Helping You Connect the Dots to Succeed Faster
WGAN-TV: Now Playing
Next on WGAN-TV Live at 5
Free WGAN Map
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see the number of Matterport Pro3s and/or BLK360s for each Matterport Pro.
View WGAN Map
Contact Info
Locations of Matterport Pro3 Camera Service Providers and see name, company, website, email and mobile phone for each Matterport Pro.
Join WGAN Sponsor
Get on the Map | A Service of We Get Around Network (not affiliated with Matterport)
One Order  |  One Quote  |  One Contact
Book Multiple GLOBAL Commercial Locations
  • ✔  As-Builts
  • ✔  Construction Progress
  • ✔  Facilities Management
Last 24 Hours: 713 Unique Visitors
9,032 WGAN Members in 148 Countries
Last 30 Days: 38,564 Page Views | 18,538 Unique Visitors | 37 New Members
We Get Around Network Forum
Quick Start | WGAN Forum
Google Street ViewGSVInsta360 ProRDTosolini Productions

[R&D] Using the Insta360 Pro for Google Street View7302

Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
Following the very informative Google Street View (GSV) Summit, I got excited to try my Insta360 Pro and start capturing street footage.

I ordered the GPS module, the CAMTREE G-51 Professional Gripper Campod Car Mount Stabilizer, and mounted the camera on top of my car. Then I set the Insta360 with the recommended GSV settings to capture 5 FPS 8K video, and off I went.

Once I returned, I stitched the footage into 8K videos and uploaded them to GSV. Within 24h, my contribution was online.

Some notes from this experiment:
- The car mount seems robust enough and it worked quite well
- The camera should be positioned even higher than what I did
- The nadir needs some work to make it a bit cleaner
- The resolution doesn't come close to what the real Google Maps car offers
- I decided to no blur faces

That said, I was pleased with this test. Here is some footage ...

Special thanks to Chris Petracco and Federico Debetto for their technical guidance.

Post 1 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
I find the Insta360Pro is an excellent camera which I use for behind-the-scenes shoots and 180 and 360 standup's. I've shot on location with another crew using an Ozo and the footage is very hard to tell the difference. To be honest I preferred the Insta360Pro footage and the processing of the footage is a no brainier compared to the process for the Ozo. I have to omit I haven't tried shooting stills but it looks very acceptable to me for GSV. Especially compared to when I use to shoot for GSV and has to use my DSLR with a 8mm lens and a pano head. So the camera is truly an all around workhouse. The Insta360Pro is also being used by the BBC and National Geographic to shoot their 360 footage. Insta360 has done a great job in producing a production camera at a price point that most pro's can afford.
Post 2 IP   flag post
AndreVanKets private msg quote post Address this user
Great to see a simple and practical example of what Google is hoping to achieve from the new consumer-level cameras for their SV-contributions.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Frisco, Texas
Metroplex360 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreVanKets
Great to see a simple and practical example of what Google is hoping to achieve from the new consumer-level cameras for their SV-contributions.

Andre! It's wonderful to see you here on the WGAN Forum!

I enjoyed sharing the back seat of an Uber with you at GSV on the way to Karaoke. We've purchased the NCTech iStar Pulsar and I immediately thought of the story that you told me concerning Google's strict requirements as to what sort of vehicles they were comfortable with your team mounting their own equipment to.

With your Trekkers, you did not need to worry about your nadir as Google's processing eliminates anything in the nadir and replaces it with textures that seem quite natural and don't stick out.

For those of us like Paolo and I, my first thoughts on setting up our own 'car' are: #1) Nadir and #2) Height.

In the case of using the Insta360 Pro or the NCTech iStar Pulsar, I don't believe that we have the luxury of automatic Nadir correction; therefore reducing the nadir is important -- however, being too high in order to do this would potentially create an odd user experience.

What are your thoughts?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Tosolini
Productions
Bellevue, Washington
Tosolini private msg quote post Address this user
@metroplex, here is a link to our GSV footage (I drove around Microsoft main campus in Redmond, WA).

And here is the nadir.

@garysnyder I think it'd be interesting to compare the GSV outcome from the 8K 5FPS video vs. assembling a bunch of high quality photos.
Post 5 IP   flag post
GarySnyder private msg quote post Address this user
@Tosolini I agree as it would be interesting to see how GSV processes the footage. If that was the case it would be far easier to create content for GSV.
Post 6 IP   flag post
101436 6 6