Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 723 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,655 Page Views | 18,601 Unique Visitors | 39 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
3D ShowcaseAdviceMobileMuseums

Matterport 3D Showcase on Mobile Phones7344

Riaan private msg quote post Address this user
I have been targeting the museums in our local city and the museum management team seems to be positive however their website developer have voiced some concerns as per below:

“This system looks good but I recently looked at the user statistics for the xxx Museums website and over 40% of the users are on mobile phones. My concerns would be that something like this would be too resource or data intensive for the average user on a cell phone, i.e. it may be too advanced for their cell phones or would use too much data, but maybe there is a low resolution option for cell phones.”

I searched the Forum but could not find anything dealing directly with Matterport Showcases and how resource or data intensive it is when viewed on mobile phones.

How can I answer his concerns?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Missoula, MT
rpetersn private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Riaan...

Matterport does make some optimizations for their content when a mobile user is detected, so the amount of data and number of resources required is definitely less for these devices. Additionally, the power harnessed in even a standard smartphone these days is almost certainly enough to use/navigate these tours. Considering that people are upgrading their phones at a much faster pace than their desktop computers, I don't feel that the "resource" consumption is much of a concern. When it comes to data though, yes, these tours gobble up a fair bit.

My quick test of this Matterport Demo found that (on a mobile emulator) it consumes just over 7MB to load the tour, and then more as you start to navigate. This tour has lots of bells/whistles & was created with a Pro2...so it is likely at the upper end of tour (data) size.

This can be lessened some by adding the "qs" parameter to "quick start" a tour, dropping the initial consumption by 1+ MB.

That said though, you also can't be sure that the 40% of visitors are using cellular data. Many are likely on their work/home/coffee shop WiFi Networks.

Bottom line (my opinion) is that this shouldn't be too much of a concern for the museum, especially if you were to put the Matterport tour behind a click so that the user must electively click to "launch" the Matterport tour...maybe even adding a bit of disclaimer text. This will limit that initial 6+MB load to only those that ask for it.

[Shameless plug]
Our WordPress Plugin "WP3D Models" offers the ability to easily embed Matterport content in the manner described above.
Post 2 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpetersn
[Shameless plug]
Our WordPress Plugin "WP3D Models" offers the ability to easily embed Matterport content in the manner described above.

More Shameless plug ...

WGAN Standard and Premium Members get the free use of WP3D Models Wordpress Plugin.

Best,

Dan
Post 3 IP   flag post
Property3dNZ private msg quote post Address this user
I have worked extensively with museums here in NZ. Be ready for them to ask questions and be concerned about hosting and the lack of ability for them to host the scans themselves. Once they realise this they do sway from MP as they are concerned about the lifeline of MP and the "what if's". Dependant on what the long term goals are for them - for Auckland War Memorial it has been largely for archival purposes.
We have pushed them across to DSLR panos and we create Virtual Tours for them so have managed to keep their business - but this is purely only because of how strong my relationship with them is.
Just want you to be aware and be prepared for what questions may come!
Post 4 IP   flag post
WGAN Forum
Founder &
WGAN-TV Podcast
Host
Atlanta, Georgia
DanSmigrod private msg quote post Address this user

@Riaan

How about offering to do one floor or gallery at no charge to help move the conversation forward?

Get them focused on the content rather than a thousand reasons not to go forward.

I shot the first floor of this Museum at no charge. (It's a rotating exhibit.) Plus, there are five floors. Shortly after I delivered the 3D Tour, our champion at the Museum moved on. That said, we had a ton a visibility with the real estate developer-founder that I was thrilled about, including the use of MatterTags to annotate the space.

Best,

Dan
Post 5 IP   flag post
101421 5 5
This topic is archived. Start new topic?