to pay $600 just for a photo shoot) and we operate that way. We have very happy clients and my stress level is non existent.
Post 5 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
Colin @PhotoAndVideoEdits

I look forward to you being my guest today (Wednesday, 18 July 2018) at 5 pm ET (GMT -4) on WGAN-TV Live at 5.

I'll add to my list of questions to ask you about perfection versus good enough.

Best,

Dan
Post 6 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia

Post 7 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyv_3Unt0jF4OZE550wXB1Q?view_as=subscriber
Post 8 IP   flag post
101436 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?